810!

• Replies 718
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

bloodontheapex is selling his 810 :(

http://asheville.craigslist.org/cto/3671963604.html

He WAS selling it, but I just bought it the other day. I even drove him with the money I just paid him for the Goon so that he could buy his next ride: a sweet silver 80s Diesel Mercedes Wagon. So I am guessing he won't be back here.

Anyway, this is my first oddball Datto, but I've had plenty of Z's and 720 pickups going back 18 years. Every once in a while I when I have a few bucks burning a hole in my pocket I will pull up the ol' Craigslist and do a local search for anything Datsun. This time the random search turned up gold. This 79 needs work for sure, but I think if I can get it to where I want it for under $3k total, I'll be happy.

Anyone know how to swap the auto for a manual? I DO NOT like these autos stock. Maybe a stall converter would help, but the way it is now it just doesn't get the motor into the power band very well. As for a manual I'm not even picky it doesn't have to be a 5 speed, a 4 speed would be fine with me since folks seem to practically give those away. But after some searching google and here I can't find any info on swapping a manual into an early 810. If the process is the same as another model that sure would help, but one bit of info I was given by the seller was that the manual pedals were unique to the 810. Say it isnt so!

They are unique but I'm sure a 280zx pedals would work since there similar to the 810, mine came with a 5 speed swap already since it used to be a 4 speed. I used to have a 81 280zx turbo so they are similar just not the same. Might source the clutch pedal from here or keep a look out for a parts car, manual 810's don't pop up as often. Try talking to Z-Train he might have a clutch pedal and parts laying around he's had a lot of 810's.

Might want to get on this transmission for sale in your area I got that same trans in my 810.

http://community.ratsun.net/topic/52733-fs-83-280zx-5-speed-transmission-in-asheville-nc/?do=findComment&comment=864176

I guess I should introduce myself. My name is Jesse. I have been into Z cars since I was a kid. I've had a handful of ZX's that I drove the piss out of, a couple if 720 pickups that I got a lot of work done with, and a 240Z that I never got to drive at all (it was a 1970, one of the first 1000 units! Still kicking myself over selling that one). Now I have a 1979 810 Wagon. As much as I wanted a 280z for fun AND a 720 for work, when I stumbled upon this Goon I figured it would basically kill two birds with one stone. You see, I restore and modify vacuum tube audio gear for a living and I needed something to haul amps and other audio gear with. So, finding this "daily driver" in the local CL for $1200, I simply couldn't pass it up.

I am going to start a build thread with details for my plans over at the Project Datto section.

Well I'm now doing body work all over again what a chore well atleast this time I'm not patching rust holes with fiberglass the good thing about rust free panels the process is 10x faster. On a sad not im about to shell out more money then I originally spent purchasing the car on a trunk lid. Fml but as they say yolo I've wanted a piece of j time since a child might as well make something I'm proud of