The 320 progress thread

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

How the heck does the heater work in these things anyway?

two sliding things and a nob lol.

One knob controls if hot or fresh air comes in the cab, the other directs it. Either defrost or coming out on the floor. Ok just installed the NEW brake master & the pedal wont go to the floor or even move :confused: Is there a break in procedure such as pouring a but of fluid into the res. & gently working it in? The push rod is straight & is the same length as the old one.

Ok walk me through how to "bench bleed" the master :confused: Im hoping the piston is just stuck..i bought it off a guy in Washington awhile back along with a color horn button & the original radio. For what i paid for all 3 items is the same as somebody else wanted for a B & W horn button...{greedy}

Well, you should be able to move the rod by hand with no fluid in it and no lines or plugs in the ports. You might need to tear it down if it's seized...which it sounds as though it is.

Fo a bench bleed. Toss it in a vice and plug the ports with some plugs or bolts. Fill it with fluid and pump it up, bleed the forward port first then move to the rear port. Keep the fluid level up. Basically, you want to get all the air out of it before you install it. Then bleed the rest of the brakes after installation. Start with the wheel furthest away from the master and work your way back to the master.

Of course me not being familiar with the master in that year, it could only have one port. If that's the case you only need to bleed the one port :P

Bench bleeding is the same process for all makes of brake masters. Try a google search online or if you have Haynes manual for a 620 or other Datsun it might have an article with some pictures.

http://www.superchevy.com/technical/chassis/brakes/0509sc_bench/

http://www.denlorstools.com/home/dt1/page_7445/automotive_brake_bleeding_exclusive_tech_article.html (video)

Ok i guess it pays to pay attention. Turns out the "new" push rod was 1 inch longer than the "old" one & with the "new" one installed it was like having the pedal to the floor without stepping on it. Swapped in the "old" one & bled the system & the pedal feels ok for now. I bled the brakes myself using the steering wheel club to hold the pedal down as i bled each wheel...:cool: Also the "new" brake hoses were too big & wouldnt thread into the wheel cyl. so i used the old ones. And also i only used 1 of the O rings supplied in the wheel cyl. rebuild kits. The 320 cyl's. are a single piston, the kit supplies enough O rings/dust covers for a 2 piston unit. And oh yeah, the "new" dust covers arent even close to fitting or even looking the same...i re-used the old ones that are in good shape. Ill be going back to Napa & getting my $$$ back for the hoses.!

925newbrmaster.jpg

Very nice!!! ......wait....isn't it supposed to take 3 weeks to do that?!!!! :)

Mike your engine bay looks 10 times cleaner than mine. I did minimal tear down for the parts I painted. Im afraid of breaking bolts off...I also tightened the oil pan,front cover,exhaust, & the oil drain bolt, all were loose.

Allright people finally the roof & dash have color. After the paint shop giving me the run around yesterday im glad this part is done. I shot 3 coats of color & 3 coats of clear. I know it's not perfect but it'll do for now...

103masked2.jpg

103masked.jpg

base coat no clear...

103basecoatroof.jpg

103basecoatdash.jpg

with clear....

103dashcleared.jpg

103roofcleared.jpg

103dashdone.jpg

103roofdone.jpg

PCD, looking good. Nice work on the rusty front pillar. Got any pics of that repair?

What brand of paint? Types of primer, color and clear? Did you shoot it outside? Type of gun? Did you use different size tips for the primer, color and clear??

Ok got the dash in & almost together.........

103dashin.jpg

Figbuck- On one of the pages it shows before & after of the pillar repair. I went with Nason for the base $35 for 1 quart & i didnt even use half of it. Clear is a generic low VOC fast drying product that is a Urythene. Primer was plastic coat rattle can, i did paint it outside & kept the ground wet, & the gun is a Sata-jet gravity feed.