Spiffinspudater's 1978 Datsun 620 King Cab

Apparently I never stated a project thread so I will start it now. Since my entire truck is a project I will post pictures of it to be followed by what has been done to it when I have time. This is what I am working with.

P1010017.jpg

P1010018.jpg

P1010019.jpg

P1010020.jpg

P1010021.jpg

P1010022.jpg

P1010023.jpg

P1010024.jpg

P1010029.jpg

I will add things to this main post as I come across them and what not. But for now you just get to look at the exterior of my truck.

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

After jump starting the truck I took it to the doctors... It is getting looked at and will get a call with a quote soon. I am on my way back to base (30 mi each way) to get the car I left there when I picked up the truck. Then I am likely going to the Junk Yard and this time I am taking my camera. I will be back in like 3 hours to give a junk yard update in my other thread. Thanks for looking come again.

Where are those photos taken?

Is this where "High Plains Drifter" was filmed at????????

I took the pictures on Edwards Air Force Base (where it has sat for a LONG time).

Bleach was correct with those seats being from a 350z. They got installed thanks to MKlotz. I have install pictures if you click the link in my signature.

Spiffinspudater, Your truck looks good! Doesn't look like it needs much to get her on the road....Keep us posted.

She has been around for a while (owned her since 2002) however the HUGE issue with her is SMOG. The Hydrocarbons are too high. I have never been able to get it fixed or figure out why, so that is why she is at a mechanics. Other than that, she is a brilliant little truck. Didn't throw much of a fit last year when I drove her 1000 miles from Gresham (Moms old house) to Edwards AFB, California. That was the trip I got her to over 95MPH and had a blast driving. The one thing I realized I miss today is cruse control!

probably a stupid question but have you tried that "guranteed to pass" stuff?

No. I have looked in to it. But I honestly think that my issue starts with the carb, then maybe bad rings (burning some oil) and could end up with something as simple as my plugs (that I replaced but were ugly when I pulled them out after the trip). I think that Guaranteed to pass stuff is more along the lines of if your car is off by just a little bit. My HC hit 1000 last time I was sniffed WAYYY TOO HIGH. I am now leaving it to the professionals.

idk anything about cali emissions, except that they're strict... i know i'm glad that i live in ga and don't have to do them for my 521. idk how well it works for carbed engines either, but it def works for FI. i remember growing up in florida and my dad having to work real hard for what seemed like a month every time he had to pass one of his trucks that he had through the years... like the isuzu pup that took a case of oil every two weeks... haha.. anyway then they stopped emissions in florida... and in ga it's just 25 years i guess... all i know is my truck never had a cat on it so i'm not gonna put one on there now ha

but good luck man, i hope you get it on the road so you can enjoy it again, isn't that the whole point? to drive it...

I like working on them too, kind of half and half. Like fixing and improving them, maybe making a part to fix it and then driving with a big smile. I guess the end result is to drive them but getting there is half the fun.

Javin its good to see pics of your KC again. Damm the Titans look HUGE on it..LoL ! If you ever get down my way we can spend a day sanding & get it all primered 1 color. But..1st. pass that damm smog check.haha.

Hey, I may just take you up on the sanding as I have NO place around here to do something like that. I have a surprise about my rims in a few weeks if all goes as planned and I have a few hundred bucks left after the whole smogging thing. I think I may try to find some pink primer for my truck. I need SOMETHING different from everyone else's blue black white and gray primer. I think pink is something different until I get enough cash for a "real" paint job. A proposition for many of the socal guys. If you are good at a specific trade (body work, mechanics, ect...) shoot me a PM and some decent proof of your work and we may be able to work something out. I would rather pay some of you guys than a shop. Also, if you shoot me a PM with parts you are looking for I dont have a problem with looking for them at the J/Ys.

