!!!HELP!!! Diesel swap

jed burns

!!!HELP!!I have a 1982 4x4 720 with an sd22 diesel but cab is rusted beyond repair i also have a 1985 4x4 720 wich came out with a z22 engine and i wanna put the diesel engine in it.. im pretty sure i will have to move the engine mounts but what wiring would be required to make it run.. 

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Compare the engine wiring diagrams between the two trucks and you should be able to figure out what the diesel needs to run. Most systems should be compatible. Focus on the ignition system, I would think it would be the biggest difference.

The frames between the two have different motor mounting points, as you already know. Do you have all the required cab wiring from the 1982, as the wiring is different between the two motors also. A cab swap might be the easiest way as you would get the correct motor mounts, and the wiring might swap over easier also, if the frame is not rusted beyond use. 

I have a 1982 SD22 motor which I rewired without the cab mounted equipment, but with the engine mounted equipment (looks like a wiper motor). I don't remember what I did wiring wise, but I do remember that the "wiper motor" had a rod from it to the IP that controlled the diesel IP. The IP had "start (similar to choke), run, and off" positions on it. The start position was spring loaded as I remember, but the other two positions were not. The cab mounted portion had a low oil pressure shut down feature on it that I didn't have, but I figured that I might be able to use an oil pressure switch from another vehicle that had a shut down feature to do something similar.  The threads were different though, I think tapered British pipe thread as Nissan/Datsun was using this thread for the oil system on gas motors. Very close to the US tapered pipe thread.

I did use all the info that I got from the forums that I frequented to make the wiring bypass the cab mounted part of the wiring to get the key start/shut down to work the "wiper motor" though.

Wayno is the "local diesel/SD22 and SD25" guru as he also figured a way to turbo the SD22/25 with the in-line IP. The in-line IP is difficult to turbo. I don't know if he frequents this forum very much though.

Don

• Like 1
On 6/8/2023 at 6:41 AM, jed burns said:

!!!HELP!!I have a 1982 4x4 720 with an sd22 diesel but cab is rusted beyond repair i also have a 1985 4x4 720 wich came out with a z22 engine and i wanna put the diesel engine in it.. im pretty sure i will have to move the engine mounts but what wiring would be required to make it run.. 

Do you have the diesel wiring harness in the 1982?

Does your engine have the inline or rotary injection pump, do the injection lines come out of the top or back of the injection pump?

You will either need to swap cabs or cut the diesel engine mounts off the 1982 frame and weld them to the 1985 frame as they are farther forward than the Z22 mounts. 

I do not frequent this forum like I used to, I will try to remember to watch this sub forum/thread, I try to get online at least every other day.

It is a lot of work to remove and install a diesel wiring harness, not all components will fit thru the firewall holes connected to the wiring harness, if you do not have a diesel wiring harness and have the inline injection pump then you will need to use a choke cable to start and shut down the diesel engine, you will need a button/relay to warm the glow plugs to start it, doing these things make it easy to start the engine to steal the truck.

On 6/13/2023 at 9:29 AM, wayno said:

Do you have the diesel wiring harness in the 1982?

Does your engine have the inline or rotary injection pump, do the injection lines come out of the top or back of the injection pump?

You will either need to swap cabs or cut the diesel engine mounts off the 1982 frame and weld them to the 1985 frame as they are farther forward than the Z22 mounts. 

I do not frequent this forum like I used to, I will try to remember to watch this sub forum/thread, I try to get online at least every other day.

It is a lot of work to remove and install a diesel wiring harness, not all components will fit thru the firewall holes connected to the wiring harness, if you do not have a diesel wiring harness and have the inline injection pump then you will need to use a choke cable to start and shut down the diesel engine, you will need a button/relay to warm the glow plugs to start it, doing these things make it easy to start the engine to steal the truck.

Yes i have both complete utes but i can get another navara with an sd25 in it and wondering if my sd22 will go in it as its a lot tidier 

On 6/18/2023 at 1:05 PM, jed burns said:

Yes i have both complete utes but i can get another navara with an sd25 in it and wondering if my sd22 will go in it as its a lot tidier 

I do not know anything about the newer SD25 diesel engine with an electronic controlled engine(ECU???).

If you want to keep it simple title wise and you do not have emissions testing, you need to swap out the wiring harness and weld the diesel engine mounts to the Z22 frame, you cut them off the diesel frame and connect them to the engine mounts, set the engine/transmission in the 85 frame, connect the transmission mount, and spot weld the mounts to the frame, remove the engine and weld the mount brackets to the frame, you might need to remove the Z22 mount brackets.

You also need to make sure the oil pan clears everything on the 1985 frame, I am not sure if the 1982 and 1985 4wd frames are the same up front, we did not get 4wd diesel 720 trucks in the USA, anyone here that has a 4wd diesel either imported it or made it(custom oilpan).

The cabs between the 1982 and 1985 might be slightly different. The difference, if any, will be between the rear of the door and the rear of the cab. The 1985 might be slightly longer. It seems to me that they were different. All the other parts will interchange, according to my memory. My memory might be off also. 

Don

• Like 1