Oh hell, I screwed up

jagman

It turns out that in installing my A15 engine in the Riley I misplaced the dip stick.  I have looked in all the places I normally put stuff but in a 54' X 80' space it is daunting to find something that small.   If anyone might have  spare I would appreciate getting one. Thanks Steve

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I'll try and look around this coming weekend but have almost the same problem as you (55X60). I'll put a postit note on the tool box so I remember...hopefully.

Me this weekend; Why did I call myself a dipstick?

At one time I was.....

Did a quick peek last night and the 2 blocks (A12) I have had no dipsticks. There are some tubs out there though (that I used to have inventoried on a spreadsheet).Not sure if an A12 and A15 would be the same?

I would think they would be close to one another. If I have to I will make one but would need to find out how many quarts of oil should be in the pan.  Is there a tube in the block you have where the dipstick is located?

2 hours ago, jagman said:

Thanks for the info MIke.  I will attempt to find an original if they are out there.  Just out of curiosity would a 720 with a Z24 have the same dipstick?

I'll go take some measures here in a little bit. I've got sticks for A, L, Z, and KA engines. Worst case scenario you can get a length and modify one.

Edit: annoyingly the Z22 dipstick seems to have walked off. A15 dipstick is 15 inches long (not including handle) from base of the plug into the tube to the end of the dipstick itself.

image.thumb.jpeg.c7be3199e5f5e6d3f9ee8a3305044df9.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.bdc7aaee3f84f29681bf2ccd0f89ef61.jpeg

Edited by Dguy210
23 hours ago, jagman said:

Is there a tube in the block you have where the dipstick is located?

No, just a hole in both blocks. Which now makes me wonder where the tubes are.

KELMO, Thanks for looking and you aren't the only dipstick in the shop!  But someone out there must have one.  When I stopped pit crewing for the b210 ( Sold and replaced with a 240 Z we built) the owner sold the spares with the car. Now I could use them.  Oh well.  I try to organize my day but lose the to- do lists.  They usually are found a week to a month later just where I put them.

Edited by jagman
Stupidity

Thank you DGuy210 for the snaps and the measurements.  At the least I can fill the sump and using a modified dip stick measure the distance I need for the tube in the block which went missing as well.

• Like 1
16 hours ago, jagman said:

Thank you DGuy210 for the snaps and the measurements.  At the least I can fill the sump and using a modified dip stick measure the distance I need for the tube in the block which went missing as well.

I can also just go measure one for you tomorrow if you want. 

• 3 weeks later...