Crazy Datsun 510

INDY510

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The S12 tranny is closer to the same length as a ZX box, I don't think the shifter will be that far back. I put my Sr as close to the firewall as I could and the shifter wasn't a problem. Being 6' 1" helps though :D

• 4 weeks later...

I finally got a day off work:D

Time to work on the datto:

DSCN0892.jpg

I did a really detailed write up on how to remove the front suspension (in the "How to" section of Ratsun) Here's the link:

http://forum.ratsun.net/showthread.php?p=82137#post82137

:eek:

DSCN0894.jpg

DSCN0898.jpg

You ever seen a 510 that can't clear a coke can? Or a crushed coke can?

DSCN0899.jpg

DSCN0901.jpg

DSCN0908.jpg

DSCN0893.jpg

I hope y'all realize this aint photoshop, my frame rails are 2 inches off the ground:D:eek::fu:

A foot back. The Yenko Camaros had the engines moved back a few inches to help the front/rear weight distribution. This will change the handling making the front a bit lighter and the back heavier. Sure won't hurt take off traction. Will you add more brake to the back to make use of the extra weight? This is like relocating the battery to the trunk only more so.

Then why the f$%k did you cut a giant hole in the firewall??:confused:

you've never wanted to Duke? I have thought about it but it seems like a lot of work which I don't have the time for. Mark had his SR about a foot farther back than a normal engine swap would put it. The wipers become a pain and there's some sheet metal work to do. It's all just time, I just don't have enough to build anything that crazy :)

you've never wanted to Duke? I have thought about it but it seems like a lot of work which I don't have the time for. Mark had his SR about a foot farther back than a normal engine swap would put it. The wipers become a pain and there's some sheet metal work to do. It's all just time, I just don't have enough to build anything that crazy :)

I don't think the sheet metal work would be hard...but changing the back spark plug would be a bitch. And if I were going to go to all the trouble of moving the engine back that far, I would be doing some other really crazy stuff to the car.

I don't think the sheet metal work would be hard...but changing the back spark plug would be a bitch. And if I were going to go to all the trouble of moving the engine back that far, I would be doing some other really crazy stuff to the car.

Just like a Vett, pull the engine to change the plugs :D Do you ever notice that most new cars mount the engine way farther back in comparison to the centerline of the front wheels. I first noticed it when doing my rack and pinion. I don't know how much it will effect the handling but I would like to know. I think you could go back quite a bit before spark plugs would be a problem. Maybe one day I will do it and find out.

rb26dett?

PICT0278.JPG

• 2 weeks later...

how about a write up on how you are going to mount the tranny to the engine. i have read in other forums that a fwd ca will bolt up to a rwd ca20

5 speed. i have yet to see any pictures or full write up on it. may you can prove or disprove it. cool build so far.