Ethel: 71 521 Rocker Layer

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Steamer trunk took a beating so I need to do some work on that. That right front fender won't let me open the passenger door. Lame. But its put together and looks somewhat decent. Need a water pump pully that is straight. The radiator bent mine so the motor vibrates when its running:o bad! But for what it went through its doing ok. Big shout out to Abraham for all the support! Man came through big time!

• 2 weeks later...

I'd like to make a new hood for it. Jerome needs to find one for me to cut up, and come up with some money. I had a lot of time in the first hood. I think 18-20 hours.

sounds like the entire driveline is out of alingment, vibrations, going threw rearends and trannys:eek:

The truck vibrated a lot stock I drove it. I adjusted the pinion angle and some of it went away. The first rear differential that went out did so because Jerome ran the axle dry and it roasted the bearings. As far as I know that was the only one that burned up. And the transmission has not burned up as far as I know. It still goes through all the gears just fine, but there are metal shavings in it. I wouldn't call noise in 5th burnt up. The transmission in my Toyota did the same thing for 15K miles and I never had an issue, that gear was just noisy and annoying. I'm not even positive his still does that, I can't drive it to find out. It picked up a few more vibrations after the wreck I believe, a lot of stuff is out of whack now. The motor mounts got bent and pushed back, which could have changed some angles. All of the vibrations that are there now, I have not experienced. I don't fit in the truck after it was body dropped, so they are all second hand from Jerome. And his description of things is hard to comprehend. :fu: Jerome, lol.

Edited by Twisted Minis

The radiator on the Datsun is lower than the thermostat. I've been trying to talk Jerome into adding a radiator cap to the thermostat housing for a while now, and he finally bit the bullet and let me do it. It had a bad air pocket, which I think is the reason it was running hot. Jerome said he let it run in the garage for a half hour today and it didn't pass the half way mark.

Here are some pictures of the construction of it. First picture shows the piece I started with, and the Moroso piece I bought.

12576685440.jpg

12576686360.jpg

Cutting the taper.

12576685451.jpg

Hold it from the center to cut the top end down.

12576685452.jpg

The fit.

12576686361.jpg

Welded.

12576686362.jpg

12576686980.jpg

The housing is pretty old, and didn't want to take a weld very well no matter how clean, but it turned out okay. Wish I could have found an NOS housing.

12576692540.jpg

The picture Jerome sent me. I will try and get a better one soon.

12576686982.jpg