Just Another Wagon Thread

DRIVEN

That looks awesome! What cars did these come in?

Thanks.

They came in these cars:

* 1996–2002 Chevrolet Cavalier Z24

* 1996–2001 Pontiac Sunfire GT

* 1996–2001 Pontiac Grand Am

* 1996–1998 Oldsmobile Achieva

* 1999–2001 Oldsmobile Alero

* 1997–1999 Chevrolet Malibu

* 1997–1999 Buick Skylark

Never offered as RWD. The first one I pulled was from a Grand Am GT. The one I used was from an Alero.

I had a fiero with a Quad4 in it

That would have been fun. Rumor has it that the Fiero was supposed to get the Quad as an option but it never panned out. Maybe if they had done that it'd still be around.

Love the Swap. Have been considering a GM Powertrain in the past as well. 2.0L Ecotec RWD Turbocharged with a 5 speed would be CRAZY TALK in a Datsun. Before those of you who are SR this and KA that go and scoff at this man's install I say Bravo, good choice, gotta love the Parts Availability and its his background! I assume that like Skib, and Nismo Dr, etc alot of the Ratsun People Started Nissan and got older in their tastes and wanting to differ themselves from all the other Nissans out there. I'm guessing thats how alot of you got into Datsuns, or what you were into before.

Very Cool Build Driven.

Radio

Thanks. I wish I could afford an LNF (2.0 turbo) but it would quadruple the cost of the swap. Maybe version 4.0 of the wagon might get that.

Very sweet! :)

Thanks.

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It is called the 2.4 Twin Cam (LD9). It hasn't run for more than 2 seconds yet because of the anti-theft roadblock so I can't say if there are any real issues yet. All emissions have been deleted. There wasn't really much to begin with. No AIR pump or EGR anyway. Until I get the reflash it will run fine but set codes for EVAP, downstream O2 and the missing automatic that it's still looking for.

• 3 weeks later...

Not really. I tried a VATS simulator but it wasn't compatible with my system. Then I started looking for a tuner who could just burn it out. Come to find out, my PCM is the one year that can't be cracked. That meant another trip to the yard for a '97-'98 PCM. As (my) luck would have it the plugs are completely different. I had to disassemble the original 3 32-pin connectors and re-index them into the 2 new 80-pin connectors. There were also a hand full of wires in the harness that needed to be separated. At this point I'm just waiting on my tuner to work out a program and send me a hand held so I can flash it and start driving. The car has been basically done for a couple weeks. It's frustrating to have to wait on other people.

'97-'98 top. '96 bottom.

009-7.jpg

• 1 month later...

Well after waiting for about a month, my tune came in yesterday. I was initially expecting a hand-held programmer but due to the nature of my application it required the "black box".

001-46.jpg

So, laptop-cable-black box-cable-ALDL-harness-ECM. Then I basically emailed the new tune to my ECM. Hit the key and it fired right up. I drove it to the gas station and grocery store this morning and all I can say is...HO-LY-FUCK! This is twice the engine the L20b ever thought of being. There are some temperature inconsistencies that make me think my new thermostat may be defective and the exhaust is kinda raspy but so far I'm really impressed. Next step is to build a permanent ECM mount since my old one doesn't fit. Back to work for me...

I plan to add a bleeder to the top of the WP housing. If that doesn't do it I'll swipe the vacuum filler from the shop. I really like being able to fill it on the side of the road just in case. You don't always have a vacuum filler and a compressor in the trunk when you're on a long trip :huh: .

Nice build.

Thanks so much.

next we need some videos of it running.

I wonder if the drive line from a SKY would work....the turbo one of course.

Sorry, don't have a way to shoot video. The Sky/Solstice would have been a great choice if $$$ was not a factor.

nice wagon . luv the color and the black hood

Thank you. Look for a complete color change before Canby 2012.

I appreciate the comments. Honestly, I'm really pleased with the power level as-is. I've been driving it around for 2 days now and I can't get over how much more civilized it is than the L20b that it replaced. Smoother, quieter, better mpg, and waaay torqueyer. So far no mechanical or electrical problem. I still need to get a permanent set of gauges in it. After that I'd feel more comfortable running it across the state and back. I'm curious to see what kind of mpg it does on the freeway. Maybe it could accommodate a 3.54 ratio. From the beginning it was intended to be a driver rather than a racecar. At this point it's just time to drive and refine.

Congrats on getting it on the road!

Nice work. It looks like a 280zx 5-speed. I see you created the transmission bellhousing adaptor. Was there not a input shaft incompatability?

Trifecta tune helped you aroun the VATS, I presume. How does Trifecta compare to EFILive? I'm working on a similar project and I'd be curious how happy you are with the Trifecta

It actually went together pretty easy. The stock L series pilot bushing is almost a perfect fit to the Quad crankshaft. It required a wrap of shim stock (.010"?) to make it tight. The flywheel is for the Quad as is the pressure plate. The clutch disk is '78 620. I think that's what the transmission was from but should be essentially the same as a 280z. The Quad and Datsun discs are exactly the same dimension except for the splines. Since the flywheel is a dished design and there is an adapter plate, there was a 3/4" offset in the spline engagement. I scribed the bellhousing and cut it close with a jigsaw then took it to the scribe line with a grinder. I also had to notch out some clearance for the starter nosecone. The throwout bearing, fork, and slave cylinder were unaltered. I've got probably 200 trouble-free miles on it at this point. It actually shifts smoother now than it did before. Better alignment than factory? Might just be the new gear oil.

002-32.jpg

013-4.jpg

007-6.jpg

Trifecta did a custom program for me. Vince just turned off the VATS along with his standard "performance tune" for this engine. I am happy with the final product. I wasn't too impressed with the amount of time it took. This was a combination of my vacation schedule, his vacation schedule, I think he had a business move in there, and the unconventional nature of my application. He also prefers to deal by email only. I, however, would rather just rather work it out in a 2 minute phone call rather than volley emails for 2 days. The product itself is great. Here's his site.

http://trifectaperformance.com

Awsome swap! I Do like the looks of the engine. What mods were needed on the crossmember t fit? Seeing how the exhaust is on the passenger side, was the pipe crossed over to the left? Where abouts? Does it scrape? It seems the wiring is a bit simpler to go through, is that the case? How much would the adapter plate cost to reproduce?

The crossmember was sectioned at the hump. The lower part was left intact. Then I welded some angle to the bottom side. Please try to ignore my shitty overhead welds. The stock swaybar still fits. I used the original engine stands and L motor mounts and made my own Quad engine mounts. Structurally, I'm sure it's not as rigid as stock but it doesn't feel any different. I plan on running a triangulated strut brace soon anyway.

004-23.jpg

005-17.jpg

The exhaust crosses over right behind the trans crossmember. It doesn't scrape anywhere unless you take a tall speed bump at a 45* angle. My 1200 scrapes worse. I had about $20 in materials to make the adapter plate. I spent several hours making it. If I had my original an the bench -- it wouldn't be that big of a deal. Since I'd have to pull my transmission to get it out -- pretty expensive :D .

This is the alternative:

manual

http://quad4rods.com/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=shop.flypage&product_id=1&category_id=1&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=100041

automatic

http://quad4rods.com/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=shop.flypage&product_id=32&category_id=1&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=100041

Drove it to the beach on Saturday. I'm pretty confident in the mechanicals now. There are some electrical weak points that I'd like to clean up and streamline. I also still have alot of the original engine compartment harness with unused circuit that need to be eliminated. I have the day off so I'll probably work on that today.