1979 Datsun 620 Heater hose set, heater core and Heater control valve

stingraylx1

Need new upper and lower heater hoses. RA has straight hose by the FT and other sites are not clear on options for upper and lower.

I would like to find the OE or equivalent hoses, are they available or should I pull them and try to match close fit options at Napa?

Truck has sat for 20 plus years, does not seem to leak at heater core or valve and leak is the hose or Elbow connector. Thoughts on removing system,  flushing core and inspecting valve only, cleaning, repacking foam seal, testing fan, switch and resistor and adjusting controls.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

You don't need to remove to flush, just turn heat to full HOT and run water through the hoses from  the engine side with a garden hose. Run in both directions several times and until the water runs clear.

Measure the inner diameter of the hose on the engine side and buy some from NAPA. Get new SS hose clamps. Pretty sure I replaced mine in my 620 and with some careful work you can work around the bends. If there is a tight 90 use a copper pipe bend.

• Like 1

Pulled the 3 OE heater hoses, removed front access panel on heater box and vacuumed the debris from critters. The heater control valve is seized, pulled it and have it soaking in penetrating oil.

Flushed the core from both directions and flow seems to be unrestricted.

PN options for replacement hoses I could find with slight modification, near perfect Oe fit.

Upper heater hose- Dayco PN 87881 cut to fit

Lower heater hose- Napa PN1170 cut to fit,  one 5/8. X 5/8 heater hose 18o degree straight barb fitting and one Foot 5/8 straight heater hose, connected the 2 pieces together.

Heater hose connecting front heater core to heater control valve, Dayco PN 880400 cut to fit.

8 clamps

If the heater control valve does not free up I try to rebuild the internals???

Cleaned the lubricated the heater controls, motor and resistor is good.

Thanks for the input, I appreciate the content and knowledge within Ratsun.

I will try to upload some photos of the newly acquired 620.

Between the windshield and the rear of the hood is the plenum that feeds air to the heater core. It can fill with leaves, fir needles and maple keys. 4 or 5 screws and the louvered cover lifts off to expose the wiper linkages and the plenum. Inside on the far right and left sides are small drain holes. Make sure these are clear to allow rainwater out so it doesn't rust out the seam under the windshield behind the dash.

• 3 weeks later...

Make sure your heater core fins are clean.
If you do not get good flow, you will burn up your resistor.
620's are notorious for organic material getting into the heater core.
I am working on a 3-d printed screen to go over the fresh air intake under the cowl in the orange circle

DATSUN LEAF CATCHER.jpg

I found 20 units in Serbia, I bought 5 to test then bought the other 15, but they have all been sold.
I kept 5 for myself and had a stainless plate made so it could be adapted to the
heater box mount. The throw in the old mount is perfect & they are rebuildable

306863124_DATHEAT.thumb.jpg.8a5404f1927b2da83cb6368582374447.jpg1524555107_DATSUNR14BULK008.thumb.JPG.8919ef0184e192a57751be3521eb886d.JPG1463153686_DATHEAT2.thumb.jpg.2cbdb2f450e0bb832ce91b88f14f99c4.jpg1099896963_DATHEAT3.thumb.jpg.ec90309e642c8880bcffb28ad582f7d7.jpg598957949_DATHEAT4.thumb.jpg.5dc5261fe0fa91785ec582b8c7b94766.jpg

23 hours ago, Goemon said:

Make sure your heater core fins are clean.
If you do not get good flow, you will burn up your resistor.
620's are notorious for organic material getting into the heater core.
I am working on a 3-d printed screen to go over the fresh air intake under the cowl in the orange circle

DATSUN LEAF CATCHER.jpg

On the bottom of the plenum, on the far left and right, are two small drain holes that open behind the rears of the fenders just forward of the top door hinge. They are smaller than your finger and plug easily with maple keys or pine needles. Keep cleaned out or water has no way out and wet leaves rust it out.

1524555107_DATSUNR14BULK008.thumb.JPG.8919ef0184e192a57751be3521eb886d.JPG

Technically, these are Nissan parts now.

• Thanks 1
  • 1 year later...
On 12/4/2021 at 3:19 PM, Goemon said:

The Renault 14 was made from 1976 to 1983. This was the only L shaped valve I have found that will work like an original.
Any R-14 valves that you find are all in Europe though.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Renault_14#:~:text=The Renault 14 is a,Renault between 1976 and 1983.&text=It was the first car,14's production in the factory.

Hello,

I am in Europe and I am working on a 73 510. Do you think it can work for it ?

My valve is in L-shape too (see picture).

I have changed the heater control valve from a 79 Honda Civic with a control valve from a Datsun 1200. As I am French, I would be happy to use a Renault part to repair a Datsun car !

Thanx,

Ouki

IMG_20230226_190155.jpg

• Like 1
5 hours ago, oukippy said:

Hello,

I am in Europe and I am working on a 73 510. Do you think it can work for it ?

My valve is in L-shape too (see picture).

