Score of the week

RB_Shaggs

So long story short i have been eyeing this dime for months, since the first kid that bought it off the old guy who died. the first kid that got it put it through a fence and mashed up the pass. side doors and fender then he traded it for a 4runner. so now the kid who got it on the trade, had problems with the su's.. so he wanted to get rid of it. so i traded him for my daily 620 because he wanted a truck. i have my 510 shell and the body panels are good so i am going to swap all that next week but tues. (my day off) i am pulling the su's off and puttting my downdraft for my KC on it and trying to fix the ignition so i can drive it. while i fix the su's. it has a L18 w/ a87 head su's and a five speed, with a cage. i feel i got a killer deal.

the truck

IMAGE_003.jpg

the new dime

510.jpg

IMAGE_004.jpg

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

body paneles my other one is just a shell.. i gotta swap to my 332/36 empi downdraft while i fix the su's and i need to figure out a way to work a ignition until i can get a keyed one.. i will post some more pics and progress tomorrow when i hopefully get it running.

so today i have put my battery in it and a ignition from a truck and i got it to start and run drove it around the block but when the electric fuel pump turns on when you turn the key the su's leak fuel like the bowls are filling any ideas.

okay so here is my delima.. does anyone know what the hitachi model number for the SU's are.. i found a SU rebuild kit but it is not the right thing the float gasket is different. here are pics

the kit that i have

MGB-020.gif

the kit i need

sss.jpg

the biggest difference is the float set up for the gasket. the su kit has a 3 hole gasket but i need a 4 hole gasket.. so if i can get the hitachi model number i should be able to order it through my parts guy.. also funny story the float is a ping pong ball.

• 2 weeks later...

so i got a set of floats from slodat (thanks again).. got the SUs put back together put a fuel pressure regulator inline. now i have a issue where when i start my car it goes immediately to full throttle, and does not go back down. i am baffeled i tried everything i could think of and it still does it. anybody got ideas

:confused:okay these su's are making me pull my hair out.. i ran a F.P.R. put actual floats in, adjusted them, and changed the damper oil. yet still under load it is falling on it's face like it does not have enough fuel. so i give it some more fuel yet it still stumbles, less then before nut still stumbles. i really don't want to take them off because then i have to find linkage. i just don't know what to do.:confused::mad:

Did you set the needle height in the piston properly? Make sure they bottom out exactly in the jet nozzle (at zero turns fine mixture)

Also (at least for z-car SU's) the fine mixture adjustment nut is 3.5 turns out stock setting...if either of these are off by too much, that might be the problem.

Hope this helped...

[Edit: Also check that the pistons can slide up and down without binding in the domes.]

Edited by hughdogz

:confused:okay so these are beyond my fixing level i guess i am baffeled so i am going to go to my single downdraft but i need the throttel cable since this car has all the fancy su linkage anybody happen to have one? i will post picks of what is on the car later today.