1972 510 Green Wagon

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 2 months later...

I have decided to install a turbo on the wagon and am looking at an easy 250 to 300 HP at the wheels for this project. The plan is to rear mount the Turbo with a air to water intercooler under the hood. I didn't want to screw with the A/C piping in the front and since I don't use a spare tire in the back, the area in the back is perfect for a simple rear turbo install. And when you look at some of the turbo piping I have seen, this setup is not much more piping. I select a rather small Turbo for the installation since I wanted good spool times and good street driving since this is where I use the car mostly. Still have to mount the wastegate, blow-off valve, MAF and Air Filter, but it should come together quickly now.

Turbo1.jpg

The air return lines fit nicely in aluminum

Airline.jpg

The intercooler will be up front

Intercooler.jpg

Dammit! Someone beat me to this. I've been thinking about a rear mount turbo for a while so I hope this works out well. Will the intercooler really be necessary with a small turbo? My understanding is that the charge temp drops quite a bit going from the back to the front. That long pipe acts like an intercooler.

Just to be clear, I am having the work done by Powerfab Automotive. The fabricator worked for Hennesy before coming to Powerfab and he does great work. There is no way I could do such nice work.

The turbo is a Precison ball bearing 5558. V bands in and out with a billet wheel the turbo can make up to 550 hp. In mapping out the performance it looks like I will need 10 to 12 psig of boost, so the inter cooler will be a good addition. It does add a lot of complexity since it will need a water system, pump and radiator.

There have been many rear mounted turbo designs around for a while. Check out Squires Turbo Systems for some examples. http://ststurbo.com/

Even with a small turbo, you'll still experience a fair amount of lag on account of the distance, no?

No. Intercooler piping is always positive pressure, so although the piping is longer its still filled with boost ready to feed the engine.

I've seen a few articles and webisodes featuring STS vehicles and technoology. A friend of no e also drives a STS twin turbo C6 and he says lag has never been an issue (due to the turbo location).

No. Intercooler piping is always positive pressure, so although the piping is longer its still filled with boost ready to feed the engine.

Well, I'm looking at it like this.. the time it takes the exhaust to reach the end of the tailpipe is much longer than it would be at the end of an exhaust manifold. Also, the intake charge would take longer to travel back up, through the intercooler and into the intake, than it would if it had a shorter distance to travel. This would seem to cause much more lag than a conventional setup, since the distance was much greater. I would think it would take much longer for the turbo to spool up(in response to the demand from the accelerator pedal), and also take longer for the intake charge to get into the cylinder, know what I mean? You'd step on the loud pedal.. waiting.. waiting.. OK here we go! Air, being compressible, doesn't move instantaneously like incompressible fluids do in a hydraulic system, where if there is any change at all on one end, it doesn't matter if the distance is 5 inches or 5 miles, the other end sees the same result in the same amount of time.

I'm not trying to poo-poo anybody's ideas, as this is something I would DEFINITELY like to see work in a Datsun, as the engine compartment often is lacking in room for a turbo. I'd love to try something like this out.. just trying to learn, and would like to be corrected if I'm wrong.

Yes there's obvious compression loss due to the extended length, but nothing ridiculous. This is always the number one thing brought up when these setups are discussed. I know STS has done a bunch of research on the kits... Many people with cramped bays run this type of turbo. There's plenty of YouTube videos I've seen of different vehicles rocking this with good results.

I'm really excited to see what comes of this.

• 1 month later...

Almost ready to turn the key and start it up. All the fab work has been complete, new injectors installed and all that is left is the final wiring and tuning to get things going. It should be done this week. Following are the pics of the final install:

The turbine housing and exhaust tips were coated by by good friend at Polydyn in Houston. Carl does some great work coating headers, brake calipers, carbs, and even has a low friction coating for crank bearings, pistons and other engine internals.

t1.jpg

t2.jpg

This shows the oil return lines and pump.

t3.jpg

Reloated the MAF before the compressor with a shielded housing for the air filter.

t4.jpg

Since we are using a air to water intercooler, had to decide where to put the air to water exchanger.

t9.jpg

t6.jpg

Water tank for the intercooler

t7.jpg

]

And the intercooler itself.

t8.jpg

The fun is about to begin. Many thanks to Jeremy and his crew at PowerFab for all their good work.

• Like 2

The oil is ran off the pressure sensor port back to the turbo. It is a ball bearing cartridge and does not need much flow. The scaveger pump returns the oil back to the engine. I have the oil running into the valve cover at this time since the oil pan would need to tbe modified to accept the oil return and I did not want to pull the motor for this.