1972 510 Green Wagon

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Well, I'm looking at it like this.. the time it takes the exhaust to reach the end of the tailpipe is much longer than it would be at the end of an exhaust manifold. Also, the intake charge would take longer to travel back up, through the intercooler and into the intake, than it would if it had a shorter distance to travel. This would seem to cause much more lag than a conventional setup, since the distance was much greater. I would think it would take much longer for the turbo to spool up(in response to the demand from the accelerator pedal), and also take longer for the intake charge to get into the cylinder, know what I mean? You'd step on the loud pedal.. waiting.. waiting.. OK here we go! Air, being compressible, doesn't move instantaneously like incompressible fluids do in a hydraulic system, where if there is any change at all on one end, it doesn't matter if the distance is 5 inches or 5 miles, the other end sees the same result in the same amount of time.

I'm not trying to poo-poo anybody's ideas, as this is something I would DEFINITELY like to see work in a Datsun, as the engine compartment often is lacking in room for a turbo. I'd love to try something like this out.. just trying to learn, and would like to be corrected if I'm wrong.

There's no getting around the physics as you've stated. It will take longer to spool and a lot of the thermal energy (which is what spools the turbo) is also lost so you're loosing a lot of the energy you would be harnessing to power the turbo. You also have a lot more "volume" to deal with as well as other losses for the compressed air going back from the turbo to the engine which is why you don't often see this type of setup. I does, however, look pretty sweet. I really like the screamer tube setup. Nice build :)

I don't disagree in the theory of what you are saying, but you must consider the entire package and the result of that.

First of all I have a VG30 with that pulls very nice as it is in a very light car. I had a Ford 2.3 liter Turbo T-bird and it was a complete slug until it came on boost, but that was a heavy car with a smaller motor. No doubt it will not build boost as fast as front mount, but the motor is strong to begin with.

Second, I have a much smaller turbo than many have selected for the VG30 with a ball bearing cartridge. It will be much easier to spool a smaller turbine and build boost quickly.

Third, I will be only running modest boost so it will not take long to build up to max boost. I expect 3000-3500 RPM for full boost. With my 3.9 rear end, in 5th gear at 70 I am running around 2700 RPM, so it won't be a big deal to get to boost, drop a gear and away I go.

Forth, notice that the line from the compressor to the intercooler is only 2" diameter and with an air to water intercooler the internal volume is much smaller than air to air, so this should help reduce any lag in the system.

And finally, I am only looking for a modest, by VG30 standards, top HP in the range of 300 or so I can get away with a smaller turbo. There are many VG30's making 400 HP plus, but this is not my goal.

For every choice there is a price to pay. Going with the rear mount and smaller turbo will limit the ultimate HP, but with smart choices in the design of the system you can also limit the lag in the system. I think that 300 HP in a 510 wagon will be enough, at least for a while.

• Like 1

First tune is in place and after getting the AFR's in line first power run at 3.5 lbs boost was 206 HP / 230 ft# torque. Still lots of tuning to do along with increasing the boost, but it is running.

Final tune and it hit 297 HP at 10 PSIG Boost. Hit the target I was looking for.

• Like 2

More work has been completed. The oil return pump, waste-gate and blow-off valve have been mounted. Pics as follows:

turbo6.jpg

sorry i must ask ... but whats that carbon fiber deck lid and wing off of that u see in this pic....i parused the other pics but never got a peek at what it is...

love the blow off work too

• 1 year later...
  • 6 months later...

Much progress has been made on the new RX7 rear and differential.  I was delayed by the fact that the Mazda ratio was a 4.07 to 1, and the ratio in the stock wagon was 3.9 to 1.  I was going the wrong way with the gearing and wanted something taller.  After considerable searching I was able to find Mr. Ben Herne of Puddymod racing in Florida who seems to be the expert on all things to do with the Mazda differential.  It turns out that the Miata MX-5 uses the same gearset as the old RX-7 and Ben had a set of 3.63 gears available.

Ben sent the following pics and comments earlier tonight:

The rear came out great, everything looks and feels perfect. Here are the pics of your build...

This pic shows the assembly...

Diff1.jpeg

This pic shows balancing the carrier and the ring gear, balance is about a thousands true round.

Diff2.jpeg

This pic shows the PuddyMod solid steel sleeve being set, note the old (replaced) crush sleeve shown out front of pinion.

Diff3.jpeg

his pic shows the backlash set at 3 to 3.5 thousands, it also shows the perfect gear to gear pattern.

Diff5.jpeg

This pic shows the finished rear build. Note the information on the LSD.

Diff6.jpeg

It looks great and with the mods should be good for over 350 HP.  I plan to test it.

At the same time John Wallum is working on narrowing the housing.  It is finished and looks great as well.

Hous1.JPG

Can't wait to get all the parts back and assembled.  

• 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...