Kinda stumped

Carnes84

Ok. I have a 1981 720 4x4. Trying to figure out why I have 2 shocks per side on the front end . I've done a decent amount of googling and can't find any good information on why mine is set up this way. They are in Dyer need of being changed. Any info would be helpful. Thanks in advance.

• Like 1
  • Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

10 hours ago, Carnes84 said:

Ok. I have a 1981 720 4x4. Trying to figure out why I have 2 shocks per side on the front end . I've done a decent amount of googling and can't find any good information on why mine is set up this way. They are in Dyer need of being changed. Any info would be helpful. Thanks in advance.

dire

• Like 1

What color are the shocks? If white, most likely Rancho.

You can buy shocks based on their dimensions and Rancho has a link somewhere on their website with mounting style (pin vs eye), shock length extended an shock length compressed. If you remove a shock, you can get these measurements pretty quickly. I think the website has it listed under the "application guide", or something like that.

• Like 1

Well, Rancho has changed their website, but I did find these useful pages -

This one is for generic shocks, but there are waaaaayyyyy more lengths and styles available than are listed here.

https://www.gorancho.com/downloads/product-catalog/2017_rancho_customshocks_accessories_secure.pdf

This is their comprehensive shock listing by style and length (extended and compressed) but you'll have to pour through the pages to find what you need.

https://www.gorancho.com/downloads/product-catalog/2017_rancho_shockspecifications_secure.pdf

Or you could just pick up the phone and call 4 Wheel Parts and give them the dimensions and have them do the legwork. https://www.4wheelparts.com/

Like I said, call them. Don't look through the 4 wheel parts website. You'll never find them.

• Like 1

This is what OR'eilly's is showing for the front.Don't see any for the back.I got mine back in 2005 from OReilly's.It also says with a front raised 1 1/2 inches.So maybe someone raised your front end and added a taller shock.I found another site that has these Rancho front shocks and it also says the front has to be raised a 1  1/2 inches.The new style is Rancho 5000x.. Your's might be for a 79-81 model.Napa has these too.I had to put in Datsun.I can't find the rear one's.https://www.oreillyauto.com/detail/c/rs5000x-series/rancho-rs5000x-series-shock-absorber/ranc/rs55605/v/a/8237/automotive-truck-1981-nissan-720-pickup?q=shocks&pos=9

Edited by Thomas Perkins
  • Like 1

Might need replacing? The inner tube is now out on the rear one. Delete the rear ones and replace the inner with I guess whatever you want but definitely do not drive this on public roads until this is fixed. Upper ball joint torn boot and escaped grease with no zerk to service it. This front end is going to need some love.

• Like 1

Because more is better.

Someone mentioned that back in the '80s and early '90s, dual shocks was a thing. Most trucks didn't need dual front shock, like ever, but some people thought they would help. This idea may have come around the time when most OEM shocks were hydraulic and the gas shock technology was emerging. I personally like hydraulic shocks on a truck because they reduce the possibility of "scuttle shake" inherent with the body on frame split body (truck cab and bed) design.

The RS5000 series Rancho shocks are hydraulic.

• Like 1