Lucky day, lucky day!

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry I was away from a comp for the weekend. Yes, I know I am missing all 3 nipples... I will be heading back to that junk yard soon to see if I can snag them off of the other truck there. I think those are easier to find then the factory tach. :P

The grill, is super straight and yes, I like the newer grills over the older style.

What are some other rare parts I should be looking for? I have the AC unit that I bought on ebay and I find them in Junk Yards fairly frequently. I dont have much of a plan to put on in my truck. I think my next mission is to find a decent l20b to pull. I think the 78 that was in the J/Y had a 5 speed but it was gone by the time I got there. I suppose I will have to check that place out more often. You should see what is left of the 73 (the one that I got most of the parts from). It was kinda sad to see that poor truck look so stripped.

Datsun Dreamer - The doors are for my restoration. I will keep an eye out for anything you may need. You are like an hour away so shoot me a PM with what you may want and I will keep an eye out.

Okies, well I played with the door today and the door cleaned up ok but running my hand across it I was able to feel all the door dings... So I get to work on some body work and figure out how some filler works. Here is some before and after cleaning pics. I removed the glass and everything else I could. I wanted to know how it all fit together.

P1010014.jpg

P1010015.jpg

I am just kinda playing around and wasting time till I figure out my engine issue. I just need to take it to the mechanic and commit to it. Does anyone in socal have SMOG crap they took off their cali smog truck?

Brake fluid leaves a residue that new paint won't stick to. They make paint removers. JASCO works really well, but don't get it on your skin. I've also used Klean-strip "Aircraft Remover", though I've never had an aircraft stuck to my engine parts it does seem to remove the paint.

Another thing JASCO is good for is removing carbon deposits from pistons and cylinder heads- it just dissolves it, without the damage bead-blasting does to aluminum.

pre 1976 is exempt. :D

find a ref who will visually pass you.

most of the time the crap doesnt work. all they are doing is verifing that the equipment is present. maybe they wont even find what is/was required :rolleyes:

if you pass then why would it matter :confused:

Sorry I was away from a comp for the weekend. Yes, I know I am missing all 3 nipples... I will be heading back to that junk yard soon to see if I can snag them off of the other truck there. I think those are easier to find then the factory tach. :P

The grill, is super straight and yes, I like the newer grills over the older style.

What are some other rare parts I should be looking for? I have the AC unit that I bought on ebay and I find them in Junk Yards fairly frequently. I dont have much of a plan to put on in my truck. I think my next mission is to find a decent l20b to pull. I think the 78 that was in the J/Y had a 5 speed but it was gone by the time I got there. I suppose I will have to check that place out more often. You should see what is left of the 73 (the one that I got most of the parts from). It was kinda sad to see that poor truck look so stripped.

Datsun Dreamer - The doors are for my restoration. I will keep an eye out for anything you may need. You are like an hour away so shoot me a PM with what you may want and I will keep an eye out.

If you are that close to Datsun Dreamer, you must be close to me as well (Chino, Calif)...what junk yard did you find these goodies in? I thought I knew all the good spots...LOL I think Jason (Datsun Dreamer) found his doors and a few other goodies at the pick a part in Adelanto last weekend....I am however looking for the thermostat housing for an L20b..like a 78 or 79.....

pre 1976 is exempt. :D

find a ref who will visually pass you.

most of the time the crap doesnt work. all they are doing is verifing that the equipment is present. maybe they wont even find what is/was required :rolleyes:

if you pass then why would it matter :confused:

Is that really pre '76...I thought it was pre '75 and that was gonna be it!...I have a 79 GMC pickup that I was hoping to not smog in a few years..but, I heard that the cut off was 75...did I hear wrong...I hope...I Hope!!

You all need to not tell me where you are located because I like to ask for help... a lot (ask mklotz and Pac Coast). Anyway, I am in Lancaster and there are about 9 junkyards within like 10 minutes of each other. The one that I stripped the parts from was an Ecology Lot in Lancaster. This same lot I had been to a ton of times (damn $2 entry fee) and they never had anything. I just happen to have gone to the other 8 in the area and figured what the hell why not try it. I lucked out. Anyways, PM me or hit me up on IM and I am always willing to look out for what you may need. Of course things like the tach and what not are kind of an obvious thing that I will pull ANYTIME I see one. There is a 78 pickup in that yard with a mostly intact engine... HOWEVER I am not so sure I am willing to try to get the thermostat housing for you from it due to it being about 2 inches deep in rat turds. I will be likely stopping by there on Friday when I get my truck to take it to a mechanic so I will see where it is located and if I can do it without disturbing the feces.

California Law states that any vehicle 1975 or older does not require smog. So the statement that prior than 76 vehicles dont need to be smogged is correct. I thought about registering my vehicle as a historic vehicle (over 25 years old)... but I cant find if I still need it to pass smog that way. They revoked the 30 year clause in 2005 I believe hence why it is still at 1975 and has not moved. I have been doing as much homework as possible. I just want this poor thing on the road:(