Peterbilt non-RatRod

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Looks like a logging truck motor.

It probably is from a logging truck. The Santa Cruz mountains had a lot of logging for redwood. They still mill redwood in Davenport. If you look through the links I posted one shows a time lapse movie of them dismantling the "donor". It looks like the woods to me.

I said it in my first post on this thread. Neither of these two trucks are Rat Rods at all. These are two high end custom cars. I know what my second cousin and his dad spent on their truck and I ain't telling because my mother was gossiping and I don't want to gossip more.

Bio-diesel is a hoax anyway. It is as green as any other vehicle. Not at all. Just spin like a spinning top.

• 4 months later...
...Bio-diesel is a hoax anyway. It is as green as any other vehicle. Not at all. Just spin like a spinning top.

It's not a hoax, it is "green" in the sense that it is not using petroleum as it's source. Instead, biodiesel is made from "renewable" materials, such as corn, grasses, and even things like the leftovers from chicken and turkey processing plants (feathers, gristle, innards, etc,) or used cooking oil. In that sense, it's green, and it's slightly cleaner burning, but it's still being burned.... Of course, any IC engine is by definition non-green, in my book, but there ya go.

• 1 month later...

It's not a hoax, it is "green" in the sense that it is not using petroleum as it's source. Instead, biodiesel is made from "renewable" materials, such as corn, grasses, and even things like the leftovers from chicken and turkey processing plants (feathers, gristle, innards, etc,) or used cooking oil. In that sense, it's green, and it's slightly cleaner burning, but it's still being burned.... Of course, any IC engine is by definition non-green, in my book, but there ya go.

To make bio diesel like B99 you take what ever food oil you select, I am not up to speed on all the choices but I suspect corn is one of the main choices, and you "cook" it in a reactor with methanol and lye. Methanol, or lye are two chemicals that you don't take lightly and of course you must use electricity to run the chemical reactor (heat and pumps to keep the mix moving and heat it). The by product is a nasty soap like slime that most bio-diesel home brewers flush down the sewer and industrial producers do god knows what with, probably the same thing but backed by all kind of official permits to do it. Not to mention the energy it takes to produce the oil used as a base and the chemicals used to turn it into a fuel ester. All this is fine but it will never take the place of petroleum unless we like to drive instead of eat. I was ragging on bio diesel because I just think it is bull to pretent you are doing anything good for the enviroment, by driving and loving cars you support everything they do that is bad and bio diesel isn't some magic "green" happy love fix. You can burn the oil straight as well but that is not technically bio-diesel, it does take less energy to create but isn't as efficient. Anyway, the trucks are cool.

To make bio diesel like B99 you take what ever food oil you select, I am not up to speed on all the choices but I suspect corn is one of the main choices,

Anyway, the trucks are cool.

hemp seed oil, when legal, is by far the best choice.

used is many european countries with great sucess, not specificly as the oil source for bio-diesel.

now back to the trucks!

hemp seed oil, when legal, is by far the best choice.

used is many european countries with great sucess, not specificly as the oil source for bio-diesel.

now back to the trucks!

Rudolph Diesel designed his engines to run on hemp seed oil. It burns 70% cleaner then crude oil based diesel. IMHO it's a large reason why its illegal today vs 60 years ago when Americans were told by the government that it was their patriotic duty to grow it.

Lots of things changed when the country started being run by corporations and big oil.

Yes though, back to trucks :-)