Tuesday's Winter Project (Turd-Dime)

kiznook

so here's the beast, we picked this thing up for free.99 from a dude that paid $2000 just a couple of months ago. Word is that the L20 is "blown" really we're 95% sure it's just the starter :eek:

This car is full of wonderful surprises. plenty of things need attention.

The plan:

Pull the L20 and 5speed

Pull all useful parts for mine and Dislexic's cars (improper sentence)

Install TOP SECRET motor setup :D

possibly all new and ALL custom front and rear suspension

Patch up the body some, It's not going to be pretty, but it will be fast!

So for now, on with the pics & captions. Updates to come...probably this time next week, maybe sooner.

mostly (straight I guess). Here you can see the shaved gas door, and both passenger doors. Why do you need more than one door handle right? You can also KIND OF see the alignment on the rear wheel here...more on that later

P1000501.jpg

here you can see where the newest flat black has been applied. Under that is shit brown. notice the corolla wheels Josh installed. These probably wont stay

P1000504.jpg

Again, the car is actually pretty straight. here you can see the one remaining door handle. AND the awesome BMW fender vent...keep reading

P1000506.jpg

Yeah this car DID have nearly perfect fenders. That is until the PO got the genious (drunken) idea to hack them all to shit :( :mad:

P1000507.jpg

P1000508.jpg

P1000509.jpg

Pretty nice dash, only small "dings" (a lot like you get on a surfboard) no big cracks...this wont stay in this car (probably no dash at all actually) You can see one of the wheels that was on the car. Already claimed by Mikey (dislexicdime)

P1000510.jpg

And the first sign of HACK! this car used to have a ford V6 in it (shes been around for years, several different build-ups) Can't get the pictures now...datsun510.com seems to be down. I'll get them later (hopefully)

We will be patching this up, as well as possibly doing a Icehouse SPL exhaust tunnel, time will tell

P1000512.jpg

super sweet steering wheel, complete with NOS horn buttons, and athletic tape to mark center. The PO actually wants this back :confused:

P1000513.jpg

Looks to be a decent L20. Supposed to be "built" u67 head (no coolant ports for intake..JDM?) we'll see, It might end up in my car. all torn up cuz they had to pull that "nismo" header to fuck with me :o

P1000514.jpg

check out the clutch line, and some of the wiring. Lot's of work ahead

P1000515.jpg

peculiar strut top. Probably won't stay (top secret for now)

P1000516.jpg

Remember that wheel that looked like it was aligned weird? we think this might have happened on the dolly, not sure. Looks like someone had done an okay job of building an adjustable crossmember...but now she's all torn off :eek: we'll be fixing that OR more top secret stuff :D

P1000517.jpg

whatever struts/springs they are it sits low! valance is ALL MINE!!

P1000519.jpg

I wonder if this freeze plug leaks :D

P1000524.jpg

This one's for Hainz! Personally I think its best to wrap the EI wires around the coil wire...why not. ESPECIALLY with racing red zip-ties :D

P1000520.jpg

I'll give you a hint...we took the grille off for intercooler mock-up.

Thats all for now. comment, question, guess, FLAME all you want :cool:

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Warning! The following contains a subliminal message. Warning!

If it's the starter, get it running so you know what's not broken.:confused:

Pay the P/O $10 to take his steering wheel back and get a stock or one with a D or DATSUN on it.:rolleyes:

Weld up the floor. If you can shave a door handle, for Pete's sake shave those hideous fender vents off. What motor are you planning to put in it? Now it's ready to work on.:D

All I have to say is that car can only get better :D PO's are so weird sometimes... Why would they make the outside pivot point the adjustable one? The inner is the one that needs the adjusting.... All I can think is they may of had zx arms on it... The need drastic toe adjusting to work in a dime.

Dude the exhaust tunnel is so worth it. I made it over speed bumps in my dime without even the smallest scrap. You guys have seen the ride height. It bottoms out over bumps less than my 620! Shit you already have to weld the floors :D

Keep us posted!!

Haven't decided What I'm going to do with the weber. It's a dgAv but has all the choke parts removed. the tape was our "custom" fix to get it running before the PO drove off into the sunset (to olympia where the car only got worse!) I'll probably end up using it for parts, I think I might have a couple stripped holes on my carb body. If I decide to sell it, I'll post it up here first.

There's another decent race wheel sitting on the floor, I think we'll just use that. PO doesn't have a use for the hub. Or we'll use a different Grant or something.

I think we MIGHT be able to save the fenders. If so, they MIGHT have to go on my car :D they are a bit stretched out for the big ol tires.

ICEHOUSE- both pivots are adjustable. It looks to be a lot like the Byron brackets, if Byron was CRUNK when he designed them! The exhaust tunnel will be good practice for Mikey and I so we'll know what's up when we do our cars :D

as for the engine, it isnt going to be Datsun...or Nissan. But it is Japanese, and if all goes well, it will be boosted!

And I'm pretty sure it's gonna be a 2 door when we're done. with small doors :D

It's not mine, It's our buddy Josh's (Jtek on here...really he's corolla_frenzy) BUT as this is just going to be a fun winter beater project, I'll be robbing parts from it (dislexicdime will too!)

And seriously Hang, I only have 1 510....how many times do I have to tell you :) I wouldn't mind another though

you guy's are close. I wasn't going to tell until we had some pictures of it sitting in there, but that might be a while yet.

4AGE....and if it goes as planned, 4AGTE that's assuming we can get megasquirt to work this time :o

I'll leave the other top secret stuff to be revieled, but I'll give you a hint, front suspension/steering and maybe something new in the rear :D

you guy's are close. I wasn't going to tell until we had some pictures of it sitting in there, but that might be a while yet.

4AGE....and if it goes as planned, 4AGTE that's assuming we can get megasquirt to work this time :o

I'll leave the other top secret stuff to be revieled, but I'll give you a hint, front suspension/steering and maybe something new in the rear :D

dude you suck! see if i ever tell you a secret