Mystery: Can you name this engine? Or anything else?

So I met a nice guy named Jeff who I believe is a lobster man/fisherman up in Maine. He has super cool 411 sss he was selling (and a 620 KC) but after introducing him to Ratsun, and seeing what kind of community we are, he is thinking about keeping that 411 and joining our little home away from home.

He actually is one of the few who had 'Ratsun' on his license plate before he even knew we existed!

Anyway hopefully he will be here soon and start sharing, but in the mean time, he sent me this little puzzle I thought I would share. I have no idea what is going on in this pic. But the the car belongs to his 86 yr old father. Jeff says, " was looking through my pics and found some of my Dads car he built in the late seventys, I have more pics to send but I thought you could start a wave of head scratching. Many many hours of hand made parts.

Dads car is a rising sun powered Beast nick named the mountain grizzly."

I am sure he will fill in more details but I wondered if y'all had any guess as to what we are looking at?

JEffsDadsWhat2.jpg

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

i just noticed this sentence. i had no clue any japanese motors came out in a flat 4 configuration.

suburu

its a flat 4 look at the headers there is only 2 pipes per side has to be an early subi motor with majot modification to make that blower work check out the size of them su's:eek:

suburu

its a flat 4 look at the headers there is only 2 pipes per side has to be an early subi motor with majot modification to make that blower work check out the size of them su's:eek:

i was mentioning the guys son said it was a japanese motor. i could tell it was a flat 4 setup.

I'd say actually from the dizzy its more clearly a subi. Don't Porsches run one sim and then another cocked tot he side? Also those valve covers are anything but Porsche style

Here is a 80's subi DL, notice the dizzy location and valve covers being almost exact.

dsc00056_XWD_PakWheels(com).jpg

That's why your a "datsun mechanic" Kiznook :-), IDK if its that exact engine though the water pump and oil filter are dif. Maybe relocated. It's def 100% subi though.

Edited by 72240z

It is a Panhard...but which one?

I can only find the Panhard CD model even comes close to the square headlight and the long swooped hood. :confused:

How much of this car is modded and how much is stock? It seems that from what I have read these cars did have a flat-twin cylinder engine. Maybe that motor is stock to that car??

Edited by Phlebmaster

Not even close to the suby motors you guys have posted... it resembles the VW motor hands down. Look where the exhaust exits the head. And definitely not a french 2 cylinder. Looks to be opposed 4 cyl. Rising sun could be anything east Asian including Subaru. Rectangle headlights were added to the car which appears to have wiring reminiscent of Lucas.

JEffsDadsWhat2.jpg

Edited by datzenmike