LMAO!!!!!!!!!!!! so how many years until you dont have to deal with smog? im not tryin to poke fun at ya, .. wait .. yes i am.. but not too much! i think it really sucks man cause you could be drivin your truck instead of bein sad that u cant drive it.. well good luck bro, no hard feelins k?

spiff.. do you mean pink or do you mean the red oxide primer? that might be something else to consider. i'm def considering it for my 521. is it on the afb cause you're in the air force? have you thought using those basic primer colors to do a design? maybe trad. camo... maybe digital... if you blew up the pattern big enough it wouldn't that hard... like make each pixel like a 4" square or something and use black, gray and red. i think that'd be cool. another thing to not forget is how easy it is to lay out a couple lines of tape and mask for your own custom design in primer... something interesting till you get the money for the real color, like you said. and what about finding somebody that does real pinstriping? or learning yourself? my point is that if you just get a little creative and aren't afraid to experiment, you can come up with something using the traditional primers that totally stands WAY out of the crowd on the streets, and stand out pretty well in the crowd of 620's you see on a regular basis. one of the primer-schemes i came up with for mine was the basic flat black all over with some big stylized scallops in the red oxide on the sides, roof, and hood with a red oxide on black rising sun on the tailgate... that's just one of about 20 i've put together so far... and if i can use a rattle can and some tape... everybody can. anyway, whatever you choose (even the pink primer.. haha just givin ya shit) keep up the good work and keep the pics updated :D.

LMAO!!!!!!!!!!!! so how many years until you dont have to deal with smog? im not tryin to poke fun at ya, .. wait .. yes i am.. but not too much! i think it really sucks man cause you could be drivin your truck instead of bein sad that u cant drive it.. well good luck bro, no hard feelins k?

The way California laws are, I will be smogging it every 2 years for ever or I make it strictly a show car that I trailer everywhere <-- What is the fun in that?. I can be sad all I want. I should have had her smog ready 4 years ago. No worries man. I just don't think a lot of people outside of smog areas understand. Everyone keeps saying "buy a smog free one" There is kind of a sentimental value this truck holds that I am sure a few of your ratsun owners feel. I just believe that that this truck wants to be on the road again and I am willing to put darn near whatever it takes to get it that way into it. I have spent more money on it already than most have or ever will into their suns. I think the next thing I am doing is checking on the brakes and stearing once I get her back from the shop. Stearing has about 1/8 turn before it catches and the brakes feel kinda spongey (could be from them being in sitting for over 4 years without much care?) If I had a garage a lot of stuff would be different... I just don't have that luxury. I think I am in the opposite situations of most ratsun owners... hahaha. I have the funds but lack the knowledge and space to do it. Anyways, I am done feeling sorry for myself... the truck is in the shop and I will be getting her running and plan to drive it to LB this year!

spiff.. do you mean pink or do you mean the red oxide primer? that might be something else to consider. i'm def considering it for my 521. is it on the afb cause you're in the air force? have you thought using those basic primer colors to do a design? maybe trad. camo... maybe digital... if you blew up the pattern big enough it wouldn't that hard... like make each pixel like a 4" square or something and use black, gray and red. i think that'd be cool. another thing to not forget is how easy it is to lay out a couple lines of tape and mask for your own custom design in primer... something interesting till you get the money for the real color, like you said. and what about finding somebody that does real pinstriping? or learning yourself? my point is that if you just get a little creative and aren't afraid to experiment, you can come up with something using the traditional primers that totally stands WAY out of the crowd on the streets, and stand out pretty well in the crowd of 620's you see on a regular basis. one of the primer-schemes i came up with for mine was the basic flat black all over with some big stylized scallops in the red oxide on the sides, roof, and hood with a red oxide on black rising sun on the tailgate... that's just one of about 20 i've put together so far... and if i can use a rattle can and some tape... everybody can. anyway, whatever you choose (even the pink primer.. haha just givin ya shit) keep up the good work and keep the pics updated :D.

You guys might not know but I like simple over complicated. I love simple paintjobs. I was talking pink pink... as in... I don't know, flat pink... lol. About the camo... I am about a month and a half away from bing out of the service... plus, I never was into the camo thing... I suppose I could paint it a flat green to make it look like a GOV. I do have a spare hood that will likely end up with a rising sun on it;) I just need to find a place to do it.

Not sure of the cut off year but if (just for argument sake) it was '75, couldn't you find a '75 (preferably toast so it's cheap) buy it for $50 and put those tags on your '78? Couldn't you get around the smog that way?

I used to work with a biker who drove the club's car, a VW. When I asked why they had such a POS for their club, he said that because they all (VWs) looked the same over the years, when it blew up they would just steal another. After all who would know?

In theory, I could but, see, the king cab started in 76 I believe... and that would still have to pass smog... I could find a longbed and try for it that way useing the other trucks vin but I really want it to be LEGAL in all ways. I have a few things that I could be risking if I get in trouble with the law including my jobs (when I get out) and some other things while I am in.