710's unite!!!!!!!!

Guest jaimesix

A quiestion regarding the chassis code. 

I wonder how early in production mine was.

the code is JL710 000348, would this be considered to possibly be among the first 350? If so, Im definitly going to try and keep it running for as long as possible.

• Like 1
  • Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 4 weeks later...

Hello :)

Picked up my first car 3 days ago that was a datsun 140J / Violet 1977 4 door :D So thought I could add some pictures of it here :D 

There will be some work on it to get it ready for EU control as we have in Norway(mostly fixing the rust), but I think it will be fun !   :D 

20150825_235707_zpsqrju3wmi.jpg

Went about 640 km to get the car and get back home. 

20150826_174212_zpsddu5sezu.jpg

20150826_174031_zpso5xpoqqa.jpg

20150826_174204_zpsidjvqzqk.jpg

20150826_173747_zpsiflxxe7k.jpg

one old and one (a bit newer) nissans in the garage :D

20150827_204041_zpsujlufg81.jpg

Hi Josen, and welcome to Ratsun. That's a lovely 710, really like the smiley bumpers. I believe the rear window, trunk lid, roof line, rear doors and sail panel was changed on the sedans some time in '77. Perhaps for more head room? Here's my '74, you can see the differences.

710projectbegin028Large.jpg

20150826_174031_zpso5xpoqqa.jpg

• Like 1

Thank you datzenmike ! :D 

I also like the front bumper on this :) do you have the american bumper on yours ? meant that I read somewhere that they changed the front bumper for american imports ? :)

Also I was wondering about how the 711 chassis code look like. Not sure if that's the one I have ( says 710 on the chassis code plate ) so don't know if they were called 711 because of the new rear end and the new roof line ?  :confused:

Yes I've heard it called a 711 too but they still say 710. My picture shows the '74 bumper the '75 and up are chrome instead of silver/gray and the rubber end caps are black. The '73 Hardtops had smiley bumpers but were not the same as yours. Looks like this now..

74710with200sxrimsLarge-1.jpg

No. We only got the L18 for the '74 model year. (mine's an automatic)There were a few months of the '73 year but a half year car is considered part of the next year. In '75 all 710s got the L20B engine. I have also a '76 estate car. (is has a '79 z car 5 speed)

So all the '75 710 models have a L20B engine ? What engine does your '76 estate have then, and did you change to 5 speed later or did it come originally with the 5-speed transmission ?  :)

Sorry L18s in '74 and L20Bs from '75 on. So my estate car has the L20B. It came with about 50K miles on it and was originally from Nevada in the States. It was brought up here and kept for use when the owners where here vacationing so low mileage. It had a 4 speed but I had a first year 280zx 5 speed so I popped it in. I have about 55K on it now?

Was the zx 5 speed bolt on ? or was it much work to make it fit ? (have been thinking of a 5 speed in mine later) :rolleyes: 

But if all models after '75 has a L20B, I have a L14 in my '77, but it's mabye difference between the european imports than yours ?  

All L series transmissions share the same bolt pattern between engine and transmission and so will bolt together, not that you would necessarily want to. The L series six cylinder transmissions will fit all L4 cylinder engines. The Z car 5 speeds are long at 80cm while most small displacement 4 cylinders are about 66cm and need the driveshaft shortened. As it turns out the N American automatic 710 used an 80cm long transmission so that driveshaft will be perfect for a 5 speed swap, and that is what I did. There are dogleg 5 speeds as in the 910 L18SSS? in Europe. Our doglegs were 66cm but I believe yours are 80cm. The dogleg has reverse above first...

R..2..4

Worldwide there were four cylinder L13, L14, L16 L18 and L20Bs. A local guy has an L14 I believe in his PL510 but not sure if this may have been a very early 510 engine or he imported the car from outside Canada. N America tended towards larger displacement engines in the world wide market.

• Like 1

Nice 140j :D

In what location of Norway do you reside?

Own a 1973 140j myself with the previous rear part for sedans, and regarding that mike on why they changed the rear shape was due to complaints i think it was for the rear visibility out the window? 

just read that somewere :)

Maybe do a small 140j meet sometime whenever its ready to be used josen? haha. if you arent to far away.

Visibility and head room I heard from taxi owners? lol. Either way, Jan '76 and on 710s were modified and rear doors, glass/sash  panels and chrome trim, roof line, rear glass and trim, trunk lid, sail panel and both rear fenders altered. The rear seat stayed the same.

Nice 140j :D

In what location of Norway do you reside?

Own a 1973 140j myself with the previous rear part for sedans, and regarding that mike on why they changed the rear shape was due to complaints i think it was for the rear visibility out the window? 

just read that somewere :)

Maybe do a small 140j meet sometime whenever its ready to be used josen? haha. if you arent to far away.

Hi ! :)

Thank you ! :P

I live in Valdres :) was it you that bought the green 140J from the guy that also sold a green cressida station wagon ? :) 

A good friend of me bought the green cressida :) Thought I saw your car on "Japantreff" on lillehammer saturday 29.08.15 ? :)

Was a passenger in the cressida and corolla in the corner :)

Would have been fun to see all the other 140/160J series in Norway :) saw alot of 180b's (sss) and some 200L cars on lillehammer tho :D

11920504_1628868114035472_433545618_n_zp

Hi ! :)

Thank you ! :P

I live in Valdres :) was it you that bought the green 140J from the guy that also sold a green cressida station wagon ? :)

A good friend of me bought the green cressida :) Thought I saw your car on "Japantreff" on lillehammer saturday 29.08.15 ? :)

Was a passenger in the cressida and corolla in the corner :)

Would have been fun to see all the other 140/160J series in Norway :) saw alot of 180b's (sss) and some 200L cars on lillehammer tho :D

11920504_1628868114035472_433545618_n_zp

Haha, yes. That was my green 140j that was on lillehammer in the very crowded top area xD

Also that is true about the cressida as well. The guy who had both were a friend of mine :) I was tempted for the cressida too, but I just loved the 140j more.

I also agree with seeing how many are left usable and/or under work to get back on plates.

I live in hallingdal, so we are sorta "neighbours"

Was nice to see a couple of the triple sss as well, a decent amount of good cars for such a small meet compared to others. 120 meeting up aint a bad number :p for a country like the size of ours.

• Like 1

Hello sunny and welcome to Ratsun.

You might find them on E-Bay or SE Asia and Japan which are closer to you. You can't ask on the forums, they are only for discussion and sharing info, but you can start an ad in our classifieds... http://community.ratsun.net/classifieds/category/3-datsun-parts/?sort_key=date_added&sort_order=desc maybe someone is nearby you who can help you out.

On your next post please include pictures of your 710 Violet