710's unite!!!!!!!!

Guest jaimesix

Probably you can change the knob with the thumb operated push button. Probably.

My '74 710 had a less than pristine handle. I had one from a 620 or something... the difference was a small silver strip around the handle the other didn't have. I can't find any matching part numbers between z or zx shifters and the 710 but, like I say, some parts might swap.   

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

'Goon refers to any station wagon. Usually a Datsun wagoon. (it's a Datsun 'thing')

My handle was not from use (only had about 20K miles on it) but from sun damage. It was all crumbly and you could gouge it with your thumb nail.

Hi, I have another 710 question. I mounted the 6 spoke wheels with 195 tires and the car looks great. There is only about a 3/8" fender clearance when turning but clearance is clearance, so I'm good. My question is: There is noticeable positive camber in the front tires now. Is camber adjustable on the 710? 

Changing rims won't affect camber but with wider rims it might be more noticeable now.  Take a look at your top hats. The 710 is designed differently and top hats are offset slightly to the center of the vehicle. Or should be, or can be if needed.  Inward increases negative camber or decreases positive camber. Tilts the top of the tire in towards the car.

74strutswapjune13015Large.jpg

My eyeball gauge says it's about one degree pos. How would someone safely modify the assembly to increase negative camber?  Thanks for the reply.

P.S. I just noticed there are adjustable camber plates available for some popular Datsuns. Does anyone know which ones fit the 710?

You can use a rat tail file and oval the holes so the strut mounts farther inward.... or camber plates. Either are only as good as how far the spring can be moved inward before it rubs the side of the strut tower.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hello.

I'm new and I might as well add my datsun 710 / 140j / Violet '73 in the unite. Also, greetings from norway.

I plan to try save up for a repaint to fix rust here and there with the dents. Does anyone else have rust problem around front and back windows for water leaks? And a simple solution for a temporary fix until I can repaint it?

Some outdoor pictures I took of the view in the area I live.

DSC_0036_zpslr4nsz3w.jpg

DSC_0038_zps3jezbic5.jpg

And here are some tlc picture of before and after treatment.

BeforeAfter7_zpsaqt8snxr.png

BeforeAfter1_zpslvvqsmtv.png

BeforeAfter2_zpsukkwmfpy.png

BeforeAfter3_zpsne4p2rxl.png

BeforeAfter6_zpstdxgw0wg.png

BeforeAfter8_zpsoqujoijw.png

BeforeAfter5_zpsnabmcvo2.png

BeforeAfter4_zpsy75t95v5.png

Had the car for around 2 weeks now. Sorry if some of the pictures arent of the best quality.

• Like 2

Hi Haseo, and welcome to Ratsun.

The 710 sedans are notorious for rotting away along the under side of the rear windows. Just open the trunk and fell up above the fuel tank. There was nothing supporting the window on mine. I had to have metal welded in to save it. The front windshield also had some rot. Possibly because the windows are 'glued' in place. Only way to get at it is to remove the front window and weld it up. Then paint to seal it and only then put the glass back in.

Nice Violet. Is that a factory color?

Thank you.

I have opened the trunk, and there is only slight bubbles underneat, not rotten completely away at all. So mostly for me I have to just grind it down and put rust preventant and repaint it.

And I have heard at the local nissan dealer and they said the windows are glued in place. And I hope to fix the issue next year, or maybe possibly this winter.

Thank you, and that is the factory color, the color id is sort of funny since its basicly just 123, chartreuse green. I plant to repaint it in the same color, just water based instead of akryl they used at the time, will preserve the color better as well if I do I believe.