Black

Black Leather

5 speed

2 month old clutch and transmission

tinted windows

nice catback and exhaust

stock bose stereo

stock bugatti's

needs a few items call or email for details.

open to offers 2600 OBO. Willing to negotiate need to sell need the cash for another car. May entertain trades for gti/golf/subaru but more interested in selling . No reasonable offer will be refused. trades prefered to be 5 speeds

josh_mcpherson08@yahoo.com

joshmcpherson@vzw.blackberry.net

503 320 9346 call or text for more info

keywords; vw, volkswagen, jetta, golf, audi, a4, 5 speed, gti

What do you guys think? I need a decent MPG car and since my truck isn't doing that, I figured why not go VW. He says its got 176,xxx miles, needs a "rear window regulator", rear brakes, and tires for winter. I know I'm gonna talk him down, just wondering how far down I should aim for and if it's even worth bothering with.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

And overpriced parts.

Ever buy a 600 buck alternator?

A friend of mine did for his VW, and sold it short while later

You want economy, buy a japanese 4 cyl.

Toy, Nis,

Mitsu and Maz sometimes have hard time finding parts.

Keep it simple, and cheap. Don't start "modding" it.

And sure as hell don't buy some german turd you want to try and tweak, that STOCK parts alone are $$$...

in seeing the struggles my friend had with his jetta, my opinion would be stay away from it. that car electrically was the biggest piece of junk i have seen. all 4 of his window regulators went out, his ignition went out, his electric locks stopped working, you had to hit the corner of the hood just right to get one of the headlights to go on. not to mention how expensive parts are for them. he finally just cut his losses and sold it for 1/3 of what he bought it for.

It "can" be a good car. If you are serious about buying it, try everything! IMO if you're looking for something reliable without the worry of having to work on it, get something that is near stock, service records are a big plus, carfax of course always helps and so on.

Get the low down on it and see if it looks like he's telling the truth. If it seems like a project or needs work, don't buy it!

KBB says $3,370 for Fair Condition-

• "Some mechanical or cosmetic defects and needs servicing but is still in reasonable running condition.

• Clean title history, the paint, body and/or interior need work performed by a professional.

• Tires may need to be replaced.

• There may be some repairable rust damage."

My suggestion would be a Honda or something asian. Get a stock 88-91 crx or civic. I bought a 89 crx hf that burned some oil(1qt an oil change), but it got 67mpg!!! Sold it to a friend and we rebuilt the motor(bearings, rings, and so on) and it only gets 34mpg!

You can pick up a stock crx with 180-200k miles, 5 speed and in okay condition for <1k, do some preventative maintenance and be good for another 80-90k and get 40+mpg.

the 98 GLX is a good car. the VR6 is a near bullet proof motor. the only MAJOR issue with them is the guides for the timing chains. and some electrical issues. all in all though good cars. even better parts cars for the older ones. 92 and earlier. :D

I had a 96 GTI back in 99... only a couple years old so should have been a good car... till the electrical problems started popping up a week after owning it. It started with the cigerette lighter... which I was only using for my radar detector, then the car wouldn't start, dealer came and picked it up and said it will cost $3000 to fix, I didn't bother asking what that entailed... got my money back and bought a honda... problem solved.

I was a mechanic for 10 years. VW's were the only cars I couldn't make money on. After they get 5 or 6 years under their belt they start changing hands often. It's cheaper to dump it than fix one thing after another after another. Did you notice that the add didn't say "need a bigger car" or "moving out of the country". This dude just wants a DIFFERENT car. Big red flag. Buy a Honda.

buy a 1988-91 Honda Civic. Cheap, reliable, and economical (especially the non-SI engines)

1988+ had fuel injection. Prior to 88, some had a carb. Still a good car but the main problem you run into is carb issues.

the main problem is parking it and come back and its missing.:mad:

but my overall favorite amongs dem hondas.

my buddy has an SI he bought new with 200k plus on the og motor he garages it so its in immaculate condition exterior/interior wise he hadly drives it if at all.

everytime he does someone trys to steal it.

• 2 weeks later...

Why not update, I'm currently looking at a 88 Accord LXi. I'll let the craigslist ad speak for itself. Just got off the phone with him. His wife-to-be bought it from a couple of old people who put the scuffs in the bumpers and decided to sell it. They have the service records for as long as they have had it, maybe some of the old peoples. There's a couple other people looking at it too .Gonna hopefully get a look at it before the snow/freezing rain set in. Opinions welcome and wish me luck! The 16-18 MPG is killing me going to Longview and back and I need a good MPG car.