510 getting the nasty RB26dett

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...

I'd have to measure to know, it ecapes me. (I'm old remember) I did it about four years ago now. I took 8 1/2 inches out if memory serves. The axles are about 12-13 on driver's and 14-15 on pass side. I made these out of 1 1/4" 4340 and machined the inside of the splined cv piece and just welded them on. I will probably do new ones when put the new Nismo dif in and use the bigger 6 bolt GTR axles. I will probably have them re-splined next time even though these are holding well.

ooh come on kyle....how bout your old pal getting you into datsuns with that green machine I got! A little credit??? :lol:

That would be the 73 240Z of course

Zcar.jpg

true. Who talked you into it though, eh? Plus I think I even missed a day of work to drive you down to grants pass to look at it, lol. That was good times! Prolly even better times when you had a loss of consciousness and let me drive that green beast!!! Anyway, I am done thread jacking here. peace.

I got the starter for the RB today! I put it in , hooked up the fuel lines and cranked it over. Not there yet, I have to wire in a resistor set for the injectors, (Stony knows about trying to find an RB dropping resistor) and hook up the two mafs then it "should" run. Still awaiting the call from the drivline shop.

Keep waiting. Getting close though. Beebani, glad that reg got yours going again.

Well, I got it fired today. Need to do a couple of tubes to the turbos for the mafs but it did rumble with the help or the throttle. The bad news... I think it has a burnt piston or at the very least a cracked ring judging by the smoke out of the valve cover breathers. May have another engine coming soon though. If not... pull it tear it down. Onward with the compression tester!!

Mark that sucks!!!!!!!!! Maybe one of those fancy additives from Shucks will fix it :D Or one of those little filters hehe I'm just trying to cheer you up, I've been there. Nothing worse than finding out an engine is bad or the clutch is waisted... Both mistakes in my youth :( Are you still working on it at your shop? I want to get some pics of it, and hang out too :D

Well, I compression tested. Three cylinders were way low and three good, only thing is there was no sign of oil on the plugs...Hmmm, if piston were burnt it would have a lot of oil up fouling. poured oil down the cylinders and all of them came right up to 140- 150. I think it just sat for an awful long time. A few more little tweaks and it it should actually hold an idle and rev.

GOOD NEWS, GOOD NEWS!!

Hmmm, "compression on 3 cylinders bad". How bad?

All the "smoke from the valve cover breather" could have just been something like a bad PCV (please be simple, cheap and easy to fix!)

But bad compression on 3 cylinders sounds a little more ominous.

Head gasket also comes to mind, but 3 cylinders would be odd with that..

Hmm.

I don't have any direct experience with RB's (BIG DISCLAIMER!) but a peek under the valve cover at the valvetrain (and cam!) would also be a relatively non-invasive check that might be a good idea. It all affects compression...

Good luck with this, man. Keep us updated - sometimes "it takes a village"

it looks like its comin along really good. i like that srx7 project too. ive always been a fan of rx7s and just picked up a 12a for my b2000. hopefully youll get everything figured out on the RB and have it down at canby cuz id really like to see it. we'll probably have our 510 down there but itll probably be a roller with no motor. we are still dealing with paperwork to get the awd sr20 clip imported and still have a lot more to do.

I'm pretty sure I'll have it going here in the next few days. After I did the oil in the cylinders it fired and sounded like we had all 6 pretty evenly. I am missing some pieces under the manifold though that are huge vacuum leaks so I have to get that stuff finished also. I am looking forward to seeing that GTi-R 510. There are quite a few of those locally if you end up not being able to get the one you have lined up.