New old look for Funtana

Steroid

Here is Funtana as of today. The classic look of a Pacific Top shell!!!!! The rear window still needs to be tinted in the morning and a SWDP sticker added, but this is how Funtana will stay now.

Funtanashell1.jpg

Funtanashell2.jpg

Funtanashell3.jpg

Funtanashell5.jpg

Funtanashell4.jpg

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks guys ! ! ! That was how it was done and I tried My best to capture a moment in time to share it with You. Once again, I just wish that I could take all You guys in a time machine to a run in 1976 and see 800+ of these rigs in one place at one time ! ! ! At least You get the idea what We did then. If You like this.......... stay tuned to what I'm going to do with Wasserman's Wonder!!!

Hi Dave ! ! ! How are You feeling? Hope all is going well. Take care.

nice! that brings back lots of memories. I used to belong to FMT (Foothill Mini Truckers) they were in La Crescenta CA., and then Slo-Ryde Minis. They were based in the San Fernando Valley. Lots of those style trucks!

OOOHHH old school club memories there! Do you know John conrad..was the pres of Foothill. Sorry Mike for the hijack :D

Thanks guys!!!! This is even more of a trip to drive now!!! It is so close to My old orange 1974 that I built in 1980. I guess that it must be either "different" or bright as people going the other way really "rubberneck" while I pass!!!

Note: If any of You EVER SEE ANOTHER WING at a wrecking yard, on an old van setting around somewhere (where I found this one), PLEASE let Me know or buy it for Me!!! It took Me (8 years ago) over 2 years of bugging the Chevy van owner that this wing was on to finally sell it to Me. Wasserman's Wonder needs a wing. I have drilled it for this wing to change out back and forth but I am hoping to find a perminate one someday. Anyone of You guys see an old custom van with one on top??? Thanks, Mike

OK, it's time for "wingology 101" This wing is an aluminum extrusion. It is hollow. What they did was to make a bent or curved extrusion that, of all things, had four incorporated areas where small nails could hold the ends on. It is very hard to explain without a drawing but the ends were actually 2 pieces of aluminum sheet that was pressed for the end. Then four small holes were drilled where the extrusion would acomodate the nails to hold them in place. The end pieces were bent when I obtained it so I simply bought 3/8" aluminum plate and used one of the original un-bent pieces to draw the outline. After cutting and shaping correctly, I had them welded to each end of the wing. The "pillars" are also made out of aluminum sheet and bent to make "streamlined" mounts. I never had a wing like this one before but I remember them. The other type was made by a shop and distributed by Moon. I found an ad (I'll post it later) in a Hotrod issue from 1968 and actually showed it to Moon last year to see about re-issue. They said "no" unfortunently. If You guys see any of any vintage type, please pick them up.

• 2 weeks later...

Steroid I had a strange question for you regarding your trucks. Does the massive lean mess with the engine oiling system? Or effect anything else on the engine? Does it change the caster? Are you coming to Canby? I want to go for a ride :D

Hi Icehouse!!!

As I've told You guys, I've never been a "motorhead". With that in mind, I really don't know. I drove My Datsun SS about 80,000 miles, My kingcab about 50,000 miles and My old orange truck about 20,000 miles lowered that way. They never broke down. I have always on all My vehicles changed the oil and filter at around 3,000 miles. That is the only answer I can give. Everyone else back then had Their trucks lowered and with this thought in mind: We were still on factory warantees....... and the dealers never told anyone that I knew or Myself to raise them back up. The only thing that I have ever been told with Datsuns is: Do NOT use WATER in the radiator, ONLY use a coolant mix and NEVER let them overheat!! I have tried My best on all trucks that I have owned to do this but twice I have overheated a truck. The coolant level dropped and I didn't notice it. But oil-wise, I've never had a problem. This might be a good topic, though, to ask on the engine thread. Good question!!!!!!

Hi again Icehouse,

I noticed I didn't answer the caster part. Yes, it does affect it. If You look at My photos closely, such as the one of Funtana and Choptana at the Roddin' On The River event thread, You will really see it on that picture. On My old orange truck, I took the time to put shims between the upper control arm and the frame. As it was, at that time, My daily transportation, I had to do that. On My trucks today, I drive them so rarely that I haven't done anything yet. I've only driven Funtana about 300 miles since it was built and Choptana about 80, so I'm not yet really tearing up the front tires too bad. Interesingly enough, My neighbor came over and rode about 10 miles in Choptana one day. When We returned, He took a heat sensing gun that He uses in His work and went over the truck starting with the rear wheel. The passenger's side brake was adjusted too tight and He wanted to see just how much it heated up on that drive. What was COOL, was that He checked the engine temp, all of the cooling hoses, the wheel bearings and then the FRONT TIRES. The gun actually showed the outside of the tires hotter from friction than the inside!! So yes, there is definate wear going on as indicated by that awesome machine!! Oh yeah, He also told Me that a gun like that runs about $1,000.00 bucks!!!! But I learned a lot that day, to answer Your question.