Just Another Wagon Thread

DRIVEN

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

The power is more than adequate. I've read that this engine makes peak torque all the way from 2400-4400rpm and it certainly feels that way. On my trip to the beach a few weeks ago I never had to shift out of 5th no matter how steep the hill or slow traffic was. Like I've said all along, it was built as a cruiser not a racer. As far as exhibition of speed goes -- the verdict is still out. I don't know if I'd call it fast but it can't even be compared to a stock L20b. It's probably comparable to a KA car.

Got a little done today. First photo is my "Ralley" ride height.

001-14.jpg

Pulled the springs and set them next to the set I got from Mike. I think the stockers had been clipped a bit. The end ride height is about 1.5" lower than my blue wagon.

002-10.jpg

End ride height (which I expect to settle even more once it is driven around...

003-13.jpg

That's a 5" drop! The front wheels are toed out probably an inch but I will need to replace ball joints and tie rod ends first.

I also removed the fighting dragon tramp-stamp from the windshield.

004-8.jpg

Replaced the lame stock wheel with a 240Z...

007-2.jpg

Parting shot...

0022-1.jpg

I just got an 81 510 wagon and I cut one full coil off and it sits at 24in and I wat it to sit alot lower them that maybe 20in

• 2 weeks later...

I saw your goon at Blue Lake...about five dudes and I couldn't figure out what kinda engine that was. It's perfect! Heads scratch en and turning over like they heard a far off whistle. Love that. Nice build thread and sick car! You've convinced me I need to learn to weld...seems every dude that puts out a sick ride welds the crap out of stuff.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...

I did an update for my cowl/deflector in the How-To section so I thought I'd put it here too since it's been 7 months between updates.

Anyway, The pics tell the story. Thanks goes out to Jayden for the tailgate donation :thumbup: .

002-50.jpg

004-33.jpg

003-42.jpg

When the weather gets consistantly better I'll put the rack back on the car and take some pics. Let me know what you guys think.

• 2 weeks later...

Sweet :) I like it!

Hopefully, it won't "sing" in the wind.

Dammit, Mike. You called it. I made a run over to Orchards yesterday which meant freeway speeds for the first time since the letters were added. It sings alright. The tune is really similar to a bad wheel bearing. Made me nervous for a second until I realized what it was.

nice! I prefer "torquier" engines myself which is why I went with a Z24 swap instead of a L20B. Prior to this car, I owned a couple of Cavaliers, one with the LN2 and one with the L61 Ecotec. The reason I went away from them was simply because of the local Chevrolet dealership(and I wanted something with RWD)...my 2005 had an issue with the ECM and was somehow shorting out and loosing communication during cold start up, as soon as it was warm it would start fine. The car was under warranty, and after 6 trips back to the dealership for "repairs", and them performing 3 carbon cleanings on it and saying it was my fault because I ran 92 octane gasoline in the car, the 7th trip I was sick of it, sold the car, and swore I wasn't buying a new chevy again.

I like the cars, I like the engines, not so thrilled about chevy service...been buying Nissans and Toyotas since '06.

I love the swap, I like seeing oddball stuff, and the swap looks clean. Personal opinion, but I think it would look sweet to either have a full intake on it, or perhaps a classic style large round air filter...that small one reminds me of a motorcycle air filter for some reason and looks out of place on a LD9. That, and get some pretty plug wires for it! (not because of the performance increase, but they would look sweet on that engine).

Spades - Sorry to hear that your dealership let you down.

I totally agree that the K&N looks kind of awkward. I plan on a full length CAI but, like everything else on this project, there's no good factory fit kit. I just haven't gotten around to getting one and making it fit. Keeping it from getting too ricey can be a challenge. Plug wires are bland, I know. They are actually shortened wires taken from an F150 that I did a tune up on. Such a cheap skate.

Dammit, Mike. You called it. I made a run over to Orchards yesterday which meant freeway speeds for the first time since the letters were added. It sings alright. The tune is really similar to a bad wheel bearing. Made me nervous for a second until I realized what it was.

do ra me fa so la te DOH!!!! :)

Spades - Sorry to hear that your dealership let you down.

I totally agree that the K&N looks kind of awkward. I plan on a full length CAI but, like everything else on this project, there's no good factory fit kit. I just haven't gotten around to getting one and making it fit. Keeping it from getting too ricey can be a challenge. Plug wires are bland, I know. They are actually shortened wires taken from an F150 that I did a tune up on. Such a cheap skate.

You might try a Weapon R intake for the Ecotec, chop it to fit, and use your existing K&N filter. It would give you all the pieces you need and won't break the bank. As far as the dealer goes...meh...I don't dislike the cars, just the service. The engine you have is a fine choice if you keep good coolant in it and do not throw boost at it without major modification. Perhaps a set of bright plugwires would be too "ricey"...but a set of red Accel, Taylor, or even cheaper Federal premiums from baxters would match the rest of the red stuff in the engine bay and add some contrast without looking ricey or taking away from a very unique swap (in my opinion). If you were to cover everything in colored plastic wire loom, well, that might be different story.

Regardless, keep up the good work!

I'm going to drive it for a few months to make sure there are no more mechanical/electrical issues. Rack and Pinion steering would be nice. Hopefully I can pin my brother (BACKWOODS DAVE) down and get it painted before next summer. We'll see.

Solid wagon! Still thinking of paint before Canby?

Looking forward to seeing your swap in person.

--carter

No chance of paint before Canby. I reshuffled my priorities a bit. I'm doing an engine refresh and transmission upgrade on my Cutlass over the next week. It's been parked since '08 and needs to be ready for a show the weekend before Canby. After that I'll be doing a transmission swap and some other upgrades on my brother's Westy so he can be ready for camping season. Once that's done I'll be doing an LT1 install in his '36 Ford pickup. That will be followed by the chassis build for my '35 Ford pickup. Soooo paint for the wagon will be at least a year out. I'll be lucky to get tires and brakes on it before Canby.

• Like 1

At least you have your priorities right! Unemployment running out, property taxes due, holidays looming, but wait a minute, what's that? A Datsun wagon! Seriously, you will need transportation and that wagon will be just what you need. Good luck!

"You can sleep in your car but you can't drive your house"

• Like 1