replacing valves without removing the head?!?

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

you can replace springs but not valves with head on

thats what I was kind of thinking, I had never heard of that before but a guy at drill said he does it all the time. Doesn't the removal tool clamp thing kinda have to go on the underside of the head too?!?

Yeh, obviously you can't replace a valve without removing the head, there would be no way to retrieve the valve. If he meant just replacing valve seals, this can be done as mentioned before by pressurizing the cylinder to hold the valve up. But, if something goes wrong, you'll end up having to pull the head anyways to finish the work. So you can try it, and see what happens.

or pull the ENTIRE bottom end apart, pull the pistons and drop the valveds out the bottom. but then yyou would be better off yanking hte head, its easier to do that.

think I might do it this way, can you make a video like hainz did for me first though ;):lol::lol:

just make sure you put the intake valve into the intake spot and not mix it up with the exhaust or u will have to do it all over again, and allso get the tourqe specs for ur head to toourqe them right or u might blow a head gasket

A better, cheaper, easier and less complicated method than compressed air is to get some nylon rope and poke several feet down the spark plug hole. Crank the motor by hand toward TDC to compress the rope against the valves. Now you are free to remove springs with no chance of dropping one down the cylinder. You don't need a compressed air source or lines and fittings and you can quit for the night and just leave it. Be sure you are on the compression stroke of the cylinder you are working on.

Yeh, obviously you can't replace a valve without removing the head, there would be no way to retrieve the valve. If he meant just replacing valve seals, this can be done as mentioned before by pressurizing the cylinder to hold the valve up. But, if something goes wrong, you'll end up having to pull the head anyways to finish the work. So you can try it, and see what happens.

the compression stroke of the cylinder where you're changing springs. You want the piston all the way up to insure that the valve can't fall into the cylinder with the spring removed, and you want it on the compression stroke so both valves are fully closed to seal the combustion chamber to keep air pressure in. The higher the continous air pressure your compressor can supply, the better the odds that the valve will stay seated while you're changing springs........

That would be like getting a tooth pulled via the rectum :eek:

:lol::lol: This is the funniest thing I read today.

Exactly what I was thinking although I wouldn't have thought of putting it that way.

btw, no offense to the op. I can see how you could get confused hearing a vague reference to the compressed air trick to remove valve springs. On the other hand, it might be a good idea to get some help working on the head until you get a little more basic knowledge.

Edited by 72wagun

yo shifty i just had a u67 rebuilt with new springs and everything for 280 canadian. it was done in 3 days.if your valves (or one valve?) is messed up just do the whole head!your truck deserves it and needs yer help!as kick ass as datsuns are they cant fix themselves!you owe it to yer truck to do the right thing and when yer done she will give you so much more in return!

P5190067.jpg

P6090154.jpg

P5290099-1.jpg

oh ya get yer self colin messers book how to keep your datsun alive!

P6190229.jpg

P6190228.jpg