510 getting the nasty RB26dett

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Not yet, got the new mounting setup done for the engine and now I am weighing all the options of left hand/right hand drive and the other stuff.

Did you ask your buddies down the way about the racing rack? How far back did you end up moving the engine?

I think I hear Jeff's wheels spinning in his head!!! '68 gettin' power steering soon?

My car needs a diet if there is any hope to keep up with Marks car :D I need to figure out how to get it lighter and faster, I don't think I will be going back to power steering any time soon.

I meant to talk to Lex today but forgot. I will cal them tomorrow and find out the price for them. I ended up staying left hand drive and did a rack setup today. It looks cool but still needs a few more gussets here and there. I got the engine back to a point where only about 3 inches is ahead of the front axle line. It's pretty much just enough room to remove trans bolts.

I meant to talk to Lex today but forgot. I will cal them tomorrow and find out the price for them. I ended up staying left hand drive and did a rack setup today. It looks cool but still needs a few more gussets here and there. I got the engine back to a point where only about 3 inches is ahead of the front axle line. It's pretty much just enough room to remove trans bolts.

Did you end up with the rack in front or in rear of the oil pan?

how far under the cowl is it?... i remember seeing a tiger sunbeam at a car show... talk about stuffing a big motor in a lil car...

The firewall is roughly 10" behind the windshield and the engine is about 3" off the firewall. Technically it goes all the way through the cowl and behind the windshield. If you look through the windshield, you can see about 4 or 5 inches of engine.

Did you end up with the rack in front or in rear of the oil pan?

I put the rack up front but the steering is still rear of the axle. The line from ball joint to knuckle that we were looking at is about 3/4 of an inch behind the axle so I couldn't just flip the spindles. I put the rack up front an built this disturbing looking rack to the back that steers it. It seems to work well and all the power steering lines are still in place and able to be used. All in all it's looking pretty transformer like. I put the steering wheel and such in today and started putting the wiring in today. I also cut that firewall how we had discussed. (or is that disgust)

P.S. There are two racks that they sell and they are 395.00 and 409.00.

A bit, but all things considered mine will probably be changed to that at some point. I may do different spindles and all at some point for the front steer.

M

Sounds like the project is coming along really good :D The steering seemed like the biggest hurtle, with that out of the way it should be smoother sailing. At this rate it will be driving in no time. Any new pics?

The rack pricing doesn't seem to bad, thats what the other one I looked at cost. It will be a while before I need it so I can start saving :D I want to build the crossmember first. Maybe out of tube steel ;)

Well, the latest is that I have completed the front end and steering as of tonight. The rack ended up going behind the sump and avoiding the exhaust route nicely. I re-positioned the lower control arms and got the geometry spot on this time. Camber comes in about 2 degrees (Maybe a little less) on bump and bump steer is not even noticeable. I have the engine wiring in and will be starting the V-mount IC/radiator setup next week. I will also be doing the firewall and remainder of the floor in the next two weeks. Then finish the wiring, exhaust and hopefully fire it. Gotta get a clutch before its all done too. I'll post some new pics next week.

Mark

oh man... flat black, matte deep red true flames with some red chrome accents... hmmmm

err.. no... flat black with some thinned out candy apple red true flames... to match the look of the red chrome accents... idk, whatever looks good and you like hahaha...

checked out the pics, thing looks awesome man, and you couldn't have just settled for the pimp factor of having an rb26dett in a 510, you had to use a silvia s14 floor and firewall.. HA "yea it's pretty trick... i think i'm gonna throw this floor in there to make it even rarer" haha