What did you do to your dime today?

Mesh-71

• Replies 4.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I started painting my CorAce grill yesterday.  I need some opinions on how to proceed though.

C967E4D9-1062-4D43-A967-E7B264911119_zps

I like the grey, but should I paint the outline around the lights and the top bar black?  Or do I go silver? 

• Like 1

I started painting my CorAce grill yesterday. I need some opinions on how to proceed though.

Personal opinion is to keep it all one color.

Painting things to look like metal never works out and I personally think it looks pretty cheesy. I'd just rock that nice grey and roll with it.

• Like 3

Not today, but over the past few days...

• Hella H4 headlights installed
  • New window seals on the back half
  • Steering box adjustment

Hopefully the steering box adjustment will help with how squirrely it feels on the freeway. I've replaced most of my front end parts, so I'm not sure what else it could be at this point. This weekend I'm hoping to get my Mazda wiper motor installed.

Hopefully the steering box adjustment will help with how squirrely it feels on the freeway. I've replaced most of my front end parts, so I'm not sure what else it could be at this point. This weekend I'm hoping to get my Mazda wiper motor installed.

Caster.........need +caster.......

Mine was all over the place over bumps and on the freeway until I set up my camber plates like this to get some caster until I can get the adjustable torsion rods........

HUGE difference............

IMG_7177_zps333cf210.jpg

Caster.........need +caster.......

Mine was all over the place over bumps and on the freeway until I set up my camber plates like this to get some caster until I can get the adjustable torsion rods........

HUGE difference............

What all can be done with ZX struts and 510 springs? I figured most of the things that could be used to adjust camber and caster (camber plates, adjustable control arms & TC rods) would require me to have a coilover setup so there is more room inside the shock tower for making adjustments. If not, I'll probably end up going that route. I guess maybe I will anyway - it just will take longer if I need a coilover setup.

What all can be done with ZX struts and 510 springs? I figured most of the things that could be used to adjust camber and caster (camber plates, adjustable control arms & TC rods) would require me to have a coilover setup so there is more room inside the shock tower for making adjustments. If not, I'll probably end up going that route. I guess maybe I will anyway - it just will take longer if I need a coilover setup.

Modifying the TC rods to pull the LCAs forward does not require coilovers for clearance. You're not moving it that much. 

Pulling the bottom forward 1/2" will only move the spring closer to the body by maybe 1/4" at most. You definitely have that much clearance, if not more. 

Modifying the TC rods to pull the LCAs forward does not require coilovers for clearance. You're not moving it that much. 

Pulling the bottom forward 1/2" will only move the spring closer to the body by maybe 1/4" at most. You definitely have that much clearance, if not more. 

Cool, thanks. I had found ggzilla's post in the How-To section about modifying the TC rods and considered doing it but wasn't too sure - sounds like maybe it would be a good option.

http://community.ratsun.net/topic/44448-how-to-increase-caster/?hl=caster%26%2333%3B

Drove her to my friends house out of town.

IMG_20140504_154117.jpg

Also kinda got an idea of what the shifter boot would look like (that's my next to do thing).

IMG_20140504_165504.jpg

She ran well and temp has been fine so far. Talked to a welder friend who is gonna let me bring the struts over to shorten. Notice the car in the garage in the background, origanel 68 Dodge Dart GTS.

Here's a shot of the trunk. Nothing fancy.

IMG_20140504_184446.jpg

And a shot of the tail light mod for more running lights

IMG_20140504_184543.jpg

And then brought her back to the building and parked her next to the 64 Formula S Cuda.

IMG_20140504_194939.jpg

IMG_20140504_194824.jpg

I finally did my Mazda wiper motor swap today after sitting on the parts for a couple of months. I did run into a clearance issue that wasn't mentioned in the Dime Quarterly write-up but it was pretty easy. For the clearance issue, I had to add several washers where the motor mounts to the Datsun plate. I also mounted it a little cockeyed/turned up since the holes I needed to drill were pretty close to the originals. It fit just fine the way I did it and I didn't have to grind any of the mounting plate off, which I would have needed to do if I mounted it as they show in the how-to.

20140504_172711_zps0e99f293.jpg

20140504_172724_zps22fd8338.jpg

I finally did my Mazda wiper motor swap today after sitting on the parts for a couple of months. I did run into a clearance issue that wasn't mentioned in the Dime Quarterly write-up but it was pretty easy. For the clearance issue, I had to add several washers where the motor mounts to the Datsun plate. I also mounted it a little cockeyed/turned up since the holes I needed to drill were pretty close to the originals. It fit just fine the way I did it and I didn't have to grind any of the mounting plate off, which I would have needed to do if I mounted it as they show in the how-to.

20140504_172711_zps0e99f293.jpg

20140504_172724_zps22fd8338.jpg

I need to check that out.

4.38  R180 in the 510 has some excessive slap.

Sooooo...I pulled a 'fresh' 4.11 out of my 720 hoard......which....will also drop overall RPMs.

Need to install some R160 stubs and change the companion flange...latter 720 diffs (4.11) have a larger bolt pattern.

Not good....need to maintain pre-load on swap

Poop...thus the dog...lol

P1010001_zps0eac61eb.jpg

• Like 1

I really need to do this since my wipers suck... I should come down and snoop around your setup to see what you did. 

Personal opinion is to keep it all one color.

Painting things to look like metal never works out and I personally think it looks pretty cheesy. I'd just rock that nice grey and roll with it.

I actually agree with you on this Tristin,I am having the same delema with this on making look original,which is now making me look for a original grill period, with the color choice I am going i need the chrome top or polish factory look.

I actually agree with you on this Tristin,I am having the same delema with this on making look original,which is now making me look for a original grill period, with the color choice I am going i need the chrome top or polish factory look.

Yeah, if the paint is done well and can match the rest of the theming of the car... a single color grille isnt horrible, but my opinion is Ive never seen something in a metal paint finish I really liked. I think youre trying too hard at that point to fake it. 

Embrace what you have and work with what you got. Itll look better in the long run. 

If you really need that top bar to look like metal and an OEM piece, then buy an OEM piece. You have to pay to play. 

I think youve got it all figured out T :thumbup:

Yay for driving legally!

Three days ago I FLUSHED THE ORANGE COOLANT I THOUGHT EVERYONE USES when in fact GREEN IS THE COLOUR OF CHOICE.

So, now, we be repping that green substance, yo!

Paid PENNZOIL an arm for an oil change and new tranny gl4 fluid. So, that happened.

I need a filter or something on the inside of the headlight funnels ... So much debris adhering itself to the engine bay.

• Like 1