Some Japanese Dattos...

datsunfreak

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

makes me wonder why so many people in the u.s. cut corners. I guess we just dont want to spend what it takes to make something nice....

A few thoughts on this...

1. In Japan when it's time for the road-worthiness inspection the car/truck can have NO rust showing.

2. Owning an older, high-mileage car means higher road taxes, thus most of them are owned by people with some money, not punk kids looking for cheap speed.

3. With the traffic congestion (and effective transit system) these cars are rarely driven.

4. When you live where all the cool parts are made, they tend to be cheaper and more readily available.

All this adds up to nice looking old cars. They may not all be perfect underneath, but they do all look nice.

No idea what this is...

kansai-4.jpg

Ever seen one of these Nissans?

http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q251/datzenmike/01570020.jpg[/img]"]01570020.jpg

http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q251/datzenmike/01570022.jpg[/img]"]01570022.jpg

only 20,000 made, sold by lottery, (Eric Clapton has one) 1 liter turbo motor, about 100 HP.

The lady in the background is Mrs, datzen

makes me want to work on my truck. I'm a big fan of that white RB 720, and that red longbed HB is sick! theres a bunch more pictures of both on garageminiz.com VERY inspiring.

It's kinda funny. 620s and 720s are really growing on me. it's weird, I don't like kingcab 620s, and kingcab HBs are gross, but the 720s are hotter than the standard cab. hmmm

As for the 5lug, I think the common thing is toyota parts, but it looks like that red truck has z32 brakes on the front...maybe mix of Z and Yota parts

i have been wanting to at least visit japan for years... never even actually attempted saving money, but i have read quite a few articles about vacationing in japan. there was one in .. "turbo" i think.. or maybe "hci" can't remember, but they did a two article thing about going to tokyo on vacation if you're a car guy. very interesting. the big auto makers over there (honda,toyota,nissan...) they all have these giant free auto museums. the nissan one is more about cars in general, and the honda one is more about honda racing and motorcycles... but very awesome stuff that is FREE on top of it all. and then there's a BMW dealership right in the heart of tokyo that is supposed to be a sight to see even if you're not into bimmers.

i think the auto customizing hobby is a perfect example showing the differences between japanese and american culture. yes there are plenty of american auto tuners that are very dedicated and very thorough with their projects. but in my experience, more often you see people that are too cheap or too half assed to get things done fully (i'm not saying i'm great... i haven't touched my truck in weeks... :( ). whereas over there from the pictures i've seen on the internet, in magazines, in videos.. they have such dedication to whatever hobby they choose. same thing with their profession. it's a rare thing in america to meet somebody who is really passionate about their job. but in japan they are passionate about everything they do. as far as i can tell america used to be like that as well. idk, i just think it's funny that i've had jobs and been ridiculed by my peers because i was spending time off the clock teaching myself about my work or thinking of ways at being better at my job.

synopsis: i wannna go to japan.. :'(

i have been wanting to at least visit japan for years... never even actually attempted saving money, but i have read quite a few articles about vacationing in japan. there was one in .. "turbo" i think.. or maybe "hci" can't remember, but they did a two article thing about going to tokyo on vacation if you're a car guy.

Turbo does a package deal trip to the Tokyo Auto Salon in January every year. Last I checked it's about $1800-1900 all-inclusive. It's a pretty good deal for what you get, and they take you out to a few race tracks too.

same thing with their profession. it's a rare thing in america to meet somebody who is really passionate about their job. but in japan they are passionate about everything they do. as far as i can tell america used to be like that as well. idk, i just think it's funny that i've had jobs and been ridiculed by my peers because i was spending time off the clock teaching myself about my work or thinking of ways at being better at my job.

Talk to any automotive photographer. :D

I probably spend twice as muich time looking for ways to be better at my job than I do actually doing my job. ;)