Spiffinspudater's 1978 Datsun 620 King Cab

Worth a try, the DMV only sees the ownership and what it says "Oh look, this guy has a '73 Datsun isn't that cute? Where's my Smog Exempt stamp?" (they don't do home visits to check) and if you are stopped, what cop would know when KCs came out? (it was built before he was borne) Oh well... Is it the truck that has to pass or the motor? Grind the L20B off the block and stamp L16 there? If it's the motor could you get a '72 engine, would it be exempt? If you had a '71 Datsun and put an '80 L20B in it would you have to smog the newer motor?

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Worth a try, the DMV only sees the ownership and what it says "Oh look, this guy has a '73 Datsun isn't that cute? Where's my Smog Exempt stamp?" (they don't do home visits to check) and if you are stopped, what cop would know when KCs came out? (it was built before he was borne) Oh well... Is it the truck that has to pass or the motor? Grind the L20B off the block and stamp L16 there? If it's the motor could you get a '72 engine, would it be exempt? If you had a '71 Datsun and put an '80 L20B in it would you have to smog the newer motor?

It is the truck... If you were to replace the engine it has to be registered as an engine swap and would be smogged under the laws for that time. for instance a vg30 in my truck would have to pass for the same year of vehicle the engine came out of. And here is the catch... You cant go backwards in years (no l16 in my truck). I did a LOT of research on the subject. Like I said, I don't really want to "work" the system. I want to do it right. I know that may not be the Ratsun way but that is my way. If I am going to do it I want to do it right. I could always convert to propane and pass on an alternative fuels smog laws but that isnt something that I feel is necessary. In a couple weeks we will see what it took to get it to pass. You probably won't get a $ amount (save some face) but I will express it in the amount of hassle. I am happy with the fact that it is where it is today and that I am getting it fixed up even if not by my own hands. Tonight I have been making a list of stuff I WILL do myself, and that list is long.

Alright so I busted out the hammer and dolly kit I got for my body work... I went at it for like 15 min (cant be too loud, damn apartments) and apparently it takes more work then I was throwing at it. The dents didnt even want to budge. I may wait till I sand it down with a long sand block to see all the points I need to pound out. Eyeballing doesn't seem to work too well. So tomorrow I think I am going to try to find a long sand block and go at it.

On another not I am still looking at power window kits but I am unsure about a few of them. The one I was looking at I dont think I want because it will leave me with the crank mechanism there and I will have to do something to cover it. SOOOO... I am going to find out the difference between flat glas sand curved I suppose and see if I can just rebuild something in there. Does any one have a 620 that the window actually rolls and seals correctly?

I will get into the Shaved door kit later:mad:

How did you mount the 200sx windows in yours. If it is a bolt in process then we may have a new install guide in the making.

Very basically I took the 620 window regulator out, (taped the window in place) the metal strip bolted to the bottom of the 620 glass has to come off and be bolted to the 200sx set up, put it back in (what's the expression... ten pounds of shit in a five pound bag?) reconnect the window glass, several of the electric bolt holes line up with the 620 door ones, enough to hold it fine, a strip of metal has to be riveted across the square opening over by the door latch to support an arm for the linkage (you'll see) wire it up with a single '60/'70/to mid '80 GM rocker switch on pass door and a double on the drivers so you can work the pass side.

The first one I tried on a spare door and it worked the first time no adjustments! Should have marked the holes I used 'cause I had a bitch transferring it over to my truck. Took pictures this AM but batteries low and could not load to computer, worked late, forgot new batteries, need to rest.....

My pass side quit working this summer and could not fix by wiggling the wires so will replace the motor. I have two spares, and they don't interchange side to side, there's a left and right side. Anyway, when I take the little bugger out I.ll get some pictures.

I have two L and R Maxima sets (four door wagon) They look the same as the 200sx. I'll bet the 280Z ones and the 720 ones are the same too.

My pass side quit working this summer and could not fix by wiggling the wires so will replace the motor. I have two spares, and they don't interchange side to side, there's a left and right side. Anyway, when I take the little bugger out I.ll get some pictures.

I have two L and R Maxima sets (four door wagon) They look the same as the 200sx. I'll bet the 280Z ones and the 720 ones are the same too.

Thanks, maybe a J/Y run will make things a little cheaper then the damn universal ones on ebay!

