LZ23 with KA24 trans

DARIN 510

Hey guys, asking a question for a friend. He has an issue with his oil pan sitting very close to the crossmember. Specs are LZ23 with a Z bell housing, made it to a KA gear section. T3 trans mount with energy suspension bushing. I don’t have this issue on mine as I have a 280 ZX transmission. Any ideas what could be the issue? I’m thinking it has something to do with the bracket dimensions?

IMG_6098.jpeg

IMG_6097.jpeg

IMG_6099.jpeg

IMG_7108.jpeg

IMG_6095.jpeg

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Remove the transmission mount to cross member bolts. Does the engine shift back?

Yes.... oval the holes

No..... wrong oil pan or something wrong with the engine mounts.

Nothing critical in the front of the oil pan, just dent it in for clearance.

• Like 1

Not to side track this conversation but It might matter ... I thought the LZ combo engines need to sit in the L series configuration because of the intake.... if mated to a z series transmission the L series head would be tilted the wrong direction..

I dont know the build so he may have a solution but it might be something....

Hopefully mike comes back to comment.....

16 hours ago, DARIN 510 said:

Hey guys, asking a question for a friend. He has an issue with his oil pan sitting very close to the crossmember. Specs are LZ23 with a Z bell housing, made it to a KA gear section. T3 trans mount with energy suspension bushing. I don’t have this issue on mine as I have a 280 ZX transmission. Any ideas what could be the issue? I’m thinking it has something to do with the bracket dimensions?

Quite probably the "Z bell housing" is from a L series 280z or zx transmission. That would work if you mill clearance around and enlarge the hole for the 62mm counter bearing and drill out the 1st/2nd shift rod hole. 

As you can see the oil pan is sitting level in the L series position. If it was over to the left in the Z or KA position it would have a noticeable 18 degree tilt.

image.jpeg.3348513bf2dba2052777a7fdc320135c.jpeg

• Like 1
1 hour ago, datzenmike said:

Quite probably the "Z bell housing" is from a L series 280z or zx transmission. That would work if you mill clearance around and enlarge the hole for the 62mm counter bearing and drill out the 1st/2nd shift rod hole. 

As you can see the oil pan is sitting level in the L series position. If it was over to the left in the Z or KA position it would have a noticeable 18 degree tilt.

image.jpeg.3348513bf2dba2052777a7fdc320135c.jpeg

I read LZ and then Z bellhousing my brain was still thinking about the Z block, not a Z car bellhousing.... 

I was thinking as I read this that maybe the trans mount might be too low. I have seen lots of info on matching the pinion angle to the trans but since its a Datsun irs the pinion angle is set so the trans has to match it. It looks to me like he has the 510 pan on the engine but don't know if the engine mounts are the right ones for the 510.

On 10/18/2023 at 7:39 PM, DARIN 510 said:

IMG_6100.thumb.jpeg.1e1ef53a6fe4d7c17de820497bb731f0.jpegI’m pretty sure it’s a 510 oil pan. Pan on the right is what was used. 

If you are using the pan on the right in the pic, I do NOT think that is a 68-73 510 pan.............the REAR "pocket" looks too deep, which might mean that the FRONT of the deep sump is a tad further forward.  The other two look more correct to me.  The truck pans do not have that "pocket" at the REAR, cuz the steering linkage/center link is up front.  Can you mock up one of those other pans on the engine in the chassis............no gasket etc, 4 bolts.