Not your everyday Datsun 520!!!

O.K. This is gonna be my build thread so tell me what you think.. I am starting with a 1967 Datsun 520. It is pretty straight with only 1 real cancer spot. The rest you see is actually just lite surface rust that will sand off easily when I get to that point.. Basically my plans for it are to rebuild it to bone stock but be bagged with a real clean setup.. Oh yeah JDM STOCK!!! Here is how it sat when I got it home.

HPIM0667.jpg

HPIM0666.jpg

Here is a shot of the interior

HPIM0674.jpg

• Replies 209
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Now here are some progress pics from night #1!!!!

HPIM0686.jpg

HPIM0684.jpg

HPIM0682.jpg

HPIM0688.jpg

I switched the guts in the spare steering box and got it mounted to the frame right frame rail. I got the column through the fire wall and into the cab. The dash isn't ready to mount the gauges on the right side yet, they are just mocked in place at the moment. Tomorrow I am going to pull the dash and start on moving the pedals and the clutch and brake cylinders.

It kinda bolts in. You have to drill some holes for the studs and the resivoirs then tweek the top mount and drill some more holes then it bolts in. The gas pedal is another story. You have to make a bracket for it to mount to the firewall. The wipers have to go because of where the steering wheel mount is. There is some trimming involved to get everything to fit back into the dash. Not much just a little bit. I haven't started to run any wires or cables yet should not be to bad. Going to have to get a longer throttle cable

HPIM0692.jpg

Here is where the clutch and brake res will be. I have to get a hole saw still...

HPIM0693.jpg

Here it is with the dash, pedals, steering wheel back in,

HPIM0694.jpg

With the seat in. Yeah I need to pull the other column but it needs to stay in for a bit. You will see why lalter.

Ok I also had to take car of something this evening. It has been bugging me since I got it home. It just sat way too high...

HPIM0698.jpg

So I cranked the torsions and removed the leaves in the back. I just welded the rear to the frame with the old u bolts. Was going to have to do it down the road anyway for when I build my link for the rear...

HPIM0699.jpg

HPIM0704.jpg

Nice progress! A long time ago i saw an S-10 w/ a rhd conversion. They left the stock steering shaft in place but cut it down so it wasnt visible...then welded a sprocket to it & the new shaft & connected them using a chain. Kinda ghetto bu t it worked. What are your plans for the motor? Will you rebuild the J or swap in a L?

Nice progress! A long time ago i saw an S-10 w/ a rhd conversion. They left the stock steering shaft in place but cut it down so it wasnt visible...then welded a sprocket to it & the new shaft & connected them using a chain. Kinda ghetto bu t it worked. What are your plans for the motor? Will you rebuild the J or swap in a L?

Thanks for the compliments everyone...I am planning on rebuilding the j13. I haven't figured out yet if the next step is to bag it or to rebuild the drive train..

Try a throttle cable from a 720 truck it has to reach over to the pass side carb. Maybe one with cruise as it has to reach the pass fender.

At first I thought the idea was good but the doing impossible, but I'm glad I was really wrong on that. Different is good. Do you have pictures of a left hand truck to give you ideas of what to do with the wiper?

Thanks for the compliments everyone...I am planning on rebuilding the j13. I haven't figured out yet if the next step is to bag it or to rebuild the drive train..

Ok let me know on the engine. I know of an excellent mechanic here in San diego who has been working on Datsuns for a very long time & his prices are reasonable.

Ok. I got a little done this morning. The brake cyl and the clutch cyl is mounted on the firewall and hooked back up to the pedals. Still need to run two new lines over to them but that is easy. Also I went and picked up some tubing for my front air ride set up. Still have to get ahold of my neighbors bender so I can get started on that. I know I am jumping around a bit but Kansascity1 is doing the same setup in the front on his 521 and he is waiting for me to build him one too. It is easier to just build them both at the same time as it is to build his then build mine in a month when I am ready to bag mine. We are going a little different route with it. The bags are going to be mounted on the upper a arm as to being on the lower. After seeing what airedout went through to bag the front of his we thought this would cure that and also give more lift in the front..

IMG.jpg

This is what we are going for. Gotta have some of that SoCal Prerunner infuence!!