OEM Header? 4-2-1

Guest nateoneel

Guest nateoneel

I found this at the junk yard today for $35. It looks like a factory header 4-2-1. Has no smog ports and has fins on it. The only problem is this has square ports like on a U67 and I have a W58 with round ports. Can I use it? Or should I trade someone on ratsun for a shorty round port header? 78' 620

Thanks for your advice,

nate

DSCN5989.jpg

DSCN5988.jpg

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest nateoneel
did the studs break off on that manifold?????

I do have a short round port header. But wont gareentee it

There are no studs in it. Just treaded holes. If you have a shorty round port header can you post pics of it on here? And Are you willing to trade???

nate

DSCN5991.jpg

Edited by nateoneel
Ive got the same thing on the L18 that came out of my 74 parts truck. Was going to use it until i spotted that it has square ports.

It's not from the '77 for sure. It looks very like the '74 L18 manifold but doesn't have the EGR tube and I don't see the threaded hole for it either. Another thing is the missing air injection holes... I think this may be from an earlier L16 motor m

aybe a 521?

OEM header...:D

Yes, these are good performing, some say as well as an aftermarket tubular header but never rust out. If it matches the ports on the head.

Who ever says that is incorrect. Stock mani is never going perform as well as a equal length tubi. Stock cast def would take way longer to rust out and also isn't prone to cracking though for sure.

Square port with round header leaks because the corners don't seal. Where as round port with square header seals fine its just not port matched which is ideal.

Blocking off the corners of a square header by using them on a round port head hurts flow enough to negate the point for using it, esp if your going to just just another cast stocker. It's a cool stocker and the bottom half is nifty but better you just use the correct piece.