710's unite!!!!!!!!

Guest jaimesix

This ain't no modern engine with 2 micron smooth surfaces you can bolt together without gaskets. Needs a thermostat gasket. :lol:

If people would just leave the EGR alone you wouldn't need a block off plate.If you had to make it, well you do what you have to do. If the PO did it, it's a fail because I don't see the PCV valve hose connected.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

This ain't no modern engine with 2 micron smooth surfaces you can bolt together without gaskets. Needs a thermostat gasket. :lol:

If people would just leave the EGR alone you wouldn't need a block off plate.If you had to make it, well you do what you have to do. If the PO did it, it's a fail because I don't see the PCV valve hose connected.

yeah as you can see from the interior he unbolted almost anything that could be, stripping off heads here and there as he went... the thermostat was there but gutted, so im gonna run and get one and a gasket in case i want to swap to a different temp easily. the coolant sensor is trashed as well, would be nice to be able to tell if im overheating before i go driving around haha. any idea what sort of mileage i can expect out of this thing? eventually i'll toss in a 5speed out of a 280 or something, but for now i just want it rolling since my truck gets about 12mpg wacko.gif

Yeah sounds like one cylinder is bad. Are the valves set? Check the plugs looking for one that is different. Compression check next.

hey hey don't piss in my cheerios :P (but thanks for the advice haha)

yeah i've got a set of plugs i'm going to toss in it after an oil change. i can play with the engine at a later date, weather is nice today though so i'll try to find the lights in the pile of shit in the back of the car and get all that working. lights/blinkers/seats/seatbelts is about all i'm missing to make it legal i think... honestly i think one of my egr block offs is leaking which could be causing the goofy sounds. i've got the front and rear holes on the exhaust manifold filled with giant bolts, but the middle 2 i couldn't fit em so i pinched off the tubing on the old crap and put it back. it actually seems to run really well considering how long it was sitting.

Put an FS5W71B from a '79 280zx in my goon today. Basically an auto driveshaft and flip the rear tranny crossmember around. Everything lined up but I think the tail sits too high and I may remove the mount and mod it. I was hoping not to have to do this.

http://community.ratsun.net/topic/24412-my-76-710-goon/page__st__100

Put an FS5W71B from a '79 280zx in my goon today. Basically an auto driveshaft and flip the rear tranny crossmember around. Everything lined up but I think the tail sits too high and I may remove the mount and mod it. I was hoping not to have to do this.

I am sure you checked, but...did you make sure that the stock mount facing mark was pointing towards the front of the car? From what I have experienced, the mount has a slight "tilt" towards the top, and that may be bringing the tail shaft up too high...

Didn't notice anything either way zilla. Before putting in I measured (very roughly) from the tailsstock mount surface up to the mainshaft center line and the 5 speed was an inch or two higher, so there's the problem likely.

The cross frame went on this way, front was to bottom

goon5speedswap035Large.jpg

Rubber mount actually went on the other way round for final use. Had the cut those threaded things off for clearance.

goon5speedswap034Large.jpg

I had mine apart but could not find U bolts. A spring shop offered to make $ome. What did you guys pay?

i paid a spring shop under 20 bucks for new u bolts custom made for my truck when i swapped the rear end out because i couldn't find anyone who stocked the ones that came with the flip kit. on a related note, anyone go high enough with these to flip the mounting? see:dune buggy style haha

I can't see the thin peice of metal in-between the U-bolts and axle ...... .. did you use it??? ... ... or nothing???

... ... . I can't get the U-bolts to stay in-between the edges of that thin piece of metal ........ :(

Everything is stock, I just added the custom made blocks and new U bolt's. Here is a stock picture I took before I started.

5688096069_cfc35c819e_z.jpg

how many bags of concrete did that take haha

16x8 +12mm Panasports 215/40/16 Yokohamas ....... . 3" blocks .... then lowered another 3.5" with 400 pounds of concrete

... . no shock travel left,, or it's just the tires rubbing so bad ....... :lol: