810!

• Replies 718
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Leno affect to all datsuns sigh. Better get the parts you need now before there gone or crazy expensive. My buddies told me a header from an early z car will fit the 810s steering setup

Well some datsuns are going up in price I don't know why the 810 when 1 year ago I saw them for $400 up to $1000 running and in really good shape.  I almost bought one out of L.A. area same color as mine but it was a 1978 with a auto trans for $1000 before I bought mine, prices will do way down when the person realizes it didn't sell quick and the price will start to drop really fast.  that 78 810 wagon that was a $1000 was priced at $3000 and a week later was $1000.  If the car is complete and doesn't need anything replaced or fixed then maybe but if it does need attention that person has to realize there are no parts available for them.

I'm debating to go with a 6-1 header or a 6-2 header I like the twice pipes but I want a nice mean deep low tone like I had on my ZX when it had the NA L28.

Header on stock engine maybe but with some goodies like a cam I don't see why it would be. I doubt ill get to go to canby I barely have any time off with the job I have currently and most of it is spoken for already. I'm pretty sure I'm hiking half dome on June 9 as well

The power is in the head that's probably gonna be one of the major things I will be doing getting it ported.  Megasquirt or a aftermarket computer is gonna allow more power I don't know the actual limit of the L24E ecu.  Putting a header & exhaust is a matter of choice I know there's no actual gain, I been told to simply turbocharge the L24E in order to get power out of it.  

Finally got the 810 back together after a few months of down time. Love crusing the car its so smooth. I can't bring myself to lowering it for now. Huge steering wheel and I'm not a small dude so until I get a really small wheel its staying somewhat easy to get into lol. I did get some sweet racaro knock offs out of a isuzui impulse ill be fabing up to replace the stockers. I'm trying to get the seats as low as possible.

You did move the column all the way up..right?

I was going to ask about this. It looks like the car has tilt and I have seen it in some of the old advertising that it had this feature, but I can't get mine to budge. How do you move the column all the way up?

Yaa but the wheel is still right at my knees its too damn big. I haven't found a nice small steering wheel I like yet but I'm looking for one around 10 or 11 inches circumference not the 15 stock

I am in the same boat or at least trying to squeeze into the same boat! I'm a big guy as well. But 10 or 11 inches for a steering wheel? Man that is small! I think it would be difficult to drive like that unless the car is designed for it. In any case I wound up buying a Grant steering wheel in 13.5". It is the Classic series model 470-338: http://www.jegs.com/i/Grant/470/338/10002/-1 and the adapter kit model 3592: http://www.jegs.com/i/Grant/470/3592/10002/-1 It is only like a 2 inch difference from stock, but in the past with other Datsuns this has been the best compromise for me and my gut.  At 13.5 inches it is still drivable and I can see the dash cluster, but it loses just enough size so that I can get my big fat leg under it (and somewhat gracefully get into the driver's seat with the 4-door layout). If you REALLY want to go smaller, they do make this same design in an 11 1/2" wide version model 470-334.

I'm a bigger guy but I fit nicely in mine, my column won't move think it's stuck but it's all the way up and it's got a aftermarket steering wheel.

So, how do you UNstuck the columns on these? Mine looks like it might be al the way up already, but I'd like to be able to adjust it anyway.

I tried pulling the handle down but it won't move. I could be wrong maybe it doesn't move but I seen that they do so I'm in ????

Also I got to fix my horn its been getting stuck lol, since mine has an aftermarket old school steering wheel. I moved the horn cap and now it won't shut the heck up lol!

The lever is just super stiff but pulling down should unlock the wheel. I was just looking at eBay for datsun stuff crimeny people are trying to get huge price tags for z cars. There's a sweet 280z 2+2 diesel for a good price right now. my buddies 810 has a small steering wheel and he said it was a night and day difference i how the car felt driving

Z cars been like that for awhile, that 280z 2+2 diesel isn't orange in color is it if so it's a LD28 turbo.

It is the orange one. Its somewhere in oregon.  ld28 means diesel right? Guy claims it does 40mpg that would be sweet to do in an 810  

I AM driving my 79 810 Goon now. I took it for its first real drive with the new bearings, shocks, and brakes yesterday. She performed great. Needs an alignment, some new tires, and I think one of the steel wheels is little out of whack because of a slight shimmy on the highway... but she did just fine for a maiden voyage. Now she needs a good bath and detailing.

My next moves are a 13.5 Grant steering wheel, front strut inserts, zx mags and new tires soon.

Anyone think 225/60r14 is too big for the rears? I am looking at these: http://www.tirebuyer.com/tires/bf-goodrich/radial-t-a/p/tv100000334

It is the orange one. Its somewhere in oregon. ld28 means diesel right? Guy claims it does 40mpg that would be sweet to do in an 810

Yeah that's the diesel, so it is the same guy it's turbocharged, I've seen a lot on YouTube, HybridZ, and here. I've seen people take the LD28 block since the block is taller and thicker. A few build threads on HybridZ. I also seen people tune the heck out of the LD28. Honestly if I found a running & driving diesel maxima and had the money I would buy it.