bench vs bucket 620

i am trying to decide on choice of seating for my 1974 620 regular cab. i bought some buckets from a nissan exterra. i have a 1998 frontier pickup also that has a bench. so i could put the buckets in the frontier and the bench in the 620 if that would give me more legroom, since i am kinda tall. {6"3} plus i was thinking the exterra seats would bolt right into my frontier anyway, since they are so similar. what do you guys think?

datsunmisc010.jpg

datsunmisc011.jpg

bench seat

datsunmisc009.jpg

here one of my frontier for the hell of it

datsunmisc005.jpg

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Pretty sure the 720 bench is wider than the 620,... so likely the Frontier is at least that much wider ... or more. Measure it for width.

Also the 620 bench is very thin in the back rest and most buckets are very well padded and won't fit against the back window without moving the seat forward a few inches. Not quite so bad in a KC.

My first 620 was a standard cab with very nice bucket seats from a mid 80s Toyota car. The seats themselves were comfy. Them in the std cab 620 made for a very cramped seating position. When I found my second 620, also a std cab, one of the huge selling points for me was it had a stock bench seat in it. The stock 620 bench seat in the std cab made for a pretty alright ride. I'm 5' 11" and had no issue driving the truck.

The whole while, I kept my eye out for the right King Cab. I bought one a month or so ago. There is no comparison! It is unbelievable how much more room that little king cab has over a std cab.

i need a kingcab too, but i couldn't turn mine down. really i want the buckets in the frontier since i use it as a work truck, the bench is uncomfortable for long periods of time. i guess it will be to wide for the 620, and the exterra seats will be to big. so i might just have to find something quick. what kind of seat is ideal for legroom? stock bench or thin backed buckets?

Ive had a bench seat in my 620 that came from an 86.5 hardbody. It fit ok, but was only an inch or so from each door. I took that out and put in buckets from a 98 cavalier, but took them back out since i couldnt get the far enough back. Now ive got a set of buckets from a late 80's Dodge D50 that im putting in it. They seem to fit ok.

IMG_0261.jpg

Sure as hell beat the old 620 bench. Hate that one spring thats right in my ass.

IMG_0237.jpg

put many different bucket seats in my 620 standard cab and it was like i was like havn sex with the steering wheel ,didnt really fit good so im still with mystock bench seat but going to install 90 mazda bench seat still lot of room and comfortable ,the stock 620 bench seat is like and old hidabed

thanks guys, i will try to fit the bench in since obviouosly the bulky exterra have no place in the 620. i got a great deal on them anyway and i have wanted to get buckets for the fronty, since i drive to to my regelar job, and then drive it all night delivering pizza's!hopefully the bench isn't to wide. could somone measure the width of the 620 cab for me? the truck is an hour away getting paint and a clutch and will be ready for my first drive real soon. but i dont have any seats! so it would really help me out to know if i can fit this bench. so anyone think exterra seats will bolt right into a frontier? seems logical. thanks again

how you tall guys fit in a std cab is a mystery to me... no matter what seat is in there ;)

on the topic of seats though... I've been trying to figure out how to cut a bench seat down to 2/3 width so I can have a bucket for the driver and a bench that snugs up against the right hand side of the bucket. That seemed like an annoying amount of work so I was looking at the short bench seats that come in dodge minivans (middle seat)

on the older ones the back of the seat folds down forward to level. Seems like that would be pretty cool for getting at stuff behind the KC seat and for setting larger items on (that you don't want to put in the bed like groceries)

I used to have a spare one around here... wonder what I did with it

how you tall guys fit in a std cab is a mystery to me... no matter what seat is in there ;)

on the topic of seats though... I've been trying to figure out how to cut a bench seat down to 2/3 width so I can have a bucket for the driver and a bench that snugs up against the right hand side of the bucket. That seemed like an annoying amount of work so I was looking at the short bench seats that come in dodge minivans (middle seat)

on the older ones the back of the seat folds down forward to level. Seems like that would be pretty cool for getting at stuff behind the KC seat and for setting larger items on (that you don't want to put in the bed like groceries)

I used to have a spare one around here... wonder what I did with it

if i remember correclty the 90-94 ford ranger had a 60 40 split bench seat that fits in the 620

6'-3"?!:blink: Dude u need a KingCab! U could have no seat in the standard cab and be cramped! I am 6'-1" and I have buckets in my truck. They are out of a 76 K.C. and r some of the thinnest back buckets I have seen & I am really cramped. They look great, and I can put speaker boxes behind them tho. The bench gave a lot more room but u r sitting @ a 90 degree angle! I had a 79 620 standard cab with a Mazda bench seat in it & it was the most comfy outta all of them. Bottom-Line.....KingCab baby!

lean back, nice that would give me a little more room, plus looks cool. and datdoug-you have to remember i'm in Atlanta, i have never seen a kingcab in person! i will get one, once i start driving the truck around i'm sure someone will tell me about one in a backyard somewhere. thanks for all the tips guys, i should have the 620 back on saturday, it is looking really good. my friend made a paint match to the stock orange and touched up/buffed out everything.

Well i wont be messing with buckets after all. I got a nice bench seat in the truck i bought today.

IMG_0634.jpg

On the other hand, how hard is it to fit buckets from a 720 into a 620? I also found a nice set of them in the pick and pull.

IMG_0497.jpg

• 1 month later...
anyone have any experience with 240z seats? I thought they would have a cool oem look but dont know if its do-able

anything is doable. You can make new mounting tabs, or bend the existing ones and drill the needed holes. Unless someone that has done it, ask to borrow one of those seats from a buddy and test fit it and see what you would need to do to get it to fit. In all honesty, unless your short, and even then, if you have a regular cab, your not gonna be able to recline with buckets. Im 6ft. and well, its a squeeze. My girl who is 5ft fits perfect, althought she needs the seats alittle higher than where I mounted them.

I have s13 240sx seats in mine, I cut the mounting tabs off the rails and welded new ones one.