Ethel: 71 521 Rocker Layer

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Wow! I like that. Thats pretty much what I want to do. I just want to plasma the top a little so I can get the bumpers snug against the body. But that is great!

So....Im putting in the 5 speed as we speak. Huge F ing MESS! If we pull the motor and tranny together we are going to have to pull off all the body work up front!(Which is welded together) If we pull it out seperate we are going to have to cut the main crossmember out! This is going to be at least 3 days contstant labor. Me and the Fabricator have worked on it since 12 up on the lift and all we got done is the exaust cut out, the clutch slave pulled out of the way and the top two bolts on the bell housing lossened. LOOSENED! Cant pull them all the way out because the fire wall is about an inch and a half away. Lot more work than we both ever thought. Because its so hard I decided to get a new clutch and everything. So thats the latest. Sorry about standing u up bonvo. I rolled underneath and looked and realized what we were in for. Didn't know if you wanted to fab up a bunch of stuff so I just shot it back to the guy who helped build it. Sorry if I left you hanging.

Edited by 521 Dropsun

Oh Damn! That looks really handy! Problem is that the front of the datsun was smashed really hard way back in the day. The front is about an inch and a half to the passenger side. We used a power push jack to move the core back over so we could bolt it to the new frame. Maxed the jack out trying to get it over enough and now its only 3/4 of an inch from straight. Im kinda afraid that if we cut it we will never get it to line up again. Also the motor isn't bolted in there dead straigt. We couldn't get it to fit correctly between the narrowed toyota rails so we turned it slightly so the manifold wouldn't be resting on the left rails. But Im really tempeted to do what you just did though. Thanks for the imput man, and for thinking outside the box. Well Im going to go grab a case of beer and take another look. Let you know.

Well the five speed swap is done. Only took 30 hours. Had to cut out the tranny tunnel and the rear cross member to get the old one out and the new one in.

Heres the tunnel and frame cut from the bottom, huge hole.

12431861940.jpg

New transmission mount.

12431861951.jpg

12431861962.jpg

12431863210.jpg

12431863211.jpg

And heres the new transmission tunnel, still wet with seam sealer.

12431863212.jpg

So big shout out to seth at Twisted Minis for damn near everything. A true master of his craft, that one.

Thanks man! Sorry the rest of the truck is so full of junk. Build up after alot of work i guess. I need to fix thoes wires.

Anyway, I just checked Twisted Minis and saw that seth posted a picture from the classic american car show that I crashed :fu: Funny how nobody said shit about it though.

bgp1010108copy.jpg

My hat's off to Seth and you! Awesome work!! I too, love the shifter!!!

As for the tail lights...can you massage the underside of the bed, right above the lights to raise them so the front edge is even with the bottom of the tailgate? Would that give enough room for the bumper? Looks really sweet with the bumperette on the ground and the tail lights pinched in there :)

Yeah pl521sss really has a collection. Never seen so many datsun parts in my life!

So I got bored today and decide to do something interesting with Ethel. I finally put a fuel filter on her. But not just any fuel filter. A glass bowl type! Super retro. The thing came off of an old Onan motor that was in my grandfather's cushman from the 50's. So a little family heritage thrown in too. My grandfather was an aircraft mechanic on a baby flat top in the atlantic during WWII. He was the utimate tinkerer. Always making something better. The alfalfa farm he ran is now being run by my uncle. Every gate on that ranch has a different latch. Theres close to 40 gates! Every time he would improve upon his last design. So this ones for you,Poppa, hope you like it;)

camerapics008.jpg?t=1244760540

Yeah pl521sss really has a collection. Never seen so many datsun parts in my life!

So I got bored today and decide to do something interesting with Ethel. I finally put a fuel filter on her. But not just any fuel filter. A glass bowl type! Super retro. The thing came off of an old Onan motor that was in my grandfather's cushman from the 50's. So a little family heritage thrown in too. My grandfather was an aircraft mechanic on a baby flat top in the atlantic during WWII. He was the utimate tinkerer. Always making something better. The alfalfa farm he ran is now being run by my uncle. Every gate on that ranch has a different latch. Theres close to 40 gates! Every time he would improve upon his last design. So this ones for you,Poppa, hope you like it;)

What the..

Told you not to tell them about my collection of parts :D

Nice touch on the fuel filter

I know have one of those somewhere here in my garage

• 4 weeks later...

Well just got the new issue of Truckin' Magazine. And Mini truckin' Magazine. Guess who was out there representing for all the datsuns at the Dangerzone show in Visalia? Thats right Ethel! 1500 cars and she gets her picture in three magazines that did coverage on the show! I don't have Street Trucks but I heard from a homie that she was in that magazine too. I felt like I was floating on air all weekend.

Well heres some scans of the mags. I need a ratsun sticker so I can represent when i go to these big shows.

Mini Truckin'

07-06-2009105510AM.jpg?t=1246904694

Truckin'

07-06-2009110002AM.jpg?t=1246904865

Hey Dropsun...WELL DONE MAN! So good to see your truck all up in the mini-truck scene there in Cali. I miss cruisin Visalia...are the cops there chillin out at all? I used to do it in VWs I think that Ethel makes the whole thing look better! Great pic in the magazine too. Looks way cooler than the Ford Courier right below it.:lol:

I grew up driving a 72 Courier...no hard feelings...just sayin!:D

I really like the story about your Grand dad. Mine was also in WWII. My 521 used to be his. I appreciate honoring not only his service and sacrifice, but his personanality too. He still loves to hear what I am doing to the little truck.

I am totally diggin the glass bowl filter!:eek: Beyond cool...it's one of those...

"Why the heck didn't I think of that" moments.:D

so now I am gonna steal it from you...and use the heck out of it on my rig.

• 3 weeks later...

I have a pass side fender thats less crunched than that if you could use it. A spare hood aswell...i think. If your grill is beyond repair, I think i have an extra. TBH tho, looks like the inner fenders and core are in real bad shape. Maybe time for a face lift?

and gratz on not smashing the windshield this time :P