Project: '69 521 Z20ET

kaliboy96

i think i said this earlier, white smoke is water. If its white/bluish its oil. compressor housing shouldn't be that oily, but that can also be from blow by, depending on how your setup was setup. Ebay turbo's are pretty horrible from previous owners experiences. You'd be better off with a garrett or a holset. One thing people have done is by the cheap ebay turbo's and rebuilt them with garrett internals. If your turbo has a T3 flange, it is a T3 turbo. T28's have a smaller flange. I suggest you keep on reading some more articles on the web. Google up turbo's, ebay turbo's, T28, T3.... You should know the differences when building up your ride.

I figured that too, just wanted to get an ideal on what trims are safe to use my understanding was the compressor trim was not as important as the turbine trim. Mine is .63 so I was wondering can I go with a 70 trim on the compressor side or should I just stay close to the original?

As for the smoke there is oil in the exhaust manifold as well. Not sure if the rings are blown but the motor was just rebuilt before I purchased it, so I doubt thats it. The smoke is not constant its only when I give it gas or right on start-up when idling there is no smoke. When I pulled the turbo completely apart there was a good amount of oil leaking thru on the turbine side. So I think it best to replace it now. Turboing a car is not the easiest thing to understand :huh:

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I dont think its the valve seals Mike. The motor was just rebuilt it only has about 600 miles on it, and it was not turboed after the rebuild. So I doubt the problem is internal the turbo came off an old 300zx and wasnt checked out before it was placed on the motor. Im going to try this change first, if it fixes the problem great! If it doesnt at least I will have a new part I can trust instead of an old used one! :D

Hey off hand does anyone know if a L20B crank pulley will fit the Z20E I came across this part and if it fits it looks like it might provide an easier mounting option for the 36-1 trigger wheel? If it does fit will it have any adverse affects on performance its a little smaller than the one I have on now!

http://www.bhjdynami...products_id=182

L20B and Z20E pulleys are same number except where it has an option like power steering or air con.