mklotz70 project MEND

mklotz70

Mike by pushing the control arm forward does this also push the spindle center forward mowing the wheel forward in the wheel well? 

Actually, it helps maintain the centering.  I need to find the other parts to the jig to be sure, but I'm pretty sure it's still pretty well centered.  When I had the arm pushed to the rear, it put the spindle back in the wheel well noticeably.  I think I talked about that in the first of these two vids.  

• Like 2
  • Replies 912
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Still on the list and will absolutely be done this year.......possibly, by Canby.

One of the upsides to the current work is that what I'm learning on the mill should make the prototyping of the rear much faster.  I already know that I'm not going to be using all of the Trooper stuff.  I'm not sure if it will be all nissan or not, but the Trooper stuff does not fit the stock 14" rims......which will be the primary goal with the rears.  :)

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...

(just posted this in Bory's thread, but this is where it should be)  

Nearly everything I do is in vid these days so I rarely upload pics to my photobucket anymore.  Seems all the vids related to the ball joint mod are still waiting to be edited.  I put out updates quite often, but they're on Instagram....which I typically share to my facebook, as well.  Anyway....I just put up a good pic of the CAD art for the UCA.  :)

2016%20Flat%20UCA%20Asm2.jpg

• Like 2
The tierod connectors from the HB setup are very close.....but the thread engagement is already at the min.....so I need another inch of engagement to feel comfortable.  They're going to be really beefy, but it's material I already have on hand.  The hex shaped one is stock, the round part is the raw blank, waiting to be machined and tapped with both left and right M16x1.5 taps.  The other 4 pieces are the cups for the LCA pivot.

20160322_110626.jpg

These are the tension control rod mounts that will attach to the HB LCA on the underside, near the ball joint.  The HB TC rod simply bolts to the LCA.....but this setup needs to use the stock kingpin TC rod for a couple of reasons.  The frosted one is the test piece made several years ago.  The other 4 pieces are the new ones that were milled out and then bent.  I still need to make the attachment plates.

20160324_103441.jpg

I used the cnc mill to machine the pivot hole out to the size needed for the "cup".  The cup narrows the arm so that the 521 sun bolt can be used.....which will clear the steering linkage.

20160326_152648.jpg

• Like 2

Ok Mike pictures are worth a 1,000 words, but I need words!  LOL

Need explanation of pictures

I just went back and added explanations to the pics. :)

This is exactly why I do vid instead of pics these days.......way less typing!! LOL!! :)

• Like 2

Going to try to do more pics.....we'll see how long I can keep up with this. lol

Brand new arms that have been sitting in boxes in the shed for several years now.

IMG_3929.jpg

Got the pivot hole opened up.......big hole at the bottom.....to accept the "cup"

IMG_3931.jpg

Finally! A piece that's finished!!  The new owner can decide if they're going to paint or powder coat.  These are the tie rod connectors that are an inch longer than the factory hex piece.

IMG_3932.jpg

IMG_3933.jpg
  • Like 3

I took that pic after I had already machined the pivot hole bigger for the cup.

I machined the first of the four upper arms this morning.....tacked it to the bushing tubes, mounted everything up to the frame.  I was very excited at first....clearance, caster, camber, etc all looked good.......then I took a measurement of the track width(wheel mounting surface to frame), then compared it to a frame section I have laying around.....it appears that I'm about a 1/2-3/4" too wide!!! :(    That sure ended my excitement.  I ran out of time, so I'll look at it again tomorrow morning.  The whole point of this project was to maintain stock track width......so if it's off, I will have to adjust it.  I don't think it will take much to fix, provided there aren't any other issues that pop up because of the change.

• Like 2

Well I'm sure you were a bit discouraged, but walking away for day, sometimes is the best way. You'll have a moment to think about it away from the shop, so when you go back, you'll actually be excited for the adjustment.

Keep crackin Blu Hands! Your doin awesome!

• Like 2

Well I'm sure you were a bit discouraged, but walking away for day, sometimes is the best way. You'll have a moment to think about it away from the shop, so when you go back, you'll actually be excited for the adjustment.

Keep crackin Blu Hands! Your doin awesome!

Walking away for a day simply means going to bed, then going to work, then going back in the shop. lol    Any free time at work is getting spent working on video editing or CAD/CAM work for this project.  Hopefully, tonight, I'll have some time to get started on the CAM work for the brake parts.

• Like 2