L series efi

dimedude

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

i actually found one about two weeks ago on ebay australia the seller said he would ship it to the states but i havnt heard any thing from him for a week now so i think it might have fell through and i was thinking about cutting down the z manifold but i dont have a tig welder

let me present a neat suggestion :D

:cool: this is going to be my next intake project......

http://forums.hybridz.org/showthread.php?t=124201&highlight=throttle+body+manifold

an EFI mani is cut right after the injector mounting bolt hole and welded to duel SU mani and then fitted with twin throttle bodies

TonyD did one where there was just 2 large injectors per TB and it was all mounted inside hollowed out SU's.

totally looks like its running normal SU's but its really EFI. wish I could find a pic of it.

Edited by Skib
  • 1 month later...

Reviving a old thread. I don't get a chance to be on this site much, but will this manifold do the trick?

http://www.the510realm.com/download/file.php?id=7145&t=1

I made these manifolds 15 years ago, and still have the patterns. Due to an absolute lack of interest, I have

Byron,

I was looking at your "Bronze" project on the Realm and wondered where your manifold came from. Thanks for the answer, I'm sure in my search I overlooked your stating it.

The issue I have is the intake track length and installation of air cleaners interfering with the stock brake master. I saw that you went from modified carbs for your throttle control to a short, dual butterfly, throttle bodies.

To me, including the butterflies made into your original manifold making it a complete ITB manifold would be a natural progression if these were to be re-cast. Also it could be an opportunity for the runners to be straighten going into the port and not have to curve to match the side draft base pattern.

Any future thoughts on reintroducing the L series manifold, this time as ITB?

Edited by Dime Dave

All depends on what your willing to spend, and what tools you have on hand. I have both a tig welder, an extra Z manifold sitting here at the house, and an extra L head to mock it up on.......soo I'd be all over just shortening one.

Last time I checked an L4 efi manifold was $200+

To me, including the butterflies made into your original manifold making it a complete ITB manifold would be a natural progression if these were to be re-cast. Also it could be an opportunity for the runners to be straighten going into the port and not have to curve to match the side draft base pattern.

Any future thoughts on reintroducing the L series manifold, this time as ITB?

I would agree, Dave. This would be an ideal set up, but the cost for such low production numbers is really high per piece, and to honest, it's beyond the capability of my Bridgeport style manual milling machine which means farming out the machine work. For most guys wanting to keep an L series in a 510, it puts the cost of the project far beyond their wallets.

I made this L series EFI manifold originally in 1993, my first buyer wasn't until 1997, and I averaged 1 or 2 sales a year with this part until they were gone in 2007. I have two left - one on the Bronze, and one on the bench (in the photo above). My hand made individual runner throttle bodies were a pile of work on my little mill. I used new Webber throttle shafts and plates, and then just turned two rather larger chunks of aluminum into chips! I love em, but there just no way I could charge out my time on them. Trust me, if I were to even charge $50/hour the total cost would make TWM's complete IR EFI set up a bargain! This is the real reason why I haven

http://www.extrudabody.biz/servlet/the-135/Twin-SU-SU%27s-MGB/Detail

When I was considering going FI on my roadster I looked at these for a bit.

i scored a complete setup of thier 1st issue ITB's for the LZ22.

i may have the opportunity to upgrade to their current setup, before i try to install it :D

Edited by hang_510

I think I'm the only one who doesn't like the extruda lol. They seem so boxy/ridged and ugly, and still somehow still lack character. They don't match ANYTHING in a datsun engine bay esp a l series.

For the money I would go with jenvey. They even offer barrel type in dcoe format which is way superior to typical butterfly.

Edited by 72240z
I think I'm the only one who doesn't like the extruda lol. They seem so boxy/ridged and ugly, and still somehow still lack character. They don't match ANYTHING in a datsun engine bay esp a l series.

For the money I would go with jenvey. They even offer barrel type in dcoe format which is way superior to typical butterfly.

Heh, agreed I think I just think ANY FI on a l-series 4 banger is pretty hot! But some of the manifolds made right here on Ratsun are way sexier!

The guy that is behind Extrudabody is a complete asshole. A couple years ago he was selling motorcycle ITB setups for L series four cylinders. I bought one from him. After a few days he says "my welder is injured. It will be a few weeks, or longer before I can ship it to you." After him completely freaking out on me, name calling and the whole lot I filed a paypal claim to get my money back. It took a while, but I got it. I, personally, won't ever deal with him again.

http://forums.hybridz.org/showthread.php?t=124201&highlight=EFI+manifold

This is the thread for the SU manifolds converted to EFI, years back I used a 4cyl L series EFI manifold obtained from a Japanese engine exchange. Finding one of these manifolds would be an easy solution. I have seen a turbo L series use a narrowed 6 cyl N42 non EGR manifold, the motor ran great.

• 2 weeks later...