71 510 gets a new heart

comply

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Here is my procedure.... assuming you have a picker and the tools and the motor and tranny are one unit. This is how I do it with my 620.

call Atom...:D JK

1. Get a camera with good batteries and take pics of before, during and after.

2. drain the coolant and unwire/hose the engine and tranny. (label everything)

3. Pull off your hood, and radiator, and I always pull off the fan too.

4. take off your nuts...:D I mean the motor mount nuts and the tranny mount bolts, exhaust manifold etc...

5. Jack up the front of your Datto about 12-18" off of the ground and put jack stands under your frame. (be sure to chock your rear wheels)

6. support your tranny with a jack and hook up your picker to the motor using a ballancer if you have one.

7. then take off your tranny crossmember bolts and pull out of the way with the tranny supported by the jack.

8. lift the motor up a little at a time and rock it side to side if you need to untill it pulls off of the motor mounts.

9. slowly lower the jack supporting the tranny a little at a time, alternating lifting the motor picker an lowering the tranny untill the drive shaft comes out. then get the jack out of the way. (find a way to plug the the rear of the tranny otherwise you will have gear oil everywhere :eek:)

10. then with a bit of effort rock the motor and tranny back and forth while raising it up with the picker. you may have trouble with the steering tie rod and the lip on the firewall. (But the lift usually wins)

11. carefully lift the motor/tranny up untill the oil pan clears the front end, you may have to turn the motor to one side and manually lift it a bit to clear everything.

12. your done. :D If I missed something please chime in.

The reverse is true to reinstallation.

Edited by Phlebmaster
Any progress? Be sure to post pics of the install. :D

Unfortunately, not much. Have to help my mother move out of her house today, but Tomorrow we should get back on it. Pain in the arse lining up openings in our schedules. I'll make sure to bring a better camera than my phone :D

Got the radiator, AC radiator thing, transmission and motor out today. It's slow going, but neither of us have done this before and we only have a few hours on weekends to do it.

0201091236.jpg

0201091321.jpg

0201091322.jpg

Next weekend, possibly this week if I have time, I'll be swapping the alternator, oil pan, clutch slave cylinder, etc then bolting it all together with the new transmission stuff.

My 4-speed was in horrible shape. The bell housing was full of oil and dirt.

Oh, I also managed to break a bunch of wires off of the transmission. Not on purpose, but just turning the plugs to unscrew them broke the wires off. So I think I'll need to rewire those. I know one is the reverse light, but the others I'm not sure of. Time to break out the old wiring diagram :rolleyes:

Aaron! You and Atom need to come out here and help me with this :D I hear you have experience!

Progress! Sweet!

Those wires on the tranny.....one is for your reverse lights and the other is for activation of the secondary points on my truck.

I wish I could be there. :D Follow those steps I listed.

The only issues we had were getting the transmission out(my exhaust and ebrake cable were giving us issues), and the motor getting stuck on some stuff. we had to remove the fan, and the motor mounts from the engine because they kept getting stuck on the exhaust manifold. Other than that it was cake. I need to power wash the bottom of my engine so I can see the bolts for my oil pan removal.

I need to figure those wires out! lol

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Well things have been slow. Between visits from friends and being sick for a few weeks I haven't been able to get much done. I don't know what exactly I have left to do.

Motor is pulled, oil pan and pickup tube swapped.

Clutch and pressure plate are installed(hopefully correctly)

Alternator is bolted on, but the adjuster arm doesn't seem to let it slide very far down.

Transmission has new slave cylinder installed. I need to get the old T.O. bearing pulled and install the new one. I need to pack the new one with grease right?

Things I know I need to do:

Make a crossmember for the transmission

Figure out how t.o. bearing goes on.

buy hoses.

bolt starter onto motor.

I'm getting very worried about all of this because it's new to me. I figure if I get it back together, and it doesn't start, or doesn't drive, I can always tow it to an actual shop and have them ream me.

Please no "you shouldnt own a datsun if you cant do this" comments. They don't help. If you have something constructive or helpful to say though, by all means do.

Anyone know how to get my t/o bearing off of this..whatever it is? The haynes manual says to use some specialty tool. A tool that no parts store in town has heard of. Auto Zone says the t/o bearing and whatever it's attached to come together, and there is no tool to separate them.

