Toyota wheels on a 720

frankendat

I purchased a set of Toyota wheels for my 84 kc this winter and am preparing to Cerakote them black. The center caps are bringing questions that I cannot answer and I am hopeful these bridges have been crossed by a fellow Ratsuner.

First pic is wheel with center piece

Second pic is wheel with center piece removed and I am pointing to "extensions" that help hold the center piece. These extensions appear to be part of the wheel.

Third pic the distance between extensions is 3.57 (90mm)

Fourth pic center bore of wheel is just over 4in

Fifth pic the plastic center (with the Toyota logo) to be removed and replaced needs to be between 63mm and 80mm

Wheel3_1_25.thumb.jpg.938941b99130c68d8e8899eba1ede931.jpgWheel4_1_25.thumb.jpg.ff127caca621b6b0c14f1b581b424ece.jpgWheel1_25_2_cropped.jpg.e2798a03696acd7e93c9f38f482f07b5.jpg

Wheel6_25.thumb.jpg.529de6a87494e4f32646fddf839cee68.jpg

Wheel5_1_25.thumb.jpg.05e1a8507525f001677b18db90e047de.jpg

Wheel2_1_25.jpg

Edited by frankendat
3.57 not 3.75
  • Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

One of the pics posted out of order.

My questions concern what I call the extensions. Will the extensions clear the front hubs? If not, do the extensions pop off, hammer off or do they need to be ground down?

For the rear, the plan is to bore the Toyota centers out of the center pieces and replace/epoxy Nissan centers.

This is me asking before just grabbing a BFH

11 hours ago, frankendat said:

Will the extensions clear the front hubs?

Best way to know is to pull your front wheel off and see if you have any issues mounting the Toyota wheel on the hub. If there are problems with clearance then you can determine what the best course would be. I personally would not be taking a hammer to my wheels. 

• Like 1
5 hours ago, thisismatt said:

They...look like part of the casting?

That is my dilemma. The "extensions" look like part of the casing, but they are the same color as the plastic centerpiece and the plastic centerpiece snaps over them.
I looked and attempted to remove them with a flat head screwdriver, but quickly realized the force necessary to move them would damage the wheel, if they are part of the casing.

5 hours ago, NC85ST said:

Best way to know is to pull your front wheel off and see if you have any issues mounting the Toyota wheel on the hub. If there are problems with clearance then you can determine what the best course would be. I personally would not be taking a hammer to my wheels. 

As is often the case, I am working on a particular part while my truck is a couple hundred miles away. As for a hammer, I use it as a general term. I have a talent for deconstruction and enough tools/machines to destroy nice things, but your point is well taken.

48 minutes ago, thisismatt said:

You could machine them yourself with a router if necessary 

We are of like mind. You wouldn't happen to have the diameter measurement of the hole needed to clear the front manual locking hub on a 84KC?

In the pic it looks like 4 inches, plus the curvature of the hole, is the diameter of the hole dimension. I don't know Toyota wheels, or Datsun wheels for that matter, but 4 plus inches, with the "extensions" making that less than 4 inches is what it looks like to me. If 4 1/32 is the dimension of the hole then it is 102.4 millimeter.

Don

• Like 2
2 hours ago, Stoffregen Motorsports said:

Toyota 6 lug truck wheels almost always have the large center bore, which will fit over any hub out there. I think it's 4.125", or maybe 4.250"

You speak truth, it was a bit over 4" on my tape, my caliper wouldn't fit inside the wheel. But...

1 hour ago, 620slodat said:

In the pic it looks like 4 inches, plus the curvature of the hole, is the diameter of the hole dimension. I don't know Toyota wheels, or Datsun wheels for that matter, but 4 plus inches, with the "extensions" making that less than 4 inches is what it looks like to me. If 4 1/32 is the dimension of the hole then it is 102.4 millimeter.

Don

Yes that is my concern. In the picture with the calipers, the narrowest parts measure roughly 3.57" a smidge over  90mm. The reduction only appears at the outside of the center hole at the "extensions". It was my hope someone had dealt with rims like these and would tell the secrets.

• Like 1

Wheel_center_1_15.jpg.eed8e473f64c3d7fbf1edef7e32b11a1.jpgWheel_center_2_15.jpg.1b4e2d8ed3cb5280bcc6e6575852e4ac.jpg

In other wheel news, went to the pick and pull and scored some late model Nissan center caps, for the rear wheels-No charge. Plan to drill out the Yota logo, on the rear wheel caps, and replace with the fake chrome Nissan center caps. The combo should pop when the center piece and wheel are coated matching black. I picked up three center caps because of my habit of screwing up the first attempt.

Edited by frankendat
extra words
  • Like 1

I put Toyota rims on my 85 4x4 back in 2000,and the center caps was a hair to thick on the front cause of the 4x4 hubs. I got my Drexel tool and grinded it out in the center.They just popped in,you could pull them out.I sold them a few years ago and bought brand new ones made by American Racing,you can see my old Toyota Rims on my page.The rims I bought only came with 2 center caps cause Toyota 4x4's are manual locking hubs and front don't have any on them.They also came on the 4 runners, you can see them on my page.They had 31 tires on them that scrubbed real bad so I sold the tires and put 235-75-15 on them rims.That is what is on my American Racing rims now.They fit perfect.I bought 5 tires and rims.They were aluminum and they needed cleaning and the plastic hubs were not looking good.A guy with a 95 Nissan bought them from me.Nissan and Toyota lug nuts won't swap out.Different thread pattern.

Edited by Thomas Perkins
  • Like 2
On 6/16/2023 at 9:25 AM, Stoffregen Motorsports said:

Right. Nissan generally uses a 1.25 thread pitch and Toyota uses 1.5.

I found that out. What a bummer, the guy I bought the Toy rims from, threw in a box of lugs.

• Like 1

Not much but progress nonetheless. Quick question to help talk me out of something I really want to do. Anyone have first hand or direct experience with heat on plastic wheel caps? The bake on Cerakote is stronger than the air cure and it has a slightly different hue. I think 250 degrees for 2 hours will turn the plastic center caps into modern art, but I am on the fence; it gets plenty hot next to black asphalt on a summer day and caps survive, even in AZ. What do you think?

Wheel_Center_Caps_25.jpg

14 hours ago, Thomas Perkins said:

There are some some on Ebay for 23.49,plus free shipping,just like I have.12x 1.25Chrome.I think I paid 19.95 for mine but prices have went up.Here is what it is listed under.24pc OE Mag Style with washer 12x1.25 for Infiniti Silver .The Toyota rims I had were enkei.

Thank you for taking the time to look. Besides, everybody, including me liking new shiny things, is there a benefit to new lugs over old? At the Pick and Pull they are a dollar per.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Stoffregen Motorsports said:

I just googled "plastic melting temp" and found this - https://www.plastikcity.co.uk/useful-stuff/material-melt-mould-temperatures

image.png.4d99f84d84327967cc2067529be612a2.png

I'm SOLD. I wanted to try baking the parts, just needed a little nudge. Time to get the plastic bits media blasted, sprayed and baked. Thank you for looking into it.

• Like 1