SR...agian!

Guys, Im really getting serious with the SR swap I have been dreaming about. So its come down to this. I'm taking my car to Signal in Torrance, CA. For those of you who are familiar with the name Signal ringing in your head the famous Signal Skyline R34, yup thats the guys. So they too are excited and want to get it and slap a signal sticker on my car. So, for the engine swap they want 6,000. A down payment of 1,000. So tomorrow the 22, i will have knee surgery and i wont drive for about 3-6 weeks. Hopefully my dad well send in my car with the down payment. I already told my dad this is vital if i wanna go to school up north and i don't want any graduation gift or anything this is my birthday and graduation and so on and so forth. So I'm asking for someone to answer a few questions. I need to fix suspension and brakes before the swap. So does anyone one know any suspension setup to work with my 1974 Datsun 710 2door Sedan? I've heard its the same setup up front for a 510. the rear is what is different. is this true? Can anyone go out of there way and either send me a list of products i can do or a brake setup. Signal said they would install it too for labor only if i supply the parts at around $180 no matter the part. So for swap and suspension and brakes I'm guessing 8,000 would do the trick but i first need suspension and brakes. Please help me. Do you guys think its worth going crazy i know a few shops who are willing to redo interior and dynamat it and what not. Nice sparcos or recaros or something...3 or 4 point harnest. so a total would be 12,000 but it would be show quality work. Is it worth it. I do need either a new car or a new engine.

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

personally i think you may have smoked to much crack when you came up with the idea of dropping 12k into a 710... but then again most people would say the same thing about any datto :lol::lol::lol: so you should really get your prioritys written down Needs VS Wants and then if you have all your needs met then go for it man. You mentioned going to school, can you afford school? if you cant afford school you might want to think less zeros IMO

I think the with some ZX brakes in the front and some good rear brakes your rig will be fine. With stock springs it will be a wild ride :D haha Massive squat on takeoffs and that sorta thing. Can't wait for the build shots :D

yea dude Techno Toy Tunning has a suspension setup for the 510 and im sure the guys at Signal could custom fabricate it to fit which cost about 2,000. but now i need brakes. Brakeplanet has some front disc brakes that would surely stop it but idk about the rear. Brembo has some drums but idk would that stop a SR20?

You could save yourself a mega-shit ton of money if you did just a little bit of this yourself. Start reading other peoples posts, take lots of notes on paper then make a list of what you want to do and the money you are willing to spend. I think you'll find everything becomes more relastic on paper. Good luck!:D

I think the main problem is not that it hasn't been done before (there's no such thing as an original idea)... It's that you haven't done enough research. The 710 is very similar to the 510 front suspension... The crossmember is a little wider (half inch I think), the control arms are supposed to be a hair longer, and on some of the 710's the strut top has an offset insulator to account for a camber issue present from the factory... But none of this matters in a custom application, all of these parts can be bolted into a 510 though so that means aftermarket parts for the 510 will bolt into a 710, if you had research you'd know all of this. As for the SR, anything designed for the 510 will obviously work as well.

This isn't the kind of thing you just dive head first into... You need to go read. Otherwise your gonna spend out your ass for someone to figure out the things you would already know by using your "google" wisely. I haven't seen you mention anything about the rear suspension, which is gonna be the toughest part, for a proect like this it would be stupid to just throw on some shocks and blocks...

Soory if i come off sounding like an ass, but it just seems like i shouldnt have to tell some who is taking on this sort of project to do research. Good luck!

I guess if dady has that kind of money to piss away power to you but personally I follow the "If you didn't build it, it's not yours." motto. I kind of don't see the point of a project if you paying for all of it, just buy one done, they exist. The drift taxed, played out sr has been in everything with a burger logo, it's not even "custom" anymore far as I'm concerned. So 12k or w/e just leaves me shaking my head.

Sounds harsh I know but when you need to be told to do even the most base of research I feel they are required. Your excited and you have the means, thats honestly good for you but take a step back and think/read/think/read for as long as it takes. Best of luck.

Guys i totally understand where your coming for. I have done my research and my work. I know the 510 and 710 are similar front suspension wise. I know all of that. But the reason i want to get an SR is not because of the drift craze, but rather a need. I need a new engine. I took my car to San Fran and didn't not survive. It failed. If I want to go to school in the bay area, it needs to regularly move around swiftly. But it failed. So the SR is more power great motor, and never done before for a 510. And honest to god i wish i could do the work my self. But i cant. Now is the most perfect time to do a swap because you have to take my car away from me. SOO i just had knee surgery on monday, and my dad just gave me a downpayment for the swap at signal auto. But 500 of a downpayment is not gonna cut it. So on monday im going to ask my dads partner for a 10-12 K loan. I would pay him off as soon as im able to work for him being his bitch. Suspension and brakes would cost about 5,000. the swap is 6,000 and extras like intake and what nots would cost more. Point is this car would be sweet. Im going to take it to shows and get noticed and represent Datsun. Its a tough mountain of debut to pay but this guy has a huge heart and i know when he sees im working hard for this he would be impressed and let me stop. Im sorry if its not done by me but it needs to get done either way. Thats why i need a swap now. any questions.

there's a local dude here in bakersfield, about two hours north of you who is selling his sr 510 for 6000 grand, it's in flawless condish. he's was selling it for 8000. he's in the local camara adds or auto shopper i think.

