10 Years Waiting

If you look at when I first accessed "Ratsun" you will see March 1st, 2013.  It was about then that I stopped at a well known 240sx shop to buy a steering rack for one of the family cars.  It was inside that I first laid eyes on a dusty 72 two door positioned in the back corner of the shop.  I asked if I could go look.  I did, and I found a complete car. I took two pictures.  I told the owner I wanted to buy it,  "Oh no," was his response.  A bit more conversation, a few more parts over the next few years, and talk started to swing to possibility that he might sell.  Sometime between year 7-9 we actually agreed on a price should the day come.  

Well that day was last week. My son and I finally went and picked up what for me is and was the only 510 for me.  10 years.  New friend.  Persistence and a dream is a reality.  Let it be known there are men who still keep their word.  Not only do they keep their word, but they are honorable as well.  

Now- Decide what route I want to take.  Right here, Right now I am not sure.  I have the shop where my son builds various types of racecars, so I am not limited there.  I am not soliciting suggestions, but merely stating that now famous line from Bubba Watson.  "I never got this far in my dream.'

Thanks for keeping my profile open,  I no longer own the 68 ford. (Dammit) but I have way to many other rides.  I think they all may get listed soon, so that I will concentrate on what is and was the wanted car of my youth.  

Thanks for reading guys and gal.

• Like 4
  • Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

You can post pictures directly here, just have to watch the limited file size.  At the bottom of the window in which I am now typing it says you can drag or choose files.  Max size 4Mb.  May look different if you are on mobile.

The box you type in

4 hours ago, iceman510 said:

You can post pictures directly here, just have to watch the limited file size.  At the bottom of the window in which I am now typing it says you can drag or choose files.  Max size 4Mb.  May look different if you are on mobile.

I believe I have to build up some "street cred" before I am allowed such an honor. I will try and find another way.

• Like 1

Nice score & welcome (back)!!  Did you get a fuel tank with it..............I see it is missing!

Don't worry about that fender edge trim...........it is aftermarket!

14 hours ago, yenpit said:

Nice score & welcome (back)!!  Did you get a fuel tank with it..............I see it is missing!

Don't worry about that fender edge trim...........it is aftermarket!

I do have a brand new gas tank. It came with the car, just not installed.  Currently lying in the back seat.  Thank you for the tip on the fender edge trim.  All those seemingly "known" things are new to me.  Ive always wanted a 510, but truthfully I am not all that knowledgeable on the details.

14 hours ago, Lachlan said:

Keen to see how this unfolds. Two-doors are rare here.

It was a 2-door or nothing for me. I have passed on some nice wagons and 4-doors over the years, but its always been an “easy” 2-door project that I wanted.

The unfolding begins with a few parts in electrolysis tank.

pmhJxHrhj

pnpajNbLj

pozVjBjoj

• Like 1

I don't know your skill level when it comes to restoring cars, but any time a new old car is brought home, there's a strong urge to tear into it.

I suggest leaving things alone until you can learn about the car. What are the real issues vs the cosmetic ones? Can I live with that color or less than perfect interior? Most times, a bit of rust is not life threatening, and even if there are bubbles showing... to what end? A full restoration? Welcome to the five year plan.

There's an old saying in my biz - you can restore a vehicle a hundred times over, but it's only original once.

• Like 2
52 minutes ago, Stoffregen Motorsports said:

I don't know your skill level when it comes to restoring cars, but any time a new old car is brought home, there's a strong urge to tear into it.

I suggest leaving things alone until you can learn about the car. What are the real issues vs the cosmetic ones? Can I live with that color or less than perfect interior? Most times, a bit of rust is not life threatening, and even if there are bubbles showing... to what end? A full restoration? Welcome to the five year plan.

There's an old saying in my biz - you can restore a vehicle a hundred times over, but it's only original once.

Five years is a bit optimistic. lol. Those a wise words, and I sincerely mean it.  The originality is still the long term goal.  In fact, I would very much like to keep the original paint.  I have opposing opinions  on that.  Some say it might be original others say it's not.  I would of liked to knock off all the sitting around dust and dirt and cleared it preservation, but I do not believe you can clear single stage.  Even if you could there would still be all the rust. Not seen here yet is the current state of the underside.  It is perfectly orange in color. The subframes and all their attached components are covered in oxidation.  So the cowl was about to be a goner, the rust was so bad.  I just wanted to see how electrolysis would react with this eras steel and one single area of paint.  Please keep the thoughts coming, whether I agree or not, I will read and endeavor to understand better why you might feel that way.  And in many cases come around to that way of thinking. 

