510 getting the nasty RB26dett

Well, I got the driveline yesterday and worked on the wiring more today. I fired it and it sounded nice and smooth. Just need a TPS adjustment and if I hook up the mafs I'm sure it will run a fair bit cleaner. Install the clutch pedal, brake lines and it should be ready for a parking lot thrash. I will post some new pics in the next week.

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Still no clutch pedal in there, Mark? :)

You probably don't remember me, but I picked up a KA24E off of Matt a little while back so he could get that white shell out of the garage. Thanks for the door handle, again.

Guys, this car is a damn beast. You don't even need to see it in person to appreciate all the work gone into it, but goddamn does it help! I can't wait to see this thing piss out tire smoke and pavement with ease.

Keep up the good work, and let me know if you have any S13 240SX parts you want to sell. I need to collect all my 5spd swap parts again :P

Thanks for the nice comments. I got the reverse throw Wilwood pedal setup with dual master cylinders. It is sitting waiting to be mounted. I also got the gasket kit so I could tear the engine down and overhaul it.

Hopefully I will get some time to play with it soon. I was out there looking at it tonight.

I finally found your build thread. I met you a couple of years ago at your shop when I was looking for a SR for my 510. I ended up buying a fully built engine and then selling it and going with a FJ20. Somehow you and I where talking ugly black rifles more than cars, if I remember correctly. haha.

I like the beast you have built.....looks like it will be a handfull to drive. I want to see that sucker on the go go. :D

Maybe we will see you at Canby this year.

• 2 weeks later...

Yes that would have been me talking about evil black rifles.

Well, update on the 510. I got some time this weekend and completed the install of the pedal assembly and got the brake lines completed too. I Bled the clutch and brakes and everything feels really nice. I have to re-install the steering column, which means fabbing of a new bracket setup with this pedal assembly, and then it will be ready for a test drive. I will cruise it around the block and not put expectations too high since it needs the engine yanked and head gasket replaced.

I drove it out of the carport today!!!

It is so smooth its unbelievable. I was expecting a harsh, bumpy, can't drive it but at the strip ride. Not even close. I drove it out of the carport across the gravel drive to the neighbors parking area and never felt a bump. It was absolutely amazing. I started undoing the intercooler and stuff so I can pull the engine tomorrow and start tearing it down. I'll be doing a basic overhaul of seals and head gasket and installing two new turbos. Then it'll be down the road to see how the power is. Icehouse, I'll need you and Frank for videos.

I will be there!!! I think I'm going to need my 28 at full boost just so keep up for a few seconds :D Give me a head start then we can film a high speed fly by :D I can't wait to see that thing move out!!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

OK, it's since May, your last post. Being so damn slow, I'm not one to talk, but I'm just curious - are you making progress?

"try to do a little something every day - or nearly every day" That's the pearl I got from a friend of mine who is impressively productive with his projects.

"three cylinders scored" "two new turbos" "head gasket" - these are large items. To be fair, a bottom-end rebuild alone would shut me down (financially) on my project for months, but have you had any luck?

Datsunwizard/Monte just blasted me out of the universe with a snippet from his project, and it kinda reminded me of your project. C'mon, an RB, a narrowed Z31 rear end, and tiltnose over tubes - I'm not sure it get's any more hardcore than that.

So, those of us living vicariously through your project need to know - what's new, man. What's happening?

Well, new member here. KA510 has dubbed me Tiltnose510. I am currently re-building the chassis on the 510 and installing an RB26dett. It was formerly a tube chassis and has had 6 different SR20's in it. The most recent was a setup with Eagle rods, Arias pistons, Cryo-treated crank, 720cc injectors, big turbo and SDS standalone. The running gear is 300zx Z32, rear narrowed 8 1/2" to fit, front is completely custom suspension and tube chassis / cage. I will post some pics of the former and the current setup tomorrow.

Tilt.

IThought about the tilt nose and several configurations of the sr20det including going with all pulsargtir awd running gear, but I need to sell the project. I cant wait to see yours in person

• 3 weeks later...

It has been months since I've been on here. The final score was that it started, drove and functioned well and I have parted with it. I am moving out of state and it cannot follow me where I am going. It went to a very good home and the other car in the corrall with it is a GTi-R. After the engine problems, I could throw no more money at it and we had decided on a huge life change that wouldn't include much in the way of cars. I am certain that an even wilder 510 will be pursued by someone and will undoubtedly be crafted finer than the one I had. Mine will be completed and Mike will do an even better job than I was doing on it. I am sorry to those of you who were following it hoping for a complete and wild outcome. I am leaving now and will be unavailable for comment. I enjoyed the time with you all.

Mark

yeah his came with the dizzy too, i was going to start on a ghetto efi project, and all i was paying was shipping, but how much incase he doesnt respond to my email? i dont really need a dizzy tho, unless the ka needs more than a matchbox style. i got one of those.

ahhhh, i havent really even looked for the fact i dont have the parts, but the cas would be needed, but that no biggie lots o room down there. besides there is only one pulley. just means i can use my stock dizzy, and save some effort not worring about it.