Guys i totally understand where your coming for. I have done my research and my work. I know the 510 and 710 are similar front suspension wise. I know all of that. But the reason i want to get an SR is not because of the drift craze, but rather a need. I need a new engine. I took my car to San Fran and didn't not survive. It failed. If I want to go to school in the bay area, it needs to regularly move around swiftly. But it failed. So the SR is more power great motor, and never done before for a 510. And honest to god i wish i could do the work my self. But i cant. Now is the most perfect time to do a swap because you have to take my car away from me. SOO i just had knee surgery on monday, and my dad just gave me a downpayment for the swap at signal auto. But 500 of a downpayment is not gonna cut it. So on monday im going to ask my dads partner for a 10-12 K loan. I would pay him off as soon as im able to work for him being his bitch. Suspension and brakes would cost about 5,000. the swap is 6,000 and extras like intake and what nots would cost more. Point is this car would be sweet. Im going to take it to shows and get noticed and represent Datsun. Its a tough mountain of debut to pay but this guy has a huge heart and i know when he sees im working hard for this he would be impressed and let me stop. Im sorry if its not done by me but it needs to get done either way. Thats why i need a swap now. any questions.

dude everything from the firewall forward on the 710 is identical to the 510 the main differences is that the 710 uses a long tail tranny rather then a short tail (might not have to cut a hole for shifter) and the solid rear axle

if its been done in a 510 it can be done in almost any l series powered datsun car

yea i know that but if it has been done before i havent heard of it. But yea i do trust the qualitly of work from Signal have you seen there cars?

http://code-x.us/images/cars/SkylineFront2.JPG

there are more but still...beautiful!

and the dude wants to do it. he wants to put a Signal logo on it so if ppl ask, signal touched it.and that grows in reputation.

So wish me luck for monday. Day of money. Im going to ask my dads partner for a loan of either 10 or 12 but knowing him he might say how much to get everything done. beacuse if he says 12 ill be like i still need to take like 2,000 from my college account but we can make it work. and then he might just say how much in total-15,000 so please pray and worship or what ever you do and wish me luck for monday the day of truth.

yea i know that but if it has been done before i havent heard of it. But yea i do trust the qualitly of work from Signal have you seen there cars?

and the dude wants to do it. he wants to put a Signal logo on it so if ppl ask, signal touched it.and that grows in reputation.

So wish me luck for monday. Day of money. Im going to ask my dads partner for a loan of either 10 or 12 but knowing him he might say how much to get everything done. beacuse if he says 12 ill be like i still need to take like 2,000 from my college account but we can make it work. and then he might just say how much in total-15,000 so please pray and worship or what ever you do and wish me luck for monday the day of truth.

Who wouldn't want to take your $12k? What kind of logic is that? "HE WANTS MY MONEY!"

What?! :rolleyes:

Who wouldn't want to take your $12k? What kind of logic is that? "HE WANTS MY MONEY!"

What?! :rolleyes:

get a clue kid.

Just found this thread. Things make more sense now.

listen when i say he wants my money i mean it is the terms as such. I ask G demension they want 8,000 for a swap. I asked Mckinney they want 10,000. I asked Signal which are these people they want 6,000. Im saying they are genuine in what they want. They want it to be personal. They also want to use it as a market strategy. If my car gets noticed at shows and it says Signal there reputation grows to other markets. Other shops see it as just another swap. Signal sees it as an opportunity so with open arms they want to accept my car. I wasnt clear.

in total i have no idea. I have read all the major ones on the net. But those here yea i have. I have done that reasearch. That was easy to find stuff. It was interesting to learn diffrent methods too. I dont remember somewhere that someone said to do a complete swap in this order:

Suspension, Brakes, Engine. Someone else said Brakes, Suspension, Engine. And of course someone else said Engine, Suspension, Brakes. I think i like the last option. Anyone agree or disagree? only if it was Engine, Brakes, Suspension. Thats my order should i try this order?

you haven't read a single fucking thread. good luck with your hi dollar ride kid.

Thats really the gist of it, 17yo bs. I done with this thread, best of luck. You will need it.

yes i have, but what ever solo sos un hijodeputa en la carrera de la vida. ande chale verge a la puta que te dio vida hijodelegranputa. I will show you guys wrong. you guys seriously are trying to see minority fail. btw its your choice to respond