Regards,

Ok, let me try to explain.

The pics of the cleaned cowl show perfect metal. Understood that this is after cleaning, but the critical point here is the term "rust". What does that mean? Rust, in my profession, means surface rust or even slightly pitted oxidation. Rust is not a death sentence to a car. Rot on the other hand is when the metal has lost its integrity and is no longer able to keep out moisture. Rot is usually flaky and can be poked through with a screwdriver. So you say the cowl was rusted, but what I see is near perfect steel.

As far as when does rust warrant replacement or at least abatement, for me it all boils down to two things - water tightness and/or probability of further decay. Here in the dry west, even if there is rot, if it isn't in a spot that can allow a leak into the cabin of the vehicle, or if it's not in a spot that will trap water during winter driving, I may leave it alone, in the name of keeping the aged (hopefully original) finish.

Once you open that can of worms, there is no turning back. Repairs done to one area of the body/paint will look odd against the patina'd rest of the car. Rust repair can cost tens of thousands of dollars, as it is literally just steel and time that make up the cost. Hundreds of hours can go into repairing rust or rot. If you can do it yourself, great, but there are probably better ways to spend that time, if it's not absolutely necessary, like restoring the suspension, drivetrain and underpinnings. Which leads me to my next philosophy - new chassis with patina body. I love that and strive for that on every build. Give me a car or truck with a usable body and I'll go through the frame, chassis, suspension and all the systems to perfection, and then reinstall the old body onto the newly restored chassis. Nothing better than that in my book.

It's just a slippery slope, and not just referring to money. It's the character and soul of the vehicle that is also in danger of being destroyed, or at least, changed into something other than what it was. Once the soul is gone, it's near impossible to find a new one.

I'm attaching a pic of my 'ol 320. I sold it years back, but while I owned it, I made sure that the body panels or finish would not be altered even the tiniest bit. My father in law and I used to get into arguments about restoring it. He just couldn't understand why I did not want to repaint it. I tried and tried to explain, but it fell on deaf ears. The person I sold it to insisted that as part of the deal, I replace part of the rocker panel (that has a couple tiny pinholes in it). I agreed but hated myself for doing so. Anyway, I drove it like this for a decade.

Datsun_320 028 (Small).jpg

IMG_2659 (Small).jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Not sure why, but I'm unable to view the images you've posted. 😩 First off, congrats for living the dream and bringing your 510 home after all these years. Rather than languishing in the back of a shop, it would appear this 510 is in good hands with you and your son. I envy your position in having such a great project to rattle around in your head. The fact that it's the original Japanese tuner car is icing on the cake. With so many options, you have much to learn and explore and it's refreshing to see you're open to advice, but resolute in your mind. I'm so glad to hear you say "I am not soliciting suggestions". It's very easy to be pulled in all directions that wind up compromising your vision. 

As you likely know, half the fun is in the planning. After buying the rolling chassis, it took me months in planning to get my auto cross 510 started 12 years ago. The sloppy steering box is the 510s Achilles heel. If there's one bit of advice I can pass on, it's to look into getting a JBC rack and pinion kit. Best money I've ever spent on my car. It's still not "finished" and with luck, never will be.

May the wind be at your back on this project, and enjoy the journey.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, paradime said:

Not sure why, but I'm unable to view the images you've posted. 😩 First off, congrats for living the dream and bringing your 510 home after all these years. Rather than languishing in the back of a shop, it would appear this 510 is in good hands with you and your son. I envy your position in having such a great project to rattle around in your head. The fact that it's the original Japanese tuner car is icing on the cake. With so many options, you have much to learn and explore and it's refreshing to see you're open to advice, but resolute in your mind. I'm so glad to hear you say "I am not soliciting suggestions". It's very easy to be pulled in all directions that wind up compromising your vision. 

As you likely know, half the fun is in the planning. After buying the rolling chassis, it took me months in planning to get my auto cross 510 started 12 years ago. The sloppy steering box is the 510s Achilles heel. If there's one bit of advice I can pass on, it's to look into getting a JBC rack and pinion kit. Best money I've ever spent on my car. It's still not "finished" and with luck, never will be.

May the wind be at your back on this project, and enjoy the journey.

Im sorry you can't see the images.  You're not missing much, but find solace in the fact that I only just figured out how to put them up to the forum, so it may not be your fault.

Thanks for the experienced words.  They are positive in nature and albeit somewhat obvious, they need to be said to not only inform but to remind.  

Thank you!

• Like 1