71 510 gets a new heart

comply

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes I'm back in CO :) Car is down here in Pueblo at my dads. I'm up in Castle Rock.

Hainz, I got every piece recommended by the community for the 5-speed swap. I have checked and double checked installation. The only thing I THINK may be wrong is the slave cylinder. I am using one from a '79 200sx, but I just read that the stock 510 one works too?

I bled the clutch system completely.

Start the car and you can hear the screeching from the t/o bearing rub against the pressure plate. Push the clutch in and the car stalls. I think the slave cylinder is off...somehow.

To me it looks/sounds like the T/O beaing is on the backwards. The freely spinning surface of the T/O bearing should be the one contacting the flywheel.

It is. Does anyone have a picture of how the spring that holds the sleeve to the clutch fork goes on?

The bearing is pressed on all the way, I am pretty sure it's onthe right way, but wont know without seeing a picture of what it SHOULD look like.

i am going to agree with duke on this one....... another question.... is the t/o bearing pressed on all the way?
Datzenmike has photos of varios T/O bearing on what they look like. I figured you seen them already

the slave will not matter. I use both models of them. really its just the rod thats different.

weird that the motor dies/loads up when you push the clutch in.

Is the Parkingbrake On or the trans good in the first place???????

It does it in neutral, so it doesnt matter if the parking brake is on or not.

Trans went in just fine once we got it lined up.

weird that the motor dies/loads up when you push the clutch in.

This is what makes me think that the T/O bearing is on backwards. The excessive friction between the back of the T/O bearing and the clutch spring is causing the motor to stall.

This is what makes me think that the T/O bearing is on backwards. The excessive friction between the back of the T/O bearing and the clutch spring is causing the motor to stall.

When it happened on the old setup and we pulled the t/o bearing and the pressure plate, the bearing was seized

0705091434.jpg

0705091433.jpg

Something wrong with this picture (bearing)

Where did you get that bearing?

It has that raised rim in the inner section of the bearing

It dug in to your pressure plate and definitely a friction.

Now if you got a new bearing and looks like this

You'll have the same problem.

Something wrong with this picture (bearing)

Where did you get that bearing?

It has that raised rim in the inner section of the bearing

It dug in to your pressure plate and definitely a friction.

Now if you got a new bearing and looks like this

You'll have the same problem.

The only reason the bearing looks like that is because it was pressed against the pressure plate firmly. Normally there is no inner lip. That part is flush with the rest of the bearing.