1969 Toyota Crown

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

i have no idea where the build plate would be. but it should either be in the eng bay on the fender or firewall, or in a door jamb.

this is a pic of a much newer one

031508_1510a.jpg

the code on this plate is F312

F = 7.5in diff

31 = ratio (3.91)

2 = pinion setup (2= open 2 pinion)

and if it ends in a even number its a open diff, odd its lsd.

handy chart i like to use http://www.toysport.com/Technical%20Information/Toyota%20Differentials%20Identifications.htm

Sweet ride man! I love those old Yotas! I would really dig an old Corona too! I almost picked up a pretty nice 68 for 200 bucks..missed it by a day.:cool:

You did well with this one!

Definitely lovin the old school valve cover in there!:D

• 4 months later...

i have some bigger steelies with trim rings ready to go. they are off a dodge magnum. they are black now, i have thought about red wheels, but not sure. that is a 2m? looks sweet! i keep thinking about a 7mgte but the stock engine runs so well it will stay awhile. that engine is carb'd, so that would be an easier swap i suppose. no fuel injection to run. i have been told that any m engine will bolt right in and bolt to the tranny.

Edited by CharlieBucket

idk... it might not be a 2m... somebody that knows toyotas will pipe up at some point. i just did a google image search for toyota 2m and that was one that popped up... that one and the other pic already posted and that's it.. haha.

it looks like it's in a 2000gt... so whatever motor came in them.

edit: did some research... according to wikipedia that is a 3m. smaller displacement but dohc.

dont putta 7M innit :(

good engines, tow pretty sweet and arent as slow as you'd guess but theyre unreliable. chronic headgasket problems all the time, though if you pull the head off and face it, and deck the block etc (ie do it properly) with the right gasket and ARP studs you'd be set

just as long as you're prepared to do that is all :D crown looks tuff!

the stock engine is def staying for a long time. i like to talk about swaps alo but i am pretty sure this motor only has about 60k. and it runs great. at first i wanted a 5-speed, but now i even like the 4 on the floor. it is a very stong tranny, no need to mess with it.

• 5 weeks later...

i have thought about a 5-speed alot, but you'd be surprised with the 4-speed in this thing. its is geared nicely and will go over 100 without screaming to much. the whole drivetrain is just rock solid. i am going to focus on body and surface rust that covers everything on the bottom for a while. if i dont get por-15 doen there it will be a problem in the future.

• 11 months later...

I havn't updated this in a long time! 2 posts up i said the stock engine was staying a long time! Wrong! it blew up! i think i ran it to hard getting it back from florida and all after it's long break. Anyway, car is back on the road with a toyota 6M enine {5m top and 7m bottom} and supra mark II brakes. Running big steelies for now, the old 14" can't fit over the new brakes. Pics are from our annual 4th of July car meet

36414_403951737451_61255482451_4829.jpg

crown4th2010hood.jpg

Crown4th2010.jpg

4th2.jpg

4th.jpg

Thanks guys, some big dog dishes would be nice. Hard to find them for a 17" wheel! i have some 16x8 enkei 92's that i want to run on it also, but the steelies are growing on me.

the 92s are sick wheels but I think the steelies match the car really well :D

please god don't go the 7m route..

oh.. too late :( car looks fucking amazing and those wheels.. i can't say enough about how good it looks. but you're gonna spin a bearing in no time with the 7m block. my buddy has gone through two in three years

Well it was built internally by a very experienced mechanic. Plus i just cruise this car, it's not a race/drift car or anything. So hopefully it should be fine for a while.

I love the big steelies! Are they from a different manufacturer or are they aftermarket?

Dodge Charger! That's why the trim rings where easy to find i guess. i should have went with the crown vic 16" steelies maybe, but these do look bad-ass. but they scrub alot! 275 tires aren't helping at all!

Well it was built internally by a very experienced mechanic. Plus i just cruise this car, it's not a race/drift car or anything. So hopefully it should be fine for a while.

Dodge Charger! That's why the trim rings where easy to find i guess. i should have went with the crown vic 16" steelies maybe, but these do look bad-ass. but they scrub alot! 275 tires aren't helping at all!

okay. hopefully he put oversized bearings in it because regardless what they're used for they always seem to develop a knock about 4k miles after rebuild :( not having a turbo is definitely another plus

but seriously. it looks amazing and don't change the wheels! if anything you need to stretch some other tires :) rice it out. personally i don't mind a little rubbing

okay. hopefully he put oversized bearings in it because regardless what they're used for they always seem to develop a knock about 4k miles after rebuild :( not having a turbo is definitely another plus

but seriously. it looks amazing and don't change the wheels! if anything you need to stretch some other tires :) rice it out. personally i don't mind a little rubbing

Tire stretch has been on my mind lately! I'll try it

Wow! I have to say what a good cruiser to drive. I would rock that ride any day. :D

Thanks man, it is nice to cruise. Of course i havn't hooked up the exhaust yet, so it's a screaming open downpipe! Which sounds great really, but considering it a fresh motor and i can't hit full throttle during my break in period it's kinda annoying.