Not your everyday Datsun 520!!!

I was at summer showdown for a few hours. We came down in this:

l_5d88d88d305a81bd165d284964029a48.jpg

As far as the lift of an air over hydro setup, its actually decent. You get as much lift at the bag your running (when properly setup). Its just like running an over axle setup, a 1:1 lift ratio.

Hydros can ride great with either the right spring or acumulators. The biggest thing that made people swap from hydros to bags was the cost. Costs you dont even think about like batteries and lines. And another thing that got people to switch was leaky systems. If your leaking air thats one thing, but leaking hydraulic fluid is another.

• Replies 209
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well a little update. I haven't gotten to work on the truck much. You have to love working 12 on 12 off!!! I did get the rear springs completely removed and the bed unbolted from the frame.. Also I picked up a new toy tonight. A Lincoln Power Mig 180. Beats the hell out of my little Lincoln weld pack! Well this weekend will bring some more progress since I have 4 days off for the holliday.. That and I need to go pick up my spare parts truck I just bought... If some one is looking for some thing give me a pm and I will tell you if it has it on it...I know it has a good windshield..

Parts truck is a 520. It is pretty straight. Just been sitting a while. I got the front fenders taken off last night. Good thing it is dry here or there would had been all sorts of rust with all of the dirt that was behind them. What little rust was there was taken care of with a wire brush. I will get some more pics up some tome today. I need to take some more..

Don't worry Mark I am bringing yours over when I come to SD. I think it will be Tuesday... Kansascity1 is getting the other one that I have on my parts truck..

Thanks...Ill PM you my #. Im off tuesday too :D. BTW the parts 520 looks complete, nice score.

Yeah the parts truck is all there and then some. 2 motors some more extras in the bed... I am going to sell a lot of it so if anyone needs 520 parts hit me up...I am going to let everything that I don't need go cheap. I will get pics of what is for sale when I get it to the house.... Here is a pic of the front with the dogbones flipped.. I still need to put new king pins in. This is just to get an idea. I trimmed out the fenderwell, removed the bumps but havent clearanced the frame yet... Also the tire that is on it is bigger than I will be running. It is a 185-75-14. I am going to running a 175-70-14 which is almost the same diameter as a 215-35-18 so if I ever want to put other rims on it.

HPIM0726.jpg

HPIM0728.jpg

When it is done it will have new inner fenders and everything will be routed clean...

I have only flipped the one side to see what it will look like. I still have to find the right sleeves for it to fit right.. But thanks for reminding me, I forgot all about that..Oh yeah, I still have to order a king pin set too. I might as well replace them while I have it apart...

I haven't seen it up close but in the pics it does look good. I wanted to do the 67 because of it having the j13 and having a hand crank to start it. I could have switched them but oh well.. That and I have a title for the blue one the other is a bill of sale, and I don't want to mess with getting a lost or bonded title..

OK well it is kinda a down time at the moment. I am waiting on some things so I can get some more work done ie air bags, tube bender, king pins, and a few other little things. I am going to work on the body a little bit while I am waiting. Sorry for all of you that like the rust. Just going to do some sanding and some dent smoothing then cover it with a light coat of rattle can. I emphasize LIGHT because it is all going to come back off to get a real paint job. Here are a few pics just to keep you going.

Here is the left side , while sitting in it, without the inner fender waiting for me to start cutting.

HPIM0756.jpg

WOW!! Look at the negative camber. It will get straightened up a little in the future

HPIM0758.jpg

Yeah! No inner fenders. A set of trailer fenders will fix that...

HPIM0747.jpg

I'm still not a fan of the dogbone flipping. Have you considered "Z'ing" the lower control arms? Seems to me it would be safer and easier and still get the drop you want. Actually, I just measured it...you get 1.25" at most with the dogbone flip and a bit more than 1.75" with the control arm Z. You could even do a more drastic Z, but that's what the arm I have hear measured out at.

Lovin' the pics! Keep it up....I feel the motivation starting :)

I have considered z'ing the arms. Looking at it with the dogbones flipped I think everything will be ok with the correct shims and hardware. As soon as it gets finished I am going to go out in the parking lot and flog on it real hard to make sure everything will hold...LOL!!! Flipping the gave me a dramatic drop. I haven't measured it but has to be 2 inches.....

I am 5' 11" and there is plenty of room but the only problem I have with body dropping it is the motor clearance issue with the hood. I don't want a hole in it and I really like the lines so I don't want to add a bubble or cowl hood. Who knows I may body drop the parts truck and put a rotary in it to keep it under the hood....

It is still not low enough. I still have to cut the exhaust to get it to lay all of the way out...