I have changed the heater control valve from a 79 Honda Civic with a control valve from a Datsun 1200. As I am French, I would be happy to use a Renault part to repair a Datsun car !

Thanx,

Ouki

IMG_20230226_190155.jpg

Since the 510 heater valves are long discontinued & hard to find NOS, your other option is to buy the Datsun 240Z valve (still available from Nissan) & use the internal plunger & seals in your 510 valve body.  The Datsun 620 truck heater valve uses the same internal parts, but those too are discontinued & hard to find.......as the original poster mentioned!

• Thanks 1

It sux that people promoted destroying 620 parts to save their 
other cars instead of someone coming up with a better solution.

2 orings and a stop washer is all it takes for seals, you can stop the leaks with new orings,
but you haven't "REBUILT" shit unless you put a NEW Stop Washer in the valve.
Now a damn 620 valve is extinct due to everyone using them for sacrifice.

The R-14 valve isn't going to work in any other Datsun if it works in the 620 or people would have been running 620 valves instead of gutting them
to fix theirs........HUH?????
The steel valve body is a RANCO 620 aftermarket next to a R-14 valve body in the second pic

Once the washers are done, I'll be able to rebuilt this valve until the brass wears out.

image.thumb.jpeg.9c14237d3ff0cd14524fb7317797d17a.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.b30a9a38a5a7d3730b48ab8894819330.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
On 3/4/2023 at 9:05 PM, Goemon said:

It sux that people promoted destroying 620 parts to save their 
other cars instead of someone coming up with a better solution.

2 orings and a stop washer is all it takes for seals, you can stop the leaks with new orings,
but you haven't "REBUILT" shit unless you put a NEW Stop Washer in the valve.
Now a damn 620 valve is extinct due to everyone using them for sacrifice.

The R-14 valve isn't going to work in any other Datsun if it works in the 620 or people would have been running 620 valves instead of gutting them
to fix theirs........HUH?????
The steel valve body is a RANCO 620 aftermarket next to a R-14 valve body in the second pic

Once the washers are done, I'll be able to rebuilt this valve until the brass wears out.

image.thumb.jpeg.9c14237d3ff0cd14524fb7317797d17a.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.b30a9a38a5a7d3730b48ab8894819330.jpeg

Geez dood, it was just a suggestion 😝.  And the 620 valve is NOT extinct because people used them to rebuild others, they are extinct because Nissan decided to DISCONTINUE them, like most other Datsun parts, from a LACK of sales etc.  It is all about supply & demand 🤑

7 hours ago, yenpit said:

It is all about supply & demand

Ain't that the truth for everything

Like I told a guy that had a survivor Model T that he was asking huge $$ for - it's only worth that price if you have a buyer. No demand = oversupply.

• Like 2

It's OK, 
There are a LOT of Z car parts that will fit a 620 and a lot are now NLA since I told everyone where to get 620 parts.
Sellers on Ebay have OEM  stuff listed as fitting Z cars and no mention of fitting anything else. If you know Datsun, you know better.
I just ordered some more stuff from Z Car Depot again for my 620 and I always buy 2 of everything I can
so there goes more demand on the Z car parts availability = NLA and more parts unavailable to Z cars. 

image.thumb.jpeg.e52f17025ffaf08713fc4f238b3f6f4b.jpeg                                                                                                                                                                                   

26 minutes ago, Goemon said:

It's OK, 
There are a LOT of Z car parts that will fit a 620 and a lot are now NLA since I told everyone where to get 620 parts.
Sellers on Ebay have OEM  stuff listed as fitting Z cars and no mention of fitting anything else. If you know Datsun, you know better.
I just ordered some more stuff from Z Car Depot again for my 620 and I always buy 2 of everything I can
so there goes more demand on the Z car parts availability = NLA and more parts unavailable to Z cars. 

image.thumb.jpeg.e52f17025ffaf08713fc4f238b3f6f4b.jpeg                                                                                                                                                                                   

Is it possible to find a compatibility list somewhere? Concerning 620 and 510.

• Like 1
4 hours ago, oukippy said:

Is it possible to find a compatibility list somewhere? Concerning 620 and 510.

I've been involved in Datsun parts for 25++ years (other classic car parts for over 40++ years).  I was one of the people a number of years ago, that contacted a couple of the suppliers regarding the reproduction 240Z ignition lock assemblies & the chrome plastic dash "eyeball" vents, letting them know that they interchanged with the 510!  Shortly thereafter, they were all listing to fit both the 240Z & the 510.  That said, I have never seen a full compatibility/interchange/crossover list, cuz it would be a big undertaking, but there are some threads on here, "pinned" at the beginning of each "page", that do offer some interchange info.

We work on LOTS of Z cars at work & I am a big 510 nut, so we have figured out some other interchanges, but have not assembled a list.  Again, that would be a big undertaking, although very useful to the Datsun community!  As this Datsun market grows & builds, ya never know what might crop up!

• Thanks 1