Here...

http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q251/datzenmike/IMG_0394.jpg[/img]"]IMG_0394.jpg

The thing above the double switch is for the GM remote control for the mirror on the door. The pass mirror has the control in the space where the dimmer switch for the dash lights used to be (joke aren't they?) You might notice that the drivers door handle is 1/2" shorter... So it will clear the 720 dash when the door is shut

http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q251/datzenmike/IMG_0397.jpg[/img]"]IMG_0397.jpg

When I stripped the Maxima I got the power door locks too! They could just be attached to the lock button I guess. Would have to have a remote (keyless) to operate them.

The 620 locks can't be set before you close the door, I guess so you can't lock your keys in the cab. I have a set of 200sx latch assys. that have a lock lever beside the pull handle. I think you can open the door, set the lock and close it already locked. Even those would be better than getting out and locking with the key.

• 2 weeks later...

UPDATE!!! Guess what I just rolled home in... My SMOGGED TRUCK!!! Ok ok ok. I didn't do the work my self (not the ratsun way) but I did get it done so I can enjoy my ratsun. I even took some pictures to share!

P1010097.jpg

P1010099.jpg

For those that wanted to see Clutch Fluid as a paint stripper... Oh yeah, I am ordering a new clutch Master Cylender to fix my little problem. I drove it home without a clutch today... not fun!

P1010103.jpg

P1010105.jpg

New part... OOOHHHH SHINEY!

P1010104.jpg

Some interior Pics for those that havnt seen the 350z seats or my datsun mats

P1010101.jpg

P1010102.jpg

Let me congratulate you on getting that truck smogged and right on legal...I know just what a hassle it can be trying to get a truck smog legal in So Calif...(My 79 GMC is gonna need to be smogged end of the year..) anyway, I know the "normal" thing to do is try to eliminate all the equipment and try to skate by your every other year smog test....but by doing it the "right way", I say, way to go dude..............Ron

Let me congratulate you on getting that truck smogged and right on legal...I know just what a hassle it can be trying to get a truck smog legal in So Calif...(My 79 GMC is gonna need to be smogged end of the year..) anyway, I know the "normal" thing to do is try to eliminate all the equipment and try to skate by your every other year smog test....but by doing it the "right way", I say, way to go dude..............Ron

Thanks man. I kinda do believe that the smog laws are good to an extent... But I never want this hassle again. I will be leaving the smog system alone now that I know it works. Next smog year shouldnt be an issue unless I break something:P I must say, getting a "hot" smog would have been easier and cheaper... but my truck sounds great and idles perfectly. I am in love again (other than the clutch). I HOPE to drive it to the show in LB but I have some work including getting the stearing done as it stands now, it is flat out dangerous. I know I know with me if itsnt one thing its another.

Congratulation's

I have never had to smog a vehicle(yet), i live one mile from the cutoff line. Not really looking forward to the day that i have to do it, but it's coming and i will have to smog a 1976 datsun and a 1976 toyota Landcruiser with a chev 350 in it. Not going to be fun tuning that one for smog, but it will have to pass.

Jason

Its done finally! Kool deal,now you can get on with the fun stuff. Replacing the clutch master is easy too, you can bleed it yourself :cool:

Yeah, I have done a few:) I will do it the gravity way. Amanda (my GF) will be out this weekend so she can help me with it:) Oh yeah, I already did SOME work on it. I readjusted the hood so the damn thing opens! Hah!

Congratulation's

I have never had to smog a vehicle(yet), i live one mile from the cutoff line. Not really looking forward to the day that i have to do it, but it's coming and i will have to smog a 1976 datsun and a 1976 toyota Landcruiser with a chev 350 in it. Not going to be fun tuning that one for smog, but it will have to pass.

Jason

those 76's shouldnt need deq yellow620.. i do believe anyways..

UPDATE!!! Guess what I just rolled home in... My SMOGGED TRUCK!!! Ok ok ok. I didn't do the work my self (not the ratsun way) but I did get it done so I can enjoy my ratsun. I even took some pictures to share!

P1010105.jpg

New part... OOOHHHH SHINEY!

whats that werid lookin shiney coffe can lookin thing attatched to your exhaust pipe??? LOL, jus givin u a hard time as always.. or should i say.. Just joshin ya.. haha congrats man!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!