0309091604.jpg

Thats the throwout bearing collar with the throwout bearing attached to it. You can use a 19mm socket and a hammer to remove it. Put it in a bench vise and just tap it out. Make sure you hit the socket, not the collar.

Do you have a new on to put on?

Thats the throwout bearing collar with the throwout bearing attached to it. You can use a 19mm socket and a hammer to remove it. Put it in a bench vise and just tap it out. Make sure you hit the socket, not the collar.

Do you have a new on to put on?

Nice! Thanks! I have a new t/o bearing, yes.

• 1 month later...

You will get it done with the help of your Ratfriends man. Do you have a line up tool for your clutch (they come with the new clutch kits these days). You have to have that disc dead center when put the presure plate on, then tighten the bolts evenly that hold it to the flywheel. The tool should slide in and out easily if not start over. When you go to put the trans in this makes for a smoother step. You may get a bit flusterd when getting it up in and mated flush with the motor (just a warning) sometimes they just slide in slick as shit. Others they can be a bitch. Just take your time use a jack and don't force anything. Alignment is the key and have the trans in gear and someone up front to turn the engine over back and forth at the front pully. This gets the splines on the shaft lined up. (try your cluch disc on the trans shaft before you put it together on the engine). Lube the splines on the shaft with a little antiseize also the inside of that collar that the throwout bearing is on. They should slide nice and easy. Keep grease from getting on the flywheel and disc have some brake cleaner handy should it happen by mistake.

Did you use thread locker on your flywheel bolts and torque it to specs?

Enough for now? I'm not the best on here for talking people through, but I'm here. Your not on your own ....... kinda:)

The shifter on the dogleg is all wobbly so I decided to try to find a bushing. I couldn't, so instead I decided to improvise. Got some vacuum caps, shaved one down a bit, and cut the end off. Looks like it'll work just fine :)

0427091841.jpg

0427091842.jpg

You will get it done with the help of your Ratfriends man. Do you have a line up tool for your clutch (they come with the new clutch kits these days). You have to have that disc dead center when put the presure plate on, then tighten the bolts evenly that hold it to the flywheel. The tool should slide in and out easily if not start over. When you go to put the trans in this makes for a smoother step. You may get a bit flusterd when getting it up in and mated flush with the motor (just a warning) sometimes they just slide in slick as shit. Others they can be a bitch. Just take your time use a jack and don't force anything. Alignment is the key and have the trans in gear and someone up front to turn the engine over back and forth at the front pully. This gets the splines on the shaft lined up. (try your cluch disc on the trans shaft before you put it together on the engine). Lube the splines on the shaft with a little antiseize also the inside of that collar that the throwout bearing is on. They should slide nice and easy. Keep grease from getting on the flywheel and disc have some brake cleaner handy should it happen by mistake.

Did you use thread locker on your flywheel bolts and torque it to specs?

Enough for now? I'm not the best on here for talking people through, but I'm here. Your not on your own ....... kinda:)

I've got a clutch alignment tool, yeah. Thanks for the info on mating the trans to the motor. It'll help a lot :) I just hope it's not too hard to do with the motor already mounted.

I have some grease that according to my haynes manual needs to be packed into the inside of my throwout bearing sleeve.

I haven't torqued the flywheel bolts down yet, as I need to find my torque wrench. Is thread locker necessary?

Dude, the bushings for the dog leg are still available through Nissan. You'll need a total of 3 I believe:

62855-H1010 for 2

32861-N4200 for 1

Those part numbers don't work on nissanparts.cc :(

Edit: The first one doesn't.

I bought 2 sets of brass shifter bushings from ebay for my dogleg. Press them in and then grind down the sides just a little bit with a flat file. I don't think the vaccum caps will help with the side to side motion. Car looks good BTW!:D

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/DATSUN-510-620-720-810-B110-B210-SHIFTER-BUSHINGS-K_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trkparmsZ66Q3a2Q7c65Q3a10Q7c39Q3a1Q7c240Q3a1318Q7c301Q3a1Q7c293Q3a1Q7c294Q3a50QQ_trksidZp3286Q2ec0Q2em14QQhashZitem120404244110QQitemZ120404244110QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories