510 getting the nasty RB26dett

sure it does... it's the tiltnose 510. is this still street driven... i mean is it still registered as a street legal car?

and the candy flames... i was thinking if done properly could look almost have a red anodized look... to match the red chrome pretty well.

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Street driven, (like I ever go to the track) and license is current. They could ticket me for the cage chassis stuff if they wanted. I think fiveoneohray was ticketed for a cage setup in a car once. (Or so I heard-could be myth) I'll work with that paint scheme, it sounds like a challenge. I'm not "all out" on the true flame design but on my S14 Silvia I had true flame on the bumper and then morphed it in to a "Craig Fraser" type of ghost flame to give it a bit more of an old school hot rod touch.

I think the anodized look would be very cool. If I start with white and then silver then touch it with candy red it should look right. Candy over bright silver would be it.

that's what i was thinking... and if you wanted more of a ghost look just spray it right on the black.

and as far as the metal aspect, i was just reading about anodizing at home... it seems to be a simple process. you're basically etching the aluminum with an electrified acid and then adding dyes to make it different colors. not only does it look cool in the end but it's stronger than regular alum would be... it's pretty cool shit.

I have looked into that too but never ventured into setting up the process. It looked simple enough. Of course I would then be tempted to take the I/C and stuff off and anodize them and I just don't need that right now thank you.

Hopefully I will have some more pics to post of the firewall since I started on that today.

They could ticket me for the cage chassis stuff if they wanted. I think fiveoneohray was ticketed for a cage setup in a car once. (Or so I heard-could be myth)

is it an issue for a street car to have a cage, in WA?

i had mine out (bolt-in) when i regsitered it, but i dont think its an issue here :confused:

how many cops even know to look for a 6+pt roll cage? i guess if it becomes an issue in a certain area the cops get special training. in the st.pete clearwater area in florida where i grew up, illegal street racing was huge and so all the cops got special training in recognizing certain things. they started fitting certain cruisers with decimeters to catch people with exhaust that was too loud. turned into tons of court cases of overzealous cops ticketing people for stuff that wasn't even technically illegal. i guess it had a good outcome cause it resulted in alot of people getting a better understanding of laws affecting automotive alterations.

We had an issue like that in Bellingham just north of us. Cops pulling over everything with a loud exhaust. A friend of mine researched the laws and eventually got pulled over, when the cop came up and started giving him gas about his car he pulled out the copy and told him he wasn't out bounds with it. The cop ended up just leaving.:blink:

I'm always amazed at your progress Mark! It sure is taken shape, I love the dash, its rad! In my opinion you got the hardest part done, the turbo piping! I struggle with that stuff so much! You make it look way to easy thats for sure. I have to make it over there and check it out in person.

Tnip: Driveline is actually about 30 inches. I'm with you on the clutch, just get a push truck, just like being at the dirt track again.

Wolf: You're too kind. You can come over anytime and help me skin the back floor. I have determined this time to finish the interior before I go any farther (I.E. wire and fire it) because last time I drove it on the street forever with much of the floor missing and only half a firewall. I get all carried away tuning and ripping up the pavement, then I never complete it.Heaven forbid I should actually finish the wiper setup this time.

not sure where my dad got those flares at, ill have to ask him. i know they arent made for a 510 but they fit real close. my friend also has them on his SR powered AE86. your dimes lookin real good, its alot of the same type of build. we actually were lookin at puttin an RB26 with RB30 heads and AWD on ours but everything in the front wouldnt fit under the hood.

Last night Frank, Curly and I went out to Marks shop. His truck was there but no sign of Mark.... The door was unlocked, and the lights were so we proceeded in. We called out his name with no answer... Curly says I found him! So before waking him we got a picture :D

P1010021.JPG

haha Even using the battery box as a pillow :D

We got a few other pics of the masters work. I wish I would of got a pic of the FC cage, dam that thing was nice!

P1010023.JPG

The RB is just such a dam nice engine. So stylish!

P1010018.JPG

P1010024.JPG

Frank behind the wheel of that beast, what a scary thought :eek:

P1010027.JPG

I was trying to get a good shot of Mark just so everyone could put a face to a user name :D My camera got mad at the low light levels...