Should I trade 620 for 510??

I need alittle advice or input from everyone. I found a 79 510 hatchback in real good shape. Only rust is on the lower back pass. quarter, about the size of a dollar bill with some pin holes. Car is solid, needs paint, L20 with 85,000 miles, interior is good other than front seats could be redone. nice aftermarket rims. One bad thing is it's a automatic, which I think I've got a 5 speed sitting around here out of a 620 (not sure about the drive shaft lengths being the same if I switch out) Well, to get to my point, I asked the guy if he wanted to sell it and said nope, but then took a look at my white 79 620 I drive every day, and said he would trade straight up. My truck runs good, could use a new paint job, has a couple rust spots coming thru, has 132,000 miles on her. I'm really thinking about doing it. I like the looks of the car and been looking for any 210 or 510 here out east and I can't find a good fixer upper. You don't see these things driving around here, never. What do you all think? Anyone know much about the 79 510, good points, bad points? Parts? Thanks

Edited by Rubberman
  • Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I do not not jack didily squat about them , but I about had a stroke when reading this . I thought you were talking about your blue one :eek: you do what you want to do . But before you do something crazy think about this ......... whats better than owning a 620 ....................................................... owning two 620s :lol:

Edited by slam_dat_sun
added to post
I do not not jack didily squat about them , but I about had a stroke when reading this . I thought you were talking about your blue one :eek: you do what you want to do . But before you do something crazy think about this ......... whats better than owning a 620 ....................................................... owning two 620s :lol:

Good one Daniel, no way in hell it would be my Blue baby, I've got to much sweat and money in her. I can locate another 620 to fix up around here, but there's just no 510's around here. I'd rather find a 74 210 to rebuild, but that ain't happenin here. I know it's a 79, but it's still a 510 and most important a DATSUN.

Without pics it's real difficult to say. The HL510 is not nearly as popular as the earlier PL510. Would I do it?...... Only if that 79' 510 was in immaculate condition, and the 620 was in less than great shape. But again, without pics it's hard to say.

i dont see why not as long as there even condition is the a10 a runner (a10 is the chassis code its actually a stanza) these cars can be bad ass

they need some serious jdm help (like the first gen 200sx) but they can still be hot this is the cleanest example i have ever seen

IMG_0979Medium.jpg

IMG_0922Medium.jpg

thats a hard decision, it depends, it sounds to me like one of those things that sounds good then when you do it you wish you didnt, give us some picks if you can, rusty i havent forgot about getting pics of the 510 my g-pa has, i have been working 40+ hours a week and going to school full time, and building a house, i will get to it i promise

a friend has this sitting in his jy, it's a 10/79 510 FHLA10 w/ the z20 5 speed. I don't know if it's still there, I do plan on heading up that way soon and can see if it's still there. What parts are you looking for ?

IMG_0183.jpg

IMG_0185-1.jpg