Ethel: 71 521 Rocker Layer

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Quote: "Shit'll buff out".

JK... I'm sorry about Ethel man! But, you know that this is what we all do best- REBUILD!!!! Once you get shit sorted, post a list of parts needed and I'm sure everyone who can will help out! :D

you're lucky you didn't have the scoop hood on there, or you probably would've broken your glass!

Total brake failure? scary. what happened?

Worst weekend of my life. Blew one diff on the way down which in turn toasted the brand new five speed. Spent an entire day going from scrap yard to dealership trying to figure out what kind of truck my rear end came from. Finially i found an early 70s Toyota Hilux that had the same diff. so made it to bakersfield by 3 am saturday. limping it in in fourth gear because if I shifted to fifth the trans would start to howl and the diff would overheat. had some fun with the freaks of nature and got pissed at the event staff for being such dicks. Pissed so I didn't go the awards serimony on sunday. Buddy called and said Id won my class. Cool. Drove home and near travis airforce base I noticed my brakes were a bit soft. didn't touch them untill I was almost to hwy 28 near napa. Come over a hill and truck was stopped at the light in front of me so I geared down then hit the brakes which went to the floor. SMASH!! No time to react. I havent even touched her yet. I feel like shit for smashing her. But now maybe people wont give me shit about "When are you going to paint your truck?" Whatever right? Just one of thoes things. Going to need all new sheet metal from the firewall forward I think. I havent looked yet. Too mad at myself. I suck.:(

dont be hard on yourself man it was a mechanical failure not like you werent paying attention to the road its only metal it can be fixed sheet metal can be sorced and not to mention you got all of ratsun behind ya the only thing that i can see that would be hard to replace is the hood

the other option....there are a few 521's on CL in norcal. Scoop up another one for like $500 and youll have plenty of parts and/or one you can really put some time on and make perfect. Basically take 2 and make 1 really nice one... just an idea.

It'd beat havin to do alot of repair work if you can just swap cabs all together.

• 2 weeks later...

Well started the tear down a while ago. Thought I owed you guys an update.

Hood off

datsuncrashpictures011.jpg

Fender gone

datsuncrashpictures012.jpg?t=1249684241

Radiator making out with the motor

datsuncrashpictures010.jpg?t=1249684313

Lipstick stains

datsuncrashpictures016.jpg?t=1249684372

Front sheet metal gone

datsuncrashpictures013.jpg?t=1249684433

datsuncrashpictures017.jpg?t=1249684491

Mock up with "new" fender

datsuncrashpictures018.jpg?t=1249684546

datsuncrashpictures019.jpg?t=1249684601

Well thats as far as I can go now. I need to do a little hamer and dolly work to the passengerside inner fender mount. It looks like I might be able to use my orginal inners so thats taken care of. Im going to need a new glove box latch. My homie put his knee through it.:blink: Ouch! I also need to find a new hood to start working on. All I have is a skin, no braceing. So if anybody knows where one is please let me know. Any help is much appreciated.

If you need a hood and dont care about the skin, ive got the hood that came with mine that the PO cut a hole in. Were your inner fenders chopped out for tire clearance leaving the fender supporting the core? Ive seen that done on so many rigs and always worried about the kind of damage itd take. Guess i know now.lol.

Did the frame and motor survive? That rad took a big hit. Almost looks like it may have busted up your fan/water pump.

On second thought, the weak inner fender may have saved your cab from more serious damage.

Edited by Hyphy

Time for a dual master, cheap insurance. Easy mod, I did it on my L320, lots of info about it on the forum in terms of which type to use. You look like you know what you are doing so you would bust it out in no time.

On my L320 the new line I ran to rear brakes had a little crack in it that started leaking fluid. Lost rear brakes, no sweat, still have front brakes. Single master=crash, double master =second chance. If I watch you make this truck beautiful again without a dual I will give you a ration of shit. Thats my freak'n public service announcement.:D:fu::D

I personally have had two singles fail, now a dual is the first thing I do to an old car before I drive it.

Love the truck, love the steamer trunk as tool/cargo in bed, love the gear shifter. Bring er back but make her a little safer, be nice to Ethel.

Yeah the skin on the hood doesn't matter. All Im looking for is the support underneath the skin. So If you could let me know about that, that would be sweet. Yeah there isn't really all that much inner fender left after we cut it out for the tire clearance. so no damage to the cab. The cab is tubbed anyway so the only connection is at the top. Its my birthday right now and so Im pretty hammered so I'll have to get back to you guys tommorow. Sorry. Thanks for the support. You guys rock!

Just checked it. Its got rust, but no visible cancer. Most, if not all, of the panel bond has released the skin, tho there may have been some tweaking with the hing mount areas. All in all, much better than your current. Text/call 707 386-1217. We can arrange something.

• 2 months later...