Not your everyday Datsun 520!!!

• Replies 209
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

OK.. A little update... I got the dash back into the new cab. I still don't have the new rocker welded on.. I need to go and get argon for the welder... I did get the dash cleaned up and a bit of color put on it... I need to find some one to redo my seat now.... I know I jump around a lot but I am doing all of the free things first... Sure makes it interesting though....

HPIM0846.jpg

HPIM0844.jpg

Yeah, now I need to move the pedal over again... I also need to track down a radio delete plate... But all I need for the interior is carpet, make door panels and a head liner and it is mostly done on the inside.... Plain and simple...

I have spent a lot of time in Japan and Austrailia so it should come back to me pretty quickly... I hope...

We appreciate it OL YELLER...

Thanks Mark. I am proud of how it turned out... Now I need to figure out what colors I am going to do for the seat and door panels... The truck is going to be close to the stock blue. I was thinking of doing a Black and dark Grey seat with blue stiching and the same for the door panels and head liner...

..hhmm..I like the 720 box idea Mike. You could still modify and use the 521 column, but the box is the real issue. I'd bet the 521 steering arm would swap between the two boxes too.

I do remember in my first 280 box the 620 pitman arm did swap onto it. When I switched to the 720 box it wouldn't, so I put the 280 sector shaft in it and it fit and worked... that's an inside the frame box to and outside the frame box. You would certainly want to check the fit first eh?

wow got a good point there. imma look into that. will be easier to swap it to a 720 box than locate the rhd for my 520. as far as column thats nothing a little welding and fab'n cant fix. anyone have some good pics of a 720 under hood?

http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q251/datzenmike/PSbox87hardbody.jpg[/img]"]PSbox87hardbody.jpg

Long story short... this is a 720 frame with what I think was the next gen truck (hard body?) after the 720, P/S steering box. The original 720 box was leaking and it was easier to swap this one in. Sorry I don't have a standard box but it's smaller in size but the same height and bolt pattern I think.

so if i understand this, i can use the 720 box because its an outside the frame box and use it on the inside of the frame and swap the sector shaft to the 280 shaft and it should work with my 520 column or do i need to use the 720 column as well? the hb idea sound good too. column and all. need to see if i can still use my original steering wheel.... damn what did i just ask????...

so if i understand this, i can use the 720 box because its an outside the frame box and use it on the inside of the frame and swap the sector shaft to the 280 shaft and it should work with my 520 column or do i need to use the 720 column as well? the hb idea sound good too. column and all. need to see if i can still use my original steering wheel.... damn what did i just ask????...

Hmmm... First... the boxes I used were for power steering, the std steering will/may be different in size. I think what I needed to say was that the 720 box, if mounted on the passenger side, would be positioned inside the frame. My pitman arm (620) did not fit the 720 P/S arm. Now the standard steering box arm might fit the standard 720 arm... I don't know about that.

Steven, Dash does look a ton better. Keep up the progress. It must be nice to be able to work on your Dat whenever. If I touch mine it has to be back together to drive to work. That and you know my wife.

This OLD Army vet salutes you both....and thanx to you both

Like Steve said, we appreciate it.

Ok Well I planned on doing some welding and grinding this weekend but that didn't happen. Good old Sears decided I needed a 3/8 air wratchet instead of the angle grinder I ordered... Been doing alot of thinking about where this truck is going and what order it needs to go in. I am leaving for Iraq in March so I want to have something major done while I am gone... So this is what I have come up with... I am going to get enough of the air ride done to be able to atleast be able to push the truck around..Then I am going to do all of the major body mods that I have planned- shave doors,raise the bed floor and a few others... I am going to pull out the motor and trans... I am gonna gut the interior again... remove all of the trim, bumpers, and lights... Then while I am deployed I am gong to send it to the body shop to get all of the finish work done and have it painted... I am going to have them go ahead and paint the inside too while they are at it...I like the black but it just wont go with the rest of the truck when it gets painted... I know I want to go back with the factory blue, but I haven't decided if I am going to leave it at that or give it a twist... Not sure yet...

Ok. Here we go. Got a little bit done finally. The bed floor is cut and raised.I still need to get argon to weld it all up...

HPIM0874.jpg

HPIM0873.jpg

I also got the front end all taken appart so I can build the front setup and shave the fire wall....

HPIM0872.jpg

I am hoping to maybe go get some gas tomorrow so I can finally get to welding....

Thanks on the bed.. I need to get the inside walls sheet metaled now...

I don't have a pic of the alternator but The only wire that was still hooked to it when I got it was a single hot wire running to the battery...It is a delco alternator. Haven't looked at it closely to see witch one....

nice work there doord... i finally got mine on the road this weekend. got a lot of props from the locals. even had a few 240 guys pull up and compliment on it. tell u one thing. i was wondering what to do first on mine n now i kno its the motor. god this thing is slow. im so used to my 02 se altima that it seems like it takes forever to get going. plus it revs so high on the highway. anyone out there has wiring tips to throw in a ka24 in it? gotta do it until i can save to get an sr20. ill be posting